Question About Cat Howling

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello Friends,

I have a question about cat howling. I know that a cat howls when she is in heat. But can a cat howls outside of her heat cycle? What are the causes of a cat's howling?

A feral cat visits my house. She brought a kitten to my house and then took it away after a few days. She started howling 14 days ago. At first I thought that she was in heat. But she is still howling after 14 days. Can a heat cycle last this long?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She could be going in and out, they can be in heat until they are mated. They can also mate within days of giving birth, I have had litters just 70 something days apart. Could she have lost her kitten? They howl for them too, for at least a week or two. Or she could be calling kittens to her. There are so many things it could be though. I had a cat that got brain inflammation from an infection and howled continuously too, she could be injured, she could be hungry. There are just so many scenarios, I would go see if you could observe her and try to figure it out. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed her daily. My house wall is connected to our neighbor's wall. I have seen her go to their house. there are stairs outside my house which go to the roof. When she moved her kitten, she started calling it. The kitten went with her to the roof. She usually howls on the stairs facing the roof. She doesn't groom herself anymore. She used to groom after every meal. Now she goes to the roof the moment she finishes her meal.

i thought cats trill when they call their kittens. That cat is howling like she is in heat. But she is acting like this since she moved her kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you seen the kitten? My cat actually howled a really weird sound when she called her kittens, nothing like anything I had heard. The kitten may be in trouble. She probably isn't looking good because she is nursing, it takes a lot out of them.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have seen the kitten. She kept it in may house for 5 day. Then she moved it. It was a probably a month old.

The cat has lost weight.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She also hiss at me even though her kitten is not in the house.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hissing is normal fro a mother cat, she is very nervous and scared about her baby being alone, or that you could be a threat to the baby. She depends on you, she is very hungry. Is it possible to get her kitten chow or food? That is a lot higher in calories and nutrition, it would help to build her up. If not please feed her more. You will be blessed for caring for her, all the luck!

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have bought kitten food but I don't know its location. I am feeding the mama cat. i used to pet the kitten and play with it near the mama cat. Could it be a reason why she took it away?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't believe so. Mama cats learn to trust who takes care of them. It's more likely the baby is getting to the stage of being afraid.Now is the time to tame him. if you can. The kitten food is for mama, she needs the extra calories. Mama should be spayed soon, she could already be pregnant. Believe me, one cat can turn into 50 very shortly. She has been lucky so far giving birth on her own, I have lost several ferals giving birth in the fields.Do what you can.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I keep feeding mama cat, will she bring her kitten to the my house? I have read that a mother cat brings her kittens to the food source.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she trusts you and will bring the kittens in to eat. She cannot keep up with their demands as they get older, and will bring them to a known food source. Just keep an eye out, you will see them, although they will be scared and shy at first.

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have seen a video of a cat calling her kittens. She is making the same noises. I think the kitten is in the neighbor's house. The houses are surrounded by walls here. She sits in my veranda and starts calling her kitten and keeps her eyes at the stairs as if the little kitten can cross the roof and come on its own. She is doing this for days now. The kitten must be around 6 weeks old by now. If she wants the kitten in my house, why is she not bringing it here?

How high can a 6 to 7 weeks old kitten jump?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have another question.

Can a cat carry a 2 or 3 month old kitten with her mouth and jump on a wall?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-01 at 9.57.14 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-01 at 9.57.15 PM (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2018-04-01 at 9.57.15 PM.jpeg

These pic were taken 3 weeks ago before the mama cat took it away. How old does it look?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten that size could climb a wall if they could get their claws in, if not, I doubt very much they could climb it unless there was something nearby they could jump from. I don't think a mama could jump very far with a baby that big. Have you seen the little one?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can hear its meow. The cat sits on the roof looking down calling her baby 24/7. She keeps calling it all day and night and it meows back at her. I don't understand what is going on here.The wall between our houses is 10, 12 feet high. But the walls around the houses are not that high. if she want to bring the baby to the food source then she can easily do this by taking the kitten out of the house and then bringing it to our house through our front wall which is 5 feet high.

This is going on for 3 weeks now. Its really hard to see the cat in such distress. She started acting like this after she moved the kitten.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She wants the kitten out of there badly. she's not going to give up until it's old enough to get over. She can't figure out the easiest way. Is there any way to get the kitten? But what will you do with them then? Can you find them a home?

Neo815

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to get that kitten treated by a doctor and keep it as my outside cat. I am from Pakistan and people don't take feral cats as pets here. Persian and Samese as pets. This cat usually brings only one kitten at my house every year. I don't know what happens to her other babies. I have been trying to get her spayed but she is very feral. Now she allows me to sit near her while she eats but she won't let me touch her. A few days ago I started feeding her from a spoon. She adopted really quickly but after 3 days she returned to her former self. Now she hisses at me whenever a show her a spoon.

Do feral cats leave their whole litter at one place or do they leave each kitten at a different location? I am hoping that she won't bring her other kittens to my house. I don't want to keep so many cats.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If that kitten accidently got trapped behind that wall, they could be separate. But most keep their babies together. Either her other babies are being killed by person or predator or they are dying of starvation because mama cannot feed them all. She most likely started hissing again because something happened to raise her anxiety. She'll accept you in time. Please try to trap her and have her spayed, she would be a much calmer, nicer cat and you won't have to go through this again. Bless you for helping her.