Quesion of the day Monday 23rd June

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
My apologies if this is a bit late today. I agreed to cover this Monday's question of the day as not at work but then I managed to doze through most of it.  

I am going through a bit of delayed spring cleaning phase at the moment and pulling stuff out of storage with the intention of thinning things out significantly.  It is mostly fabric, clothes, bedding and such like as I have already been pretty ruthless with things like books. The things I decide not to keep will go to charity, and for their fabric recycling if it isn't good enough for them to sell or use in other ways. 

When did you last have a major sort out of your possessions and what did you do with the stuff you didn't keep?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
My major sort will be happening once I am ready to move in a month or so (once these people move with my co-op!)

Anything that's worth it, I will be hosting a garage sale at my parents- but I have a feeling I'd be trashing the stuff I don't want. There really isn't much in my apartment, so it will be a simple process.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I moved two years ago from a smallist one bedroom condo to a medium size two bedroom townhouse (single level): I actually have more room now.
But I am somewhat minimalistic so didn't have a lot to sort through. That said, I either gave the stuff away or took it to the local Goodwill/charity. I donated towels to the cat sanctuary where I volunteer.
A new color scheme in my kitchen and bathrooms necessitated me having to buy new towels, some of which I bought at the same local Goodwill. Recycle!
Also I recently bought a full size bed; my twin size bed and mattress was 25 years old. And I thought to myself: maybe if my bed is bigger Ritz will sleep with me or even next to me in the hot weather. I gave the too small sheets to my brother. I'm still waiting on Ritz....

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been throwing out a lot of stuff.  We have a drop-off box for Goodwill so I've dropped stuff off there too. Got even more to go through, slowly but surely!

I'd like to sell my tack (horse stuff) but I want to do it through a consignment shop instead of something like eBay.  I've thought about turning my office (second bedroom) into a workout room, but that's a long way away.

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
l constantly recycle within the house. As my living room furniture gets changed, the old furniture replaces the furniture in the family room, or other rooms. The old old stuff gets put in the garage and offered free. Anything that doesn't go goes to the dump.

dragonheart

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much any time I change something in the house is an excuse to sort and clean. The (nearly done!) bathroom reno I've got going now means I've cleaned quite a lot of that out. New color scheme, new floor, new fixtures, etc so pretty much everything had to go. Anything I didn't throw out I gave to my mom/stepfather for use elsewhere in the house, including some of the old fixtures and cabinetry. I am replacing the towels and such as well so the old ones will be relegated to rag status, basically. I'll probably keep one in the car, maybe replace the one I use in the carrier and the rest will be used for whatever.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am always trying to keep things at a minimum and when I have something I do not want I give it to sister who then will pass it along to a friend or donate it if no one wants it. Our old clothes that are to beat go to the cats for bedding:)  We are in great need of a new set of towels but I never replace stuff for color reasons just when they are not functional anymore.  Some of our bedding is in need of replacement too:( 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sorted through stuff as recently as yesterday. A few weeks ago, I went through all the baby stuff and we had a yard sale to get rid of baby girl stuff. This weekend, we went through the storage closet upstairs and organized and packed since we are moving in July. I brought a lot of stuff to goodwill, but some of it I try to sell on our local buy and sell page.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it was last year, but it is time to do it again!  I went through my dressers & closet. I filled a trash bag full of stuff & dropped it off at Goodwill. 

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved out of my parents' place last September, I started sorting and packing last January. I left a bunch of stuff at their place, and donated a bunch of stuff. Each time I go back, my parents will usually have found some stuff and asked if I want it, and then I'll either bring it up to my apartment with me or load up another garbage bag full of donations.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The last time we had a huge sorting out, was when we moved into the house in 1986. We do go through stuff in the basement on an (ir)regular basis and take it to the landfill or save it for a yard sale, something like that. When my parents down-sized, they decided to get rid of a ton of their stuff, so my sister and I had a yard sale for them and we included a lot of our unwanted things as well. When mom passed away, we cleaned out her apartment and had another sale....and put our things out, too.

When our son moved out, he packed up a bunch of stuff and put it in what had been his bedroom closet or in our basement. When he got married and they bought their own house, we kept telling him to get home and pick his stuff up. "Yeah, yeah, I'll do it when I can," was usually the response. So after they got situated in the house, we packed his stuff up in Rick's truck and took it down to him (it took two loads in the truck!!!). He was not amused, but he was a pack-rat (rather like his father) and it was really taking up space at our place. It was either take it to his house or take it to the landfill.....and I wouldn't trash anything like that without DS going through it first.

Since then, I periodically go through stuff, usually when Rick is in Portland. It's easier that way because he is such a pack-rat and he won't get rid of anything.

One thing I really want to do this summer is go through our Christmas stuff. We have so much stuff it's truly unreal and some of it needs to go. I'd like to take it all out of the totes and put the stuff on shelves in the basement for us to go through. What we want to keep can be re-packaged and put back into the totes. Our son can go through it and take what he wants. The rest will either be yard-saled or eBayed and then any leftovers will be junked.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm starting that process now as I prepare to move. I started with my books on Sunday. The nice one's I'm dating to a little local used book store. The ones I highlighted and wrote in for school I put on our community bookshelf for whomever wants them. Old clothes will go to consignment if nice, the community sharing basket if a bit worn. Other stuff will either be sold in a moving out sale, given to neighbors or dropped at the giving baskets.

The last time I did such a cleansing was my 2012 move around this time.