Question about declawing

judi k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another kind of scratching post (pad, really) that cats like is made out of cardboard. We saw them at my aunt's house; she has 4 cats and about 3 of these and 3 sisal covered scratching posts in her living room. The cats don't use the furniture when they have all of these available! We bought a cardboard one for Kitty and she loves it! It is the only kind we have been able to get her to use, and is pretty cheap. You can find them in pet stores or even at Walmart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have seen those cardboard ones and didnt get one because I thought i would not last anytime. How long do yours last.

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Elinor:

Those cardboard things are great! I recommend them to everyone. I have 16 cats and they all love it and like Judy said they are cheap. With all of my cats they last months but if you don't have as many cats as I do I sure it will last you a good long time. Keep putting a little catnip on it. Hope it works for you!

Michele

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Michele thanks. I only have the two kittens so i will get some .They sure last a long time. They didnt seem like they would last anytime when i looked at them. They are so reasonable in price to.

judi k

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought Kitty's in March, and it's still got a couple of spots she hasn't touched yet. (she only scratches in one spot, and I turn it about once a month; does she have me trained, or what??
).

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a smaller cardboard scratching "pad" and it lasted a long time (with one cat). It's cool because the cardboard is really thick and it's tougher than your standard cardboard.

dan3:16

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!! I'm telling my fiance when she wakes up that we are not getting our kittens declawed! Those pictures about made me sick. I'm glad I found this stuff out before I took them to the vet. Thanks everyone. You just saved two kitties from being butchered.

Dan

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you had a chance to read this before it was too late. A lot of people think it is routine because the vets don't explain the procedure and what may happen with the behavior once done. With dedication and some know how, you can train them not to shred the house.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Dan3:16
OMG!! I'm telling my fiance when she wakes up that we are not getting our kittens declawed! Those pictures about made me sick. I'm glad I found this stuff out before I took them to the vet. Thanks everyone. You just saved two kitties from being butchered.

Dan
I did the same thing, Dan. We have three or four cats that were declawed and we never gave it a thought until one day when I was in the Vet's office and there on the wall was a poster depicting the procedure. I never felt so nauseated in my life and that was when we stopped declawing our strays. The procedure is the same as if we were to cut off our fingers at the first joint to clip our nails! Never again!

Pete

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just to add a couple of links.

Claws: How to Best Take Care of Them (and Your Furniture...) - an article in this site's grooming section.

Clawing Solutions - The page on this site's shop with all the solutions to cats clawing furniture, including sticky paws and soft paws and equipment for nail clipping. And of course, a whole page of scratching posts. It's all by PetsMart.com and I'm pretty sure they ship to Canada.

kathy70005

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we heard all kinds of horrible things about de clawing when we got our kitty declawed. Don't believe any of it. The only thing that was suggested was that we add newspaper to her litter to make it softer in the beginning. Clarise didn't mind the litter the way it was so we didn't do it. Enjoy and love your kitty. when she comes home give her an extra amount of TLC mostly Love

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never knew what was involved in declawing until several years after I had my cat declawed. I was reluctant to do it, but unfortuneatly decided to do it eventually. I will definitely never have another cat declawed. I didn't notice any personality changes in my cat, she is still as sweet, although she is less social with people she doesn't know. She will use her litterbox, but also pees on the carpet sometimes. I always thought this was because we tried to add another cat to the family--this behavior only started at that point. Now I am not so sure. Isn't there any way we can work to get this outlawed here in the US? Does the ASPCA have any petitions or anything we can start or continue via email or other ways?

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by kathy70005
we heard all kinds of horrible things about de clawing when we got our kitty declawed. Don't believe any of it. The only thing that was suggested was that we add newspaper to her litter to make it softer in the beginning. Clarise didn't mind the litter the way it was so we didn't do it. Enjoy and love your kitty. when she comes home give her an extra amount of TLC mostly Love
DON'T BELIEVE ANY OF IT? Dear Lady, facts are facts; this is not some hypothetical situation we are discussing. While I respect your opinion whether I agree or not is one thing; to tell some one not to believe what they hear which is true is ignorant at best and asinine to take it a step farther. If surgically removing bones in guillotine fashion is your answer to clipping nails, what is your method of bathing; drowning? My apologies to the group for this outburst; ignorance I can tolerate, stupidity I cannot.

Pete

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pete:

No apology necessary. Everything you said is more than true. People have to realize how bad declawing is. Maybe some cats do not have behavioral issues but that does not mean that the cat has not been mutilated! It should be out-lawed but unfortunately too many doctors do it for the money

Michele

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by michelerad
Pete:

No apology necessary. Everything you said is more than true. People have to realize how bad declawing is. Maybe some cats do not have behavioral issues but that does not mean that the cat has not been mutilated! It should be out-lawed but unfortunately too many doctors do it for the money

Michele
Michele,
Thanks. There are countries where it IS illegal; perhaps someday we will catch up with them.

Pete

michelerad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pete:

What we need to do is keep educating people. Most people will not declaw once they know what is really happening. The problem is doctors don't let people know, they make people think it is routine. Maybe someday.......

Michele

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by michelerad
Pete:

What we need to do is keep educating people. Most people will not declaw once they know what is really happening. The problem is doctors don't let people know, they make people think it is routine. Maybe someday.......

Michele
Yeah, routine for the Vet and a nice bill to pay for short work; problem is the cat lives with the results for the rest of it's life. The only way I can explain it to people is to tell them to imagine cutting off your fingers at the first joint behind the nail; it's the same thing. I know cat's can do some serious damage with their nails but there are so many other solutions! The problem is that this solution is a one time effort on the part of the owner and that's it; everything else takes some effort and most are too damn lazy or cheap to extend themselves. I could go off on a rant about those who own pets but don't care for them properly and run half the group off or get bounced myself as I am not kind when it comes to people who get a pet and then won't Vet it because "Vet's are too expensive and it's only a cat/dog!!!" Sorry, getting wound up and I know I'm preaching to the choir.

Pete

nuunuu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
To questions about de-clawing in Ontario.....I personaly would never ever declaw again.....Its been described to me to be the equivalent of cutting off our fingers at the lower last joint!!!!!
Go to Softclaws.com or softpaws.com.
They worked for me when nothing else would...they are plastic sheaths to glue on to Kitty's nail...and they are so cute in pink, purple....

buttercup429

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't believe that anyone after understanding what is involved in declawing would go ahead with it. I personally cannot endure the idea of mutilating ANY animal in ANY way. It should be outlawed as inhumane. I also have to agree with some of the other replies to the person who said to ignore proven facts. There IS a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is not knowing. Stupidity is knowing and disregarding it. I am sorry to be harsh but I am very opinionated when it comes to mistreatment of animals who can't defend themselves from us.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by buttercup429
I can't believe that anyone after understanding what is involved in declawing would go ahead with it. I personally cannot endure the idea of mutilating ANY animal in ANY way. It should be outlawed as inhumane. I also have to agree with some of the other replies to the person who said to ignore proven facts. There IS a difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is not knowing. Stupidity is knowing and disregarding it. I am sorry to be harsh but I am very opinionated when it comes to mistreatment of animals who can't defend themselves from us.
Buttercup,
Take a deep breath and calm down. You need to understand there are those you can educate and they will see the light while there are others who are blind and will NEVER see the light. They are the ones who feel "they are just cats", don't spend anymore than absolutely necessary to keep them alive, euthanize rather than treat and feel they are great pet owners. You can educate the intelligent ones; unfortunately there are a good number of the "others" who own "pets" and are probably responsible for 90% of the abandoned, abused and neglected animals in the shelters. While this is pathetic I feel it to be true and while we may have the best intentions we can't possibly save them all. Knowing that makes it a little easier to sleep at night (until we see the next cat/dog alongside the road).

Pete