Question about fasting a cat before bloodwork

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowball will be going to the vet in about 1 1/2 weeks. Since it is very likely that they will do a complete blood panel on him at that time, I was told to take his food away at 6 p.m. the night before. I just made this appointment, and I would feel really
calling back just to ask if I should take his water away also. I'm sure someone here can give me an answer.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you'd prefer to hear from one of the forums vet techs, but I'll chime in <G>. I would not pull the water...you don't want your cat to get dehydrated, and dehydration can skew bloodwork results. Think of it this way...when scheduled for surgery, food is pulled, but water allowed right up until early in the morning (i.e. I pull water at 6 am).

hth,

gus's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes usually they want you to take the water away too. Seems dumb since they can get dehyrdated. It is weird that they want you to take the food away at all. My cat goes for weekly CBC and chem panels as he has cancer and we're doing chemo. I have never been told to take him food away. If it was exrays or ultrasound, that would make sense but a blood test?

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is odd. I've had a complete blood panel on both my senior cats and they didn't have me pull their water or their food, especially the water since they can become dehydrated.

I've had One of my cats in for dental cleanings and they said no food after midnight and no water after 6am because of the sedative.

I'd call and ask about the water though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking to the receptionist when I made the appointment. I had a couple of questions, and both times the receptionist talked to the vet before I was given an answer.

I know that people have to fast before they have bloodwork, but according to the information here, cats usually don't have too?????? I thought I was asking a question about standard veterinary procedures, but apparently I wasn't. Or maybe the receptionist didn't communicate very clearly to the vet. Now I'm getting confused.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lorie,

Yes, cats do have to fast before *some* bloodwork...I think the only confusion I've seen here is whether or not fasting includes pulling their water. I say no, some say yes <G>. I'm sorry if we are only making this worse! My cats having surgery, and getting a pre-op panel the day of surgery...they've been fasted since the night before (BUT water was okay up until 6 am). My cat with crf, we do not fast prior to having his blood work done to check kidney values. My senior kitties having a geriatric panel done during an annual exam, have never been fasted. I think it truly depends on what kind of tests are being done.

hth a wee bit,

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Pat & Alex
My cat with crf, we do not fast prior to having his blood work done to check kidney values
Snowball was diagnosed with early kidney disease 2 1/2 years ago, and has his kidney values checked every 6 months, and isn't fasting before that bloodwork either. The kidney values will also be checked at this appointment.

He has also been having problems with constipation off and on recently, and I did mention this to the vet a few months ago. I mentioned this again when I made the appointment and asked about having a blood panel done on him. They said a blood panel would be a good idea so they could see what is going on with him. Is this the reason they want him to be fasting? Also, isn't constipation a common problem for cats with kidney disease?

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about veterinary laboratory procedures.

vettechstudent

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The reason they are not supposed to be fed is because it can cause fat deposits in the blood and it could interfere with some tests.

I don't think I would take the water away until a couple of hours or so before,because you don't want your kitty to become dehydrated as that could cause inaccurate results.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Lorie D.
Also, isn't constipation a common problem for cats with kidney disease?

Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about veterinary laboratory procedures. [/b]
Hi Lorie,

I'm glad to see vettech saw this thread, and agrees re the no pulling the water. Yes, constipation is a problem for crf kitties...you might ask your vet about the use of Lactulose (prescription med here in the states, though not in Canada as I understand it). I believe the avatar site (think it's www.felinecrf.com) talks specifically not only about the various medications your vet may prescribe, and what they do (I'm including the use of otc items such as pepcid ac) but also goes into testing.

best wishew to Snowball from my crf kitty, Patrick

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the helpful responses and the link to the crf site. I'll post an update after the vet has seen Snowball.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm taking Sam in for routine bloodwork this afternoon, and he is fasting now. And lying on the floor beside his empty food dish, alternately staring longingly at the dish, and glaring at me. This is going to be a long day.