Question About Feeding My 7 Month Old Kittens.... see below

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed my kittens/cats a combo of dry food (which is left out all day) and usually some canned food in the morning and evening.

What I'd love to know is for those of you who feed this way, just how much canned food, approximate ounces, of canned food do you or should I be giving them? I've read some of the various info online that is based on weight, so please don't quote that info.

I've been splitting a small can, 2.75 oz. Whole Earth..., between the two in the morning and another at night and I'm wondering if that is enough?

It is just so expensive to buy decent canned food. Also, sub question, is it more cost effective to buy the larger 5oz cans or 2.75 oz cans in bulk????

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed almost exactly how you do. It is what works for my household and my cats. We also split food but mine is a pouch and topper between three cats. They are gravy lovers so usually once all the juices are gone they leave the leftovers. I've found that whatever amount of wet you feed, if you have dry out between without limits that it will be enough. Sometimes it will be too much and you'll have to figure out how to limit the dry between. But I've never had a problem with a cat not eating enough when they have the option to free feed. Now some people will argue that you should feed less dry and more wet, they wouldn't necessarily be wrong since wet if usually more healthy. But, at least in my case, two wet meals a day are all I can ensure regularity with my work schedule and I really don't like doing wet only with less than three meals a day. My own personal perspective of course.

As for larger cans, typically yes buying the larger ones and splitting it into your AM/PM feedings is more economical. In my case, my picky fluffs won't eat cold food out of the fridge and you have to store open food in the fridge. Also, between food sensitivities and preferences there isn't a large can wet food my group will eat. But many years ago my rainbow kitty would split a can for his AM/PM meals without any problem. Just depends on your cats and food choices. You can bring the food to room temperature by putting the can in a shallow dish of warm water or sitting it out a little before meal time. My crew claims I am tricking them and it isn't right even with those tricks though which is just my group being extra special.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed almost exactly how you do. It is what works for my household and my cats. We also split food but mine is a pouch and topper between three cats. They are gravy lovers so usually once all the juices are gone they leave the leftovers. I've found that whatever amount of wet you feed, if you have dry out between without limits that it will be enough. Sometimes it will be too much and you'll have to figure out how to limit the dry between. But I've never had a problem with a cat not eating enough when they have the option to free feed. Now some people will argue that you should feed less dry and more wet, they wouldn't necessarily be wrong since wet if usually more healthy. But, at least in my case, two wet meals a day are all I can ensure regularity with my work schedule and I really don't like doing wet only with less than three meals a day. My own personal perspective of course.

As for larger cans, typically yes buying the larger ones and splitting it into your AM/PM feedings is more economical. In my case, my picky fluffs won't eat cold food out of the fridge and you have to store open food in the fridge. Also, between food sensitivities and preferences there isn't a large can wet food my group will eat. But many years ago my rainbow kitty would split a can for his AM/PM meals without any problem. Just depends on your cats and food choices. You can bring the food to room temperature by putting the can in a shallow dish of warm water or sitting it out a little before meal time. My crew claims I am tricking them and it isn't right even with those tricks though which is just my group being extra special.
Hey, thanks for the great response. I have a 7 year old cat who doesn't eat canned food to often but I'm trying to change that. I haven't had kittens in YEARSSSSS, so its nice to get others perspective. Years ago I mostly gave my cat (who lived to 17) dry food only and canned food on special occasions and she was health.... I do regret not giving her more canned food.

I guess with my two kittens, 7 months old, I'm just hoping I'm giving them enough wet food daily for developmental reasons, I guess. So technically the kittens currently get one 2.75oz can per day, split between am/pm. Canned food is crazy, $1.00 plus x 30+ days $$$$$ So you think the larger cans would be more economical instead of the smaller cans. Now my thinking was the one 5oz can for the 2 kittens per day (so split into 4 servings) plus the dry food, do you think that is enough specifically canned food??

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've done kittens (my last one was 12 years ago!) but I did a 3 oz can morning and night, so two a day, with dry food left out at all times. I primarily used Fancy Feast kitten as I like the price and the ingredients are better than some of the "mid range" foods.

Per oz, larger cans tend to be more economical. American Journey on Chewy has 13oz cans and they are suitable for All Life Stages. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now my thinking was the one 5oz can for the 2 kittens per day (so split into 4 servings) plus the dry food, do you think that is enough specifically canned food??
Yes. That is enough. Just make sure dry food is always available especially with kittens. You can limit more when they are older but kittens can go through crazy growth spurts where they have massive caloric requirements to keep up with.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
What I'd love to know is for those of you who feed this way, just how much canned food, approximate ounces, of canned food do you or should I be giving them?
A 7 month old kitten is still very much a kitten. It is good to feed them wet food as wet food is full of proteins and minerals which the kitten need in their formative year. Also wet food keeps them hydrated.
Feed them as much wet food as they can eat at one sitting. You can never overfeed a kitten. They only mature at 1 year old if their are of the normal breeds and the bigger breeds takes 2 - 4 years to mature.

At 7 month old, your kittens are going through a stage called 'Growth Spurt' and at this point, they'll tend to eat more than usual. Also, their adult teeth should all be in by this time.
This growth spurt period will stretch till they are around a year and a half and you'll notice that their food intake will slowly taper off and they'll be eating less.

A kitten before they are mature needs around 250 to 300 calories per day as they are very active. After they have matured, they need around 200 - 250 calories peer day depending on their daily activities. The more active they are, the more calories they need.

The instructions on the label of the can that tells how much to feed is just a guideline. You don't have to follow that, just follow your kittens stomach which is the most accurate and that will tell you how much to feed them.

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
A 7 month old kitten is still very much a kitten. It is good to feed them wet food as wet food is full of proteins and minerals which the kitten need in their formative year. Also wet food keeps them hydrated.
Feed them as much wet food as they can eat at one sitting. You can never overfeed a kitten. They only mature at 1 year old if their are of the normal breeds and the bigger breeds takes 2 - 4 years to mature.

At 7 month old, your kittens are going through a stage called 'Growth Spurt' and at this point, they'll tend to eat more than usual. Also, their adult teeth should all be in by this time.
This growth spurt period will stretch till they are around a year and a half and you'll notice that their food intake will slowly taper off and they'll be eating less.

A kitten before they are mature needs around 250 to 300 calories per day as they are very active. After they have matured, they need around 200 - 250 calories peer day depending on their daily activities. The more active they are, the more calories they need.

The instructions on the label of the can that tells how much to feed is just a guideline. You don't have to follow that, just follow your kittens stomach which is the most accurate and that will tell you how much to feed them.
Thank you for your response and such detailed info. I'm 55 and am aware of how kitten/cats mature.... just wanted to see how many oz of canned food to feed my little monsters. Thanks again.

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
It's been a while since I've done kittens (my last one was 12 years ago!) but I did a 3 oz can morning and night, so two a day, with dry food left out at all times. I primarily used Fancy Feast kitten as I like the price and the ingredients are better than some of the "mid range" foods.

Per oz, larger cans tend to be more economical. American Journey on Chewy has 13oz cans and they are suitable for All Life Stages. :)
Yeah, its been much longer then 12 years since I've had kittens too. I looked at the Fancy Feast Kittens but the one I looked at has milk which if I recall cats actually should not have milk as they can't tolerate it???

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, its been much longer then 12 years since I've had kittens too. I looked at the Fancy Feast Kittens but the one I looked at has milk which if I recall cats actually should not have milk as they can't tolerate it???
Ok, i just looked again and they have others that don't have milk, BUT they have artificial flavors and additives in this brand i remember now why I didn't chose this brand.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everyone has to do what they are comfortable with. :) I don't personally mind some of that stuff. I feed what works within my budget, that my cats like, and that they do well on.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think kittens are able to process milk at least to an extent. Later I think the intolerance begins.
I think cows milk is difficult for them but goats better. Companies sell kitten milk that is tolerated by kittens but I think generally for younger kittens who need replacement feeding.