Question about cat poop color and food

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is on Meow Mix right now (budget food while I'm moving :/) and most of the kibbles are yellow or reddish. Her poop is it's normal consistency and brown on the outside, but the inside is yellowish. I'm assuming it's due to the pigments in the food as I've experienced this personally (too much Cap'n Crunch can give you neon green haha) but I wanted to double check. She's three months, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update to add that it is now loose and has a VERY strong odor. Again, since I'm moving I was thinking it could be related to that or the fact that she seems to enjoy the popcorn I got? This is my first kitty so apologies if I'm a paranoid parent!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you changed her food from something else to Meow Mix, due to your budget, that can have an effect on both poop consistency and smell - especially if it was an abrupt change. Even so, it can still take a while to have an effect. The popcorn, depending on how much she eats of it, probably isn't doing her any favors (particularly if she is eating the corn hauls), but isn't likely having an impact on the smell.

If you can possibly afford it, switch back to what she was eating before, and lay off the popcorn.

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Already cut off her access. lol I maybe should have mentioned my stomach is sick as well. idk if cats can get sick from humans tho

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on the kitty. She went back to normal for about a day (we're in the new apartment) she has a ridiculous amount of energy still, but has also been sleepy and her poop is yellow and loose again. But she doesn't act sick. (Sorry if I'm being a helicopter mom haha)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow Mix dry doesn't have very good ingredients so I'm not surprised that the poop smells bad or doesn't have a firm texture or a strange color. I'd transition the cat off that as soon as you are able to afford better quality food.

Stress can cause some cats to have an upset tummy and loose poop, too. I'd give the cat time to settle in and keep a close eye on the litter box.

CookieNDA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitty returns to normal poop when I give her mostly wet food so I've transitioned her to just a little dry and mostly wet! :) Thank you all!