Question About Ringworm

treuor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I went to the vet almost four weeks ago, and the vet told me that my cat was carrying ringworm because I had gotten it, yet she showed no signs and nothing showed up on her. Anyway, she gave me a shampoo that I've been using twice a week for three weeks now. I'm due to go home for thanksgiving in a few days, so I was wondering if she's cured of it now? I've been cuddling her to the max and nothing has shown up since I've been bathing her. I've EXTENSIVELY cleaned my place, so there shouldn't be any spores left over (or very few). But the internet is super confusing about ringworm. Like, she never got it herself, but it was on her fur? So, is that less serious? Vet told me to do the shampoo for 3-4 weeks and I plan to do it at least once more before I leave, but I'm taking her with me. Is 2 shampoos at this point really that different than 1? If I were to just shampoo her one more time before I leave to go home and come back and I'm done with ringworm? She was a shelter cat, so I assume she got it there. But I can't see it and that fact irritates me!!! I want to know how good she is before I go home with her since we have two cats at home. The vet said she'd be fine, but I guess I want to be sure if I just do one more bath instead of and 8th bath, is she fine? She's got six baths so far, and I'm definitely gonna give her her 7th, but is the 8th definitely necessary before I go home.....?

akirababe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would definitely suggest listening to what your vet said. I'm sure she has seen it enough times to know what treatment works... and doctors of all kinds do tend to suggest more than is strictly necessary in every situation, but that's often a failsafe in case your particular case is more stubborn than normal. Just like there are antibiotic resistant drugs, I'm sure there are antifungal resistant fungi. If you're unsure about the extra bath being necessary, I would recommend talking to another vet about it. If you skipped that bath and it brought it home with you and it infected your other cats, you would definitely regret that more than giving the extra bath, I'm sure.