Question about mating a Persian cat

feras4455

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
فهرس.jpg

Hello, how are you
I have an adult Persian cat
Is it appropriate to mate with a british longhair male?
How will the kittens be to the mother or the father
This male..
hjhj.JPG

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have papers for your queen? Breeding rights? The myriad of necessary genetic testing and screening needed for Persians (PKD, PRM, HCM; FIV and FELV are also generally tested for prior to breeding to avoid risk of infection)? She also looks to have small nostrils, which contributes to difficulty breathing, which could pass onto her kittens. Does she have at least one championship? Are you an established breeder with a cattery who's had any training on what to do if something goes wrong with the pregnancy?

I wouldn't breed her at all if answers to any of the above questions are 'no'. I especally wouldn't recommend breeding her to a stud of a different breed -- what purpose would the crossing serve? BLHs have Persian ancestry, so they're prone to very similar issues. Responsible stud owners will not breed their studs to queens of a different breed, which means it's likely the stud isn't tested, either, which doesn't bode well for the kittens.

Generally, breeding is done to improve the breed. In the case of Persians, it means breeding for the flat-faced standard -- crossing to a BLH, with a less brachy face, is the opposite of that. Only reason to breed pedigrees of different breeds is to outcross, and with BLHs having Persian ancestry, it's a bit pointless, as it wouldn't add to health, or improve standard of either.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a lovely cat! May I ask why you want to breed her, and why you chose a cat of a different breed? "Designer" cats do not have the same cachet as "designer" dogs do, and mixed-breed kittens can be very difficult to find homes for, as there are just so many of them in shelters now. Maurey Maurey brings up some excellent questions. Take a hard look at them, and at why you want to breed, especially out-breed.

But again, she's gorgeous!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
feras4455 feras4455 as you may have realised by now, this site is pro spay and neuter and does not advocate breeding cats unless you are a registered professional breeder.
It is included in our forum rules:
3. This is a pro-spay-and-neuter website. Please make sure to spay and neuter your cats. Unless you are a professional breeder and your cat is part of a professional breeding program, please educate yourself to the importance of spaying and neutering by the time your cat is 4-6 months old. Read More Here.

This is why you are getting these responses to your question.
Your cats truly are gorgeous, but the arguments against breeding have been well covered by our members. Please do read them. :)