question about raw and dry

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forget why can't a cat have raw and dry together? I know it does something but i forgot what and how long after eating raw or dry before they can have the other?

My curiosity is getting to me lol

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The theory is that raw and dry digest at different rates with kibble digesting much slower and feeding together could trigger digestive issues. With that said, there's no real science behind that theory. Well to be specific feeding raw and kibble at some point in the day, I don't think it's good to feed them at the same time for the reasons in the article above. There was an experiment done with dogs that were fed kibble and raw without issue.

With that said, I feed raw and kibble (and wet). Not at the same time, but my cats eat both without issue. I don't feed them at the same time. Raw in the AM, kibble 2-3 hours later as a snack, raw in the PM, kibble overnight as a snack. I feed high quality kibble thats lower in carbs/fillers, which I think matters. I'll be honest though there have been times they've eaten kibble an hour or so after eating their raw meal, but they've never had any issues. 

I don't necessarily recommend people do this, but it works in my household based on my various cats needs. My older cats eat some kibble and refuse to transition all to way to raw, so i go with what works. 

Last edited: