Question about care for feral females after spay surgery

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took 1 mama cat and 2 of her kittens to be spayed this morning to a low cost clinic. I will be picking them up in a couple of hours. I plan on keeping them overnite in a spare bedroom which is where they were last night. Can I keep all 3 of them together in the same room?

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are able to be sure that they won't try to groom each other or get into a tussle, you may be able to do it. It's absolutely best to allow them to recover separately, either in separate rooms, or in separate kennel cages or large carrier that can hold litter box, food and water (in a spill proof bowl or lick bottle if they will use one). I know that's not always possible, but "in a perfect world" it's the best option. Do you have a way to allow at least the mom cat to be separate from the kittens, in case they try to security-suckle on her? You don't mention the ages of the kittens, but sometimes even "fully weaned" kittens will try to suckle on Mom for comfort in a stressful situation... more like a security blanket than a milk bar (make sense?). If you think that there may be a chance that they would rough-house or try to suckle or groom each other's surgery sites... then separate them if possible.

BTW, your user name is my adoptive mother's maiden name

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens are 4 months old. I can put the mama cat in the spare bathroom. Then the 2 kittens would be in the bedroom together. Do you think this will be okay for the night?
P.S. My user name is the town I live in.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good, having mama separate is good. How are the kittens together... are they wrestlers, or are they pretty calm? And how are they doing after surgery? When I helped at a spay-neuter clinic, we would sometimes use medications that tended to keep the more active and stressed out feral cats rather calm for the evening and overnight, until they were through the first night and could be released back to their colonies the next day or two. If they're still pretty relaxed from the meds, or generally not too frisky anyhow, they might be able to stay together. But it still would not be a bad idea to keep a large carrier or wire kennel cage with a litter box and food/water on standby just in case you do have to split them up.

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well the kitties are home. Gave them some food and they ate like little piggies. Mama is still a little wobbly. I'm going to put her in the bathroom for the nite with food, water and littler box. I think it will be safer for her. Turns out the real fluffy kitty that I thought was female is really a male. And they informed me that he escaped his live trap. Smart kitty. Anyway he is fixed so he won't be roaming. He's pretty active already. The other one is a little female and she's a pretty quiet cat. I think once I turn out the lites, they will settle down for the nite.
I do not have a large carrier or kennel and too late to find one so I will just have to wing it.

mackiemac

Slave in a cat house
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad everything worked out well and the group is recovering nicely. You did a wonderful thing for that little family! Sounds like you're doing well by them. Thank you for caring! 💞

gleason

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just one more update.......
Everyone made it thru the nite with no problems. All alert and eating well. I put them out with the other cats this morning.