Question About Contracts

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we picked up our Bengal kitten Odin in December we picked him up approximately 5 hours from home. The day before, the person messaged me and said something came up and they would no longer be home at the time we agreed but they knew we were coming from out of town and wanted him home for our kiddos for Christmas so she arranged for her friend to come meet us (which was fine with me). When we were talking about me purchasing him, she never mentioned a contract but I didn't have a problem signing it as it was fairly basic. I will show his neuter proof by 6 months of age and he will not be used for breeding. Those were the only two things on the contract so I didn't really mind as we didn't want to use him for breeding and already had an appointment for him to be neutered in the near future. Now I just went to message her (almost 3 weeks later) to tell her how well he's doing and let her know how the vet appointment went. My Kijiji account (where I found the ad) AND my phone number are blocked. This is honestly the weirdest thing I've had happen to me. My question basically is, is our contract still valid even though I can't contact her? I'm supposed to show proof of neuter by 6 months of age and now I have absolutely no way to do that. Very confused and a tad upset to be honest - seems very sketchy to me

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What was supposed to happen after you showed proof of the neuter? Do you get a pattial refund of the purchase price? Receive his registration papers? Some other consideration?

I would get a copy of the vet bill/report and send it to her by registered mail with signature required. That way you'll have proof if she comes back later and tries to say you broke the contract.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have the breeder’s email address? If not, you should be able to find it on their website. Otherwise, I think Goldycat’s idea of mailing it in is good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What was supposed to happen after you showed proof of the neuter? Do you get a pattial refund of the purchase price? Receive his registration papers? Some other consideration?

I would get a copy of the vet bill/report and send it to her by registered mail with signature required. That way you'll have proof if she comes back later and tries to say you broke the contract.
Thank you! I never even thought of mailing it in. It just confused me as to why she blocked mme. Unfortunately Odin isn't registered and the seller doesn't have a website (it was just a classified ad on Kijiji - like Craigslist for those who don't know what it is). She's just a lady who breeds once a year for the love of the breed. But as for what happens after he is neutered, absolutely nothing. It was just something she put in the contract. I just get a really bad feeling from her blocking me. Doesn't make sense.

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have the breeder’s email address? If not, you should be able to find it on their website. Otherwise, I think Goldycat’s idea of mailing it in is good.
Unfortunately I only have her ad email and that's different to her regular email address. She has blocked me through her ad email (that's where we did 99% of our communicating). I am just so confused as to if I did something wrong or if she's just not a good person

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds really weird to me as can't see what reason they would have to block you, esp if they are still waiting for something they asked you for at time of purchase. I assume you have everything you were expecting from them in terms of papers for pedigree etc?
I agree: mailing your information sounds sensible as that keeps up your end of any contract you signed, and then if anyone was in breech it would be them should any problem arise.

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds really weird to me as can't see what reason they would have to block you, esp if they are still waiting for something they asked you for at time of purchase. I assume you have everything you were expecting from them in terms of papers for pedigree etc?
I agree: mailing your information sounds sensible as that keeps up your end of any contract you signed, and then if anyone was in breech it would be them should any problem arise.
He isn't registered so I didn't have any paperwork to get with him besides vet paperwork for first vaccines, etc. It's just so weird to me. I still have her address from when we picked Odin up so I will definitely mail it. Thank you everyone! Just felt as if I did something wrong (even though I haven't talked to her since the day after we brought him home). So strange to me.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess they had legal trouble from another buyer, and have "skipped town", so to speak (they might not moved but just cut off all electronic communications).

Welp, if they aren't available to send the proof of neuter to, then that's that. Just mail them copy and call it good, even if it gets returned. You did your part, that's all you can do.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nothing helpful to add, but I just wanted to say that I agree that this breeder sounds incredible sketchy, and that it doesn't seem like you've done anything wrong at all.

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would guess they had legal trouble from another buyer, and have "skipped town", so to speak (they might not moved but just cut off all electronic communications).

Welp, if they aren't available to send the proof of neuter to, then that's that. Just mail them copy and call it good, even if it gets returned. You did your part, that's all you can do.
It's weird though as they didn't completely delete their account, they only blocked me. I went onto my husband's account and searched the user and found her no problem so she only chose to block me (not sure if she blocked the other buyers of the kittens as well though). It's just so frustrating. Thank goodness he's healthy but God forbid something was wrong with him I'd want her to know for future litters etc. Definitely going to mail the copy of the proof of neuter to her. Thank you everyone!!

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nothing helpful to add, but I just wanted to say that I agree that this breeder sounds incredible sketchy, and that it doesn't seem like you've done anything wrong at all.
I had a bad feeling at first but we couldn't find another Bengal kitten in our price range that we liked/would fit in with our family so well. She would avoid simple questions and not answer me for days at a time. I understand people are busy though so never really thought anything about it. Was hard to get pictures out of her as well. When I asked questions about Odin, I felt like I was being such a bother just by the way she would respond. My biggest concern was since we weren't able to meet him first (we only saw pictures and did video calling) that she was going to back out on us or give us the wrong address etc. He was from 5 hours away so unfortunately it just wasn't an option to go and meet him first. Thankfully we picked him up, brought him home and he's doing absolutely amazing. Just confused as I can't see a good breeder not wanting updates about a kitten they sold.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s not a good breeder. End of story.

I saw your other thread when you first got him and the first indication was that he was sold at 8 weeks. Second thing is he not registered (but I believe you said his parents were- I would guess if the parents were, they were probably pets sold on non breeding). Any breeder that loves or is trying to improve the breed registers their kittens, anything else is BYB with zero interest except to make money. She probably gave you a contract to make herself look/seem legit. A purebred kitten sold without registration has no need for a contract.

I’m confused as to why she would block you as well. I think you should just count your lucky stars little Odin is healthy. I’m assuming you’ve already taken him to the vet to check his heart? Heart issues are unfortunately very common with bengals and if this lady didn’t bother to register her kittens, I’m also going to assume she didn’t bother to health test the parents.

I’m super happy little Odin has found a home with you guys and is doing so well. Use this as a learning experience to educate people about BYB and encourage them to give their money to dedicated breeders that truly care about the breed, and work hard to eliminate undesirable personality trails and heath issues.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your letter is returned save it unopened. Softy deposit box.That way you have proof that you did your part if she comes back. Is the pick up address on the website? If so copy that. If it's in the white pages on google screen shot with date copy that. If it's in the phone book copy that page. The phone company can make the date if you need it.

I'm not saying you'll need any of this, but now is the time to copy and save, not later.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure how it works in USA, but in Europe the so called pseudo-breeders are semi legal, in some countries illegal. It is strongly discouraged to purchase cats from not registered breeders and very, very often they have health issues like parasites etc and are being sold too early for normal development. Have you actually seen in what conditions she breeds kittens? Maybe someone from this litter has found something is wrong with a kitten and she is now afraid of the communication with other buyers.
Pseudo breeders are horrible money oriented people, and it is also horrible that people fall into their traps so easily and support them.