Question about an ethical breeder

Lynnslynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently I purchased an oriental shorthair kitten from a breeder in Minnesota. The contract specified that I would receive her medical records and health certificate upon final payment and receipt of kitten. I have contacted the breeder four times now and she is ignoring my requests. She is a CFA registered breeder so I think she is legitimate. What recourse do I have to resolve this situation? (I live in Virginia).

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
You say "recently". How long has it been? Did you have good communication with the breeder before the purchase? It could be that she is just super busy right now, although I wonder why the documents weren't sent with the kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lynnslynx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You say "recently". How long has it been? Did you have good communication with the breeder before the purchase? It could be that she is just super busy right now, although I wonder why the documents weren't sent with the kitten.
It’s been quite recently. According to the contract I should take the kitten to the vet within 72 hours of receipt. How to do this without proper medical records and date of birth, etc. What could be easier than to at least email me the records.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is a CFA registered breeder, you might take it up with the CFA.
Cfa is a registry of cats. I don’t think legally they could do anything. Just because a cattery is registered with the cfa ( or TICA) it does NOT mean that the owner is a good, honest breeder. Yes, there is a code of ethics you are supposed to follow, but they don’t have the legal means, money or manpower to police it. If it hadn’t been long just remember the breeder may have been busy. Did you ask for the papers when you picked the kitten up?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't let lack of documents from the breeder stop you taking your kitten to the vet to get them checked and registered.

Plenty of kittens and cats are registered at vets where no-one even knows their date of birth or previous history, proof of that is not needed to register with a vet!

Once you have had the kitten checked, chase the breeder up for vaccination records, or ask them to have their vet send them to your vet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You shouldn't let lack of documents from the breeder stop you taking your kitten to the vet to get them checked and registered.

Plenty of kittens and cats are registered at vets where no-one even knows their date of birth or previous history, proof of that is not needed to register with a vet!

Once you have had the kitten checked, chase the breeder up for vaccination records, or ask them to have their vet send them to your vet.
This

Our breeder gave us the kitten's medical card which showed all vaccinations, deworming etc.

However, I noticed the birth date did not match up to the other paperwork I was given. Got in touch w/the breeder about this discrepancy and it took at least a week for her to get back to me. Seems it was a typo on her part, and the date on the medical records was correct.

Seems unusual not to provide this information at pick up, but certainly is no reason to have the kitten properly vetted in the interim.