Question about CHOP therapy for large cell lymphoma

cosima53

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My cat Little Bit has large cell intestinal lymphoma. He's on a CHOP protocol that involves weekly treatments of vincristine, a drug I can't remember the name of, vincristine again, then doxorubicin, then a week off, and prednisolone throughout. He responded really well to the first three weeks: his mass shrunk, he had more energy and appetite, and we were really hopeful. Then two weeks ago he had the doxorubicin, and when we brought him in for his check up the next week he seemed fine and the mass had not changed size, but between then and now it started growing again and is back to its original size, along with a new mass and nodes on other organs. :( When my vet explained this to me, I was in a state of shock, and didn't think about the right questions to ask. She had Little Bit do another round of vincristine to see if the cancer would respond again to that, and suggested we could try another treatment protocol if it did not. I guess I was wondering, does anyone have any experience with a cat responding to several chemo drugs in a protocol but then becoming unresponsive to treatment when a new drug was used? I'm wondering if it's possible that another drug might work, or if this means that any partial remission he might have achieved is over.

I was also wondering if anyone had any thoughts about the efficiacy of predisolone. He seemed to be feeling much better on daily prednisolone, but my vet brought him down to every other day a couple weeks ago. She said we could bump him back up to daily if his appetite didn't improve in the next few days, but that it might make it harder if we see improvement to tell whether the vincristine had worked or if it was due to the prednisolone. I'm of the mind that if it might help, it's worth trying, but I'm obviously feeling pretty emotional right now and might not be fully thinking through this.

Any perspective would be appreciated!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, Darlin, I am so sorry that you and your cat are going through this.

I do NOT have experience with CHOP therapy, and have no suggestions about what could have caused him to regress when another medication was added. I wish I did. And I can only try to imagine how devastated you were/are when you learned that this cancer has spread. What a filthy disease it is, right up there in my book with FIP.

My thoughts on the prednisone...given the spread of the cancer, if he were my cat, I believe that I would choose to improve his quality of remaining time over everything else. IF the new meds work you will know, eventually. But in the meantime, he is having as many good days in his life as possible.

My heart with yours, and a candle lit for Little Bit (that is the name of the feral queen I feed, and seeing it really hit me)

00LitCandle.jpeg

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey -- My little one (Bear) has been diagnosed with large cell intestinal lymphoma too. We started chemo on Tuesday.

My vet (who specializes in internal medicine) said that after a month or so Bear would stop reacting to the prednisolone. But of course, it needs to be tapered off.