Question about number of cats

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi Mark,

Thank you for doing this for us. This isn't a state specific question, but I live in Oregon.

What is the quickest way for folks to find out how many animals they can safely have in their home? I have heard from some private rescuers in the past who are afraid to even approach the subject with officials for fear they will be targeted and they will be *visited.*

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in my case, after Lil had her kittens, which bumped us up from 4 cats to 10, I placed an anonymous call to the local SPCA and asked how many cats you were allowed to have if you lived in my town. They were able to answer me right away! (There is no limit in my town, BTW.)

mark kumpf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hissy
Hi Mark,

Thank you for doing this for us. This isn't a state specific question, but I live in Oregon.

What is the quickest way for folks to find out how many animals they can safely have in their home? I have heard from some private rescuers in the past who are afraid to even approach the subject with officials for fear they will be targeted and they will be *visited.*
First, check your local website for your city, county or town. Often the codes are posted on the website or access to them can be located there.

The website www.municode.com has numerous state and local codes online for free.

Call the local city clerk's office. They should have a copy that you can get.

Local libraries usually have all the municipal codes including animal laws and zoning regs.

If all else fails, call. I don't know of any jurisdiction that requires you to give your name an address to obtain an answer to a simple question.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
A friend of mine who lives in Jerusalem was told by the city vet that the max number there is 4. She has 14 cats - but as they are all in perfect condition, the vet said he's not going to do anything about it. The regulation is there to protect the animals from hoarders or the neighbors from nusiance. As her cats were neither hoarded, nor bothering anyone, they decided to let her have them all. He did however use that clause to threaten her that if takes care of any ferals outside (even only neutering without feeding), they will come down on her on having too many cats.

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called all the SPCA's and all the animal controls and county animal shelters in my area and not one of them answered the phone, they all had recordings and I was very frustrated because I also wanted to know the limit. I finally called the State Humane Association and she said no more then 3 dogs or pigs (pigs? I don't own pigs!) and no more then 7 cats! I was expecting her to say like 4 or something, so I feel better now!

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live, you can have two dogs (more if you have a permit) and an unlimted amount of cats, birds, rabbits, reptiles etc. I don't think it's fair that would have to get a permit if I ever wanted more than two dogs.