Quarantining new cat

Abc12345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am adding a new kitten to the family and will need to quarantine her but don't know to what extent. What conditions can my cat get from a new kitten and how are they spread (saliva, airborne, etc.)? Will a baby gate do? Or do I need a solid wall separating my cat from the new kitten?

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am adding a new kitten to the family and will need to quarantine her but don't know to what extent. What conditions can my cat get from a new kitten and how are they spread (saliva, airborne, etc.)? Will a baby gate do? Or do I need a solid wall separating my cat from the new kitten?
Congratulations on your new kitten! It hasto be a solid partition (i.e. a closed door) to prevent the exchange of any airborne particles. 😻

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Separating a new kitten or cat at the onset into a single space is the best approach anyway. It gives the kitten a chance to acclimate to one room and be comfortable with those surroundings before being allowed to venture into larger spaces. Afterward a proper introduction to your other cat(s) should follow when you get the OK to stop with the quarantine. Here are a few TCS articles on the introduction process, as well as getting a new kitten/cat acclimated to a new home.
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips – TheCatSite Articles
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am assuming that this is an adoption from a shelter or purchase from a breeder? If it is more random than that, the kitten needs to go to the vet first for a check up and leukemia test at the least.