Question about Cat Beds

i am furniture

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I am thinking about buying a bed/mat for my cat Lightning. There are lots of different types out there I have noticed.

One possibility I have thought was putting it in the petmate kennel cab that I bought. He sleeps in there some times. I am wondering if anyone else's has gone this route.

Or should I go a different way, any info is greatly accepted.

Glenn

nano

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When I picked out a cat bed for Nano, I observed the way she normally preferred to sleep and then let that guide my purchase.

For instance, right now she is asleep in the middle of the living room floor. On her side, stretched out, laying sideways, arms and legs half-sticking out. So I actually went with a cushioned "mat" for a bed. That best matched what makes her comfortable.

But if she curled up to sleep, or preferred semi-privacy, or preferred sleeping in an enclosed space, or preferred sleeping on her stomach with legs folded, I would have bought a different style of bed.

Once I knew her preferred "style", then I just picked between the three or four different brands of mats and went with one the type of surface/texture that she tends to like.

Anyway, good luck!

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked around quite a bit and got a nice big cup style bed. It's fuzzy, and the bottom liner is reversable AND removable for occasional washings. I think cat beds are really up to you. One idea that my roomate used for her cat was buying a basket from an arts supply store and then putting a small bag of clay litter (to weigh it down and make the bottom higher) inside the bottom and a pillow ontop. It looked really classy and the pillow could be washed/replaced whenever. It was also cheap. I've seen the baskets at Michaels for like $5.
Hope you find that purrrfect bed

Jess

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nano

When I picked out a cat bed for Nano, I observed the way she normally preferred to sleep and then let that guide my purchase.
Once I knew her preferred "style", then I just picked between the three or four different brands of mats and went with one the type of surface/texture that she tends to like.
Absolutely! I make cat beds for friends and always ask them a lot of questions before I customize them for them. I've made beds for cats that sleep on nothing but red cloth, nothing but fleece or cotton or wool, nothing but flat beds (no sides), nothing but beds with sides, hidey holes for cats that like to tunnel into blankets, etc. I've had folks measure the sunny spots in their house, under furniture, behind furniture, tops of cat trees, etc.

My cats sleep all over the house and I do tailor their beds to where they sleep, what they like to sleep on, and what level of support they like.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats sleep everywhere too. I never was going to buy a cat bed, but then my mom had bought one (at Good Will) and Charlotte used it!! She uses it daily. My kitten, Izzie, also sleeps in a bed too.

Charlotte loves to sleep in her pet carrier. It has a top entrance and I leave that open so she can climb inside it. I've also placed a soft blanket in there for her.

Charlotte sleeping in her wicker bed.

izzie and Charlotte in seperate beds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

i am furniture

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I am not going to get a bed for Lightning yet. I am finishing off his Cat Tree today, so i'll see if he actually naps on that.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both our cats really like the Queen Size beds and/or whichever LaZBoy chair you happen to want to sit on yourself.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Both our cats really like the Queen Size beds and/or whichever LaZBoy chair you happen to want to sit on yourself.
i have some quilts & 3 beds. 2 of the beds are machine washable, all of the quilts are, & the 3rd bed is actually being used as a toy storage area. Pixel likes sleeping somewhere other than the beds (like on top of my clean clothes, or on top of the box), especially since Mouse died (they used to sleep in the big bed together
). Cable & Java llike the beds, tho. i got the 2 machine-washable beds & all the little 'cat quilts' from catinthebed - you can custom order, or order sale quilts for slightly less. she always includes a catnip toy with the order! if you look at my sig, you can see the cat beds (Mouse is in one, Pixel in the other).