Queen keeps laying on kittens??

Springwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yesterday my cat gave birth to three healthy kittens, as soon as she started to nurse them I noticed she keeps laying on them by accident (hopefully).

I think she means to lay next to them so they can nurse but misjudges where the kittens are, everytime she does this, however, she seems to ignore the distressed meows they're making and I have to move her aside.

I'm afraid to leave the kittens unsupervised overnight, because I won't be awake to move my cat if she lays on them again.

The nest she chose is the biggest one we prepared for her and she has more than enough space to stretch out too.

Is there a way to prevent her from laying on them by accident? Or at least a way to ease my mind so I can sleep at night.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is a frequent occurrence for the first few days while mom and kittens adjust to one another. You say she’s in a nest large enough to stretch out so there is nothing more you can do but keep checking on them for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Springwhisker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another thread bc im paranoid:))

The kittens are a week old now, my cat has been doing great, she nurses them, cleans them and always keeps an eye on them but I noticed that whenever she's cleaning them and they squirm a bit she starts biting them, yes I know this is supposed to be a form of discipline but she always goes for the underside of their necks..

Earlier today she was cleaning one of them and she started biting it and it started crying so I looked to check what was happening and she wouldn't let go, her back legs were doing a little kicking motion but thankfully she wasn't making contact. I got scared and seperating them with my hand and then she started swerving out of the way so she could bite the kitten again and I had to block her many times. She then became all concerned about the kitten when I moved it a little further away.

I have no idea why she did this, it happened with the other kittens too, I don't want her to hurt them..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is unaware they are not big enough for this behavior yet. It tells me she is a young and inexperienced mother. The kittens cry because it frightens them and/or hurts. Definitely keep an eye on things, and stop her as you have already done today. When she begins doing this when they are bigger, you still may need to break it up once in awhile. It is how mothers discipline, but it should not be happening at a week old.

Adrieemarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another thread bc im paranoid:))

The kittens are a week old now, my cat has been doing great, she nurses them, cleans them and always keeps an eye on them but I noticed that whenever she's cleaning them and they squirm a bit she starts biting them, yes I know this is supposed to be a form of discipline but she always goes for the underside of their necks..

Earlier today she was cleaning one of them and she started biting it and it started crying so I looked to check what was happening and she wouldn't let go, her back legs were doing a little kicking motion but thankfully she wasn't making contact. I got scared and seperating them with my hand and then she started swerving out of the way so she could bite the kitten again and I had to block her many times. She then became all concerned about the kitten when I moved it a little further away.

I have no idea why she did this, it happened with the other kittens too, I don't want her to hurt them..
My young mama cat does the biting thing to. But she brings them closer to her to clean and feed them.
as I weighed them she was fine with me doing it but the little black runt cried and mama tried to bite its neck to move him back to the nest. I show her it was okay and picked it up to put her in front of my mama cat. And everything was fine. My daughter (13 years old) tries to pet some of the kittens or even Emmy, I notice my Emmy tries to bite at the kittens so I keep my daughter away. Mama cat might not like that your messing with kittens.