Question about cat poop color- what does it mean if stool is yellowish on the inside and brown outside?

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know the yellow isn't good and a sign of inflammation (chalk it up to the junky dry food i've recently been feeding her) but I've never seen one color coated with a normal brown on the outside. It's also kind of twisted/marbled a bit. Stool is pretty squishy but not liquid, it holds shape.

Is it explained by me changing her food yesterday? Never seen her poop like this before. She seems okay but the other day was a bit lethargic for a few days.

I'm just kind of interested in the mechanics, I mean (sorry gross I know) what does it mean that the outer layer is a different color, is that older food material or ..what? How does that work?

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Normal color of cat's poop is brown. If dark or black, that would probably mean there is presence of blood. If there are others "mixed" in the poop, better to check with the vet especially you mentioned that she was a bit lethargic for a couple of days. Cats hide their ailments very well. So a trip to the vet is highly recommended when you notice or suspect something different.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes- I know all that. I'm kind of wondering about what it means though? What do layers of colors of poop indicate? There is no tarry stool.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Was the poop exposed to the air for a couple hours or more? I've seen where it can change color on the outside due to that...

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on what you're feeding. You can try putting on gloves and breaking the poop apart. Sometimes it might be lighter in color if it's made up of mostly cat hair. Cats who eat raw diets with bone also often have lighter colored and dry poop.

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Was the poop exposed to the air for a couple hours or more? I've seen where it can change color on the outside due to that...
no, i got to it and threw it in the toilet before she "covered it up" !!

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It depends on what you're feeding. You can try putting on gloves and breaking the poop apart. Sometimes it might be lighter in color if it's made up of mostly cat hair. Cats who eat raw diets with bone also often have lighter colored and dry poop.
nope, i looked inside, it was yellow inside and brown outside, with a twist/marbling like i said

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
welll... i mean i threw it out? It's a smiple thing, yellow poop and normal brown on the outside.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Tbh, I think coloring - unless black (maybe blood) or yellow/green (all sorts of possibilities), the consistency is more important. The coloring often is different depending on the foods. With a food change, it is very possible to affect the stool coloring - and in some cases, consistency. If you did an abrupt food change, that could explain both coloring and slightly looser than normal stools. Either mix old food with new - more old/less new to begin with - and then gradually move to the new over time, and see if that makes any difference. If you can't go back to the old food, wait and watch for the next few days to see if the consistency firms back up - although, the coloring may not change because of the new food.

torbiesarebest

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Tbh, I think coloring - unless black (maybe blood) or yellow/green (all sorts of possibilities), the consistency is more important. The coloring often is different depending on the foods. With a food change, it is very possible to affect the stool coloring - and in some cases, consistency. If you did an abrupt food change, that could explain both coloring and slightly looser than normal stools. Either mix old food with new - more old/less new to begin with - and then gradually move to the new over time, and see if that makes any difference. If you can't go back to the old food, wait and watch for the next few days to see if the consistency firms back up - although, the coloring may not change because of the new food.
okay - thanks! that's very helpful!

Brom’s Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is interesting and I’d like to know! One of my cats has poop like this and I have no clue why. Ill have to take the poop to the vet.