Question about shedding...

kittycats74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat's shedding really bad lately and my mom is thinking about GIVING HER AWAY !! Ahhhh. I just want to know if she will stop shedding after summer is over... Or if there is some type of medicine or something I can give her to have her stop shedding so much [ if its not harmful to her health]

thanks
jackie

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a brush and brush her daily as this will help take away any loose hairs.

She'll be shedding her winter coat i'd imagine because my two are at the moment.

But if you brush her it also helps to stop her getting furballs.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll move this to Care & Grooming. Generally cats do have shedding "seasons" where it's worse than normal (spring and fall). The best thing to do is brush her regularly so that you and the brush can get the majority of the fur off before it gets to the furniture.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What is she eating?? I find if the omega 6 is over 3.5% shedding is lessened ...

redhairedgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frodo is SUCH a hairy boy! I've never seen a cat shed so much. I've found that it's greatly reduced when I use a little shedding blade (that sounds sooo cruel, doesn't it?) once or twice a week. I think I could probably make a coat out of what he leaves behind!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycats74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i didn't even know that a shedding blade existed! haha does it trim the fur? i am thinking about just getting her shaved. its so frustrating

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
no a shedding blade is similiar to one used on a horse ... it just pulls the top layer to help with dead hair

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties are losing their winter coat now. I brush them daily..it really helps.

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here are my best three suggestions based on when I was <18 years old living at home with parents and they didn't care for my pets:

1. Feed high quality food to help with the quality of the fur
2. Groom every other day to remove stray hairs
3. Volunteer to vacuum the house two times a week and dust once a week

Yes, it involves some work but those are three realistic steps you can take and any reasonable parent will see you are making a good effort of things.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also hear that stress causes them to shed more than normal.

Even though my boys are shedding their winter coat, they still aren't shedding all that much.. they never have really shed much at all. =)

random

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is a shedding blade that circular looking comb thingy?

What kind of brushes do you recommend for controlling shedding? I tried a regular cat brush and it barely picked up any of my cat's hair. Bought a slicker brush, which helps a little bit, but I still don't think I'm getting even a tiny bit of what he's shedding at the moment.

Why oh why did my Siamese Mix have to inherit the thick coat that most domestic cats have?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by random

Is a shedding blade that circular looking comb thingy?

What kind of brushes do you recommend for controlling shedding? I tried a regular cat brush and it barely picked up any of my cat's hair. Bought a slicker brush, which helps a little bit, but I still don't think I'm getting even a tiny bit of what he's shedding at the moment.

Why oh why did my Siamese Mix have to inherit the thick coat that most domestic cats have?
Yup the circular thing is likely a shedding blade... I use/my mom uses a flea comb on my slick yet long haired sister Kandie... I use a one of those flexible brush that pushes the hair of on Zoey...though I aint sure that is right for her pelt like coat