Queen has one kitten separated from the rest + other issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, another update here. It’s been a long week.
Mama had been taking antibiotics, the fever was down, she was nursing fine, then on Friday we noticed that she kept licking the same spot on her side. We turned her over and apparently the mammary gland or the point of infection where the milk had backed up actually burst and there was a large hole in her side, so back to the vet she went.
We decided to have her stay over at the vet for the weekend to figure out an action plan. We knew that once she was back at home, we were told that she would not be able to nurse because the if the kittens kept licking on that area, it wouldn’t heal. We’d also have to do pain meds, iodine wipes, and cabbage compresses, in addition to the antibiotics.
We felt quite overwhelmed by all this, so a friend offered to take the kittens for a week and nurse them separately so as to lessen the complication factor. We took them over on Friday, and they’re doing well, gaining wait, eating plenty, being playful with each other and our friends.
Mama Ginger is back home, she’s healed already a great deal, but we do have to monitor to make sure she’s not licking, and put a cone on at night. However, she’s quite insistent searching every nook and cranny of the house in search of her babies and crying, but of course they’re not here. I feel so bad for her, even though I know it will pass. Does anyone know what we could do to help her calm down, and how long she may be in this state?
When the kittens return, they’ll be four weeks old, so we plan to continue bottle feeding and start to ween. Ginger’s milk will have dried up by then, but will we need to look out for any possible aggression from her towards the babies?
As I said, I feel awful, and I keep wondering if we did the right thing, and we never would have separated them except for the very serious mastitis. Thanks in advance for any support/advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she’s healed when the kittens return, they may want to try to nurse her, though her milk may be dried up, as you said. She can still groom them and teach them cat manners though, so unless she rejects them, it will be good for them to be with their mother. Even if there is a bit of growling, it probably would not last longer than a day or so. You’ll just have to play it by ear. When will the kittens return, and how long will they have been apart?

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If she’s healed when the kittens return, they may want to try to nurse her, though her milk may be dried up, as you said. She can still groom them and teach them cat manners though, so unless she rejects them, it will be good for them to be with their mother. Even if there is a bit of growling, it probably would not last longer than a day or so. You’ll just have to play it by ear. When will the kittens return, and how long will they have been apart?
They’re coming back on Saturday, so they will have been separated for a week, and will be four weeks old when they return, so just at the beginning of weaning time. Would be great if she’s willing to teach them manners and cat behavior, even if she can’t nurse.

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The last time I updated, mother cat had mastitis, and we’d separated the three week old kittens last weekend so mama could recover.
We reintroduced them today after about a week apart. Mama took to the babies right away, and groomed each one in turn and got all their bums. However, it’s been over an hour now that the kittens have been home, and mama has been grooming them almost nonstop since we brought them back, except for a small snooze and right now she’s eating.
Is this normal? The kittens don’t seem too bothered by it, except for a little hissing at first and some gentle batting. We’re just not sure what normal reintroduction behavior is, so am curious.
Will she stop eventually?

Last edited by a moderator:

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is she still producing milk?
Hi, no she’s not, so we’re bottle feeding them. She did move them from their regular crate a couple of hours ago because she didn’t like how close we were, but we fed them in the new environment, and she was totally fine to let us do so. We were just in the living room to give them some privacy but she ran out to come fetch us so we’re back in their new room. So she wants us close but not too close. :rolleyes: Typical cat, haha.

They are at cruising age, so I think she’ll find that she’s gonna have a hard time keeping them still in one nest. We’re hoping that she calms down a bit with them so she’s not so neurotic. All in due time, I suppose.

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, it’s me again.

Kits are now on the verge of 5 weeks old, and I’m wondering if anyone has some words of encouragement around weaning?

They’ve been gnawing quite a bit on their bottle nipples and just generally being fussy when we try and feed, so we’ve been offering wet kitten food mixed with formula, both in the bottle or on a plate, all to varying consistencies. On two occasions, two separate kittens enjoyed the mix, but neither have touched it since, and the two little girls haven’t touch it at all. We'll also try and put their paws in it, get them to feed off our fingers or a spoon, again to no avail.

I get that maybe it’s just too early, but then, why all the problems getting them to suckle from bottles they were drinking just fine from a week ago? They seem frustrated as they gnaw on the nipples and struggle to eat, and we feel at a bit of a loss as to what else to try. One little girl even lost a couple of grams the other day, but made up for it during her late night and first morning feed today.

They otherwise all seem quite healthy and sturdy. They’re energetic and curious, can all use the litter box, and all groom themselves (and each other), and are learning to play with toys, and can climb pant legs with aplomb. But the routine feeding problems are leaving me feeling quite discouraged, and I worry about them.

Is their interest in solid food around the corner? I feel like I need to invest in a bottle nipple company for how many they chew holes into, but they just don’t care about solids yet.

Would love some words of advice or encouragement.

Oh, I forgot to mention that even if they eschew the bottle, they will still go attach to mama, but we know that because of the mastitis that she’s not producing much, if any. She’s patient with them to a point, but will get up and leave if she feels too assaulted.

Here is a pic from the happy fam.
FD62B1A6-FB90-4A45-B43C-E238411589B3.jpeg
FD62B1A6-FB90-4A45-B43C-E238411589B3.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are teething and chewing on the nipple feels good, but sometimes kittens bite off the tip and swallow it, so be careful.

Is the hole in the nipple big enough? Otherwise, offer their formula in a dish to lap. Perhaps they will try it, and just keep doing what you are doing. They should begin eating soft solids soon! :)

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, me again.

Well, our kits are seven weeks now, weaned and healthy and very rambunctious. Three of them do just fine with the litter box and have no trouble eliminating. The fourth one, though, just refuses to use the box. We have two set up in their nursery with pee pads underneath them. For a long time, the non-box using one would at least do his business on the pee pad, so while not ideal, it was better than peeing on the carpet, but just the other day, I noticed some dried poop in the closet of the room, and just this evening I noticed that he peed at the entrance of the closet.

Could he just not like the feel of the litter on his feet? We’re using a pine pellet, non-clumping litter. I put him in the box after meals and naps to help him make the connection, but he just hops right out and doesn’t even scratch around in it, even if I show him how to do it with a finger in a fresh box of litter. I clean the boxes twice a day—the larger one I scoop out the poop, and the smaller one I will fully replace the litter once a day.

Does anyone have some suggestions on what to do or what might be going on? He doesn’t have elimination problems otherwise, like his stools are normal. We don’t want to bring him out of the nursery to explore the rest of the house if he’s not fully litter trained. Thanks in advance.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would switch litters. As you suggested, he may not be comfortable with the feel of what you are using. Try the Dr. Elsey Kitten Attract litter. It’s made just for kittens like him! :)

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Newest issue:

The kittens are just shy of nine weeks. We got mama spayed a few days ago and we picked her up today. She seems fine with the kittens, and maybe a bit more aloof than in the past, but they’re less desperate to be with her all the time or nurse, either.
The issue we’re currently experiencing is that mama cat keeps going around the house meowing and we can’t figure out why. All the kittens are here so it’s not like she’s looking for one of them. They’re too big for her to move at this point. Occasionally she’ll go and lay down with them, but after a few mins she’ll start back up again for another anxious round. She’s been offered food, water, play time, and her litter box, but nothing stops the meowing.
Has anyone had experience with this or have an idea what’s happening? She doesn’t seem to be perturbed by her young ones. She’s not hissing or swatting at them, only some occasional rough wrestling, which she’s always done.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She’s confused from being away at the vet for a few days. She needs to familiarize herself with the home and her kittens again. She’s still healing and her hormones are changing. She will probably settle down again in a day or two, but why did she stay at the vet for so long? Most cats go home the same day or the next day. Were there complications?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with SArthur2's assessment of the situation. For older kittens who are stubborn about weaning, I use the plastic eyedroppers saved from antibiotic bottles. Right now, I have several who are refusing to wean - one is thought to be quite old, with molars, yet he has no taste for solid food. My vet wormed him & is having me add extra egg yolk to his formula along with canned kitten food made into a thin slurry as he was severely underweight when I got him.

vardnas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They’re fully weaned at this point onto wet and dry food. They just like to occasionally suckle on mommy, probably more for comfort than anything.
And my mom chose to leave her at the vet to recuperate for a few days precisely because the kits like to follow mama around and lay on her and nuzzle, and my mom finds it very stressful to have to keep them separate and be watchful over them so vigilantly to make sure they’re not messing with the stitches. She finds it easier to have mama heal for a few days at the vet and then bring her home. That might not be my choice in how to handle the situation but I pick my battles.
Everyone is much more calm today. I think having a night all together helped and mama is settled back at home. Now she just watches as the kits go crazy and run around.
Thank all for the input, as always!