Quarantine baking

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I swear you are a baking wizard! :thumbsup: If I had that many desserts, dumplings and rolls in the house I would probably gain 100 lbs. You are a modern day Betty Crocker and should have your own show on the Food Network.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
This morning, Rick and I made 12 quarts of applesauce. And I made this apple coffee cake. I have just enough apples left to peel and slice for the crock pot tonight. I'm going to make apple butter. I'll make a couple jars of apple butter BBQ sauce with it, too. Hopefully, I'll get two pints of apple butter and two pints of apple butter BBQ sauce. And then, I'm done with apples for a while.

Oh, and this cake? It's really, really good. Nice and moist, with 3/4 cup of coffee. And a very simple brown sugar and cinnamon topping. It does have shortening and I know some people prefer only butter. But it's a good cake. Perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee! Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts I think it's the 7th recipe down the page....Apple Coffee Cake.
AppleCoffeeCake.jpg

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester this seems right up your alley :)

Amy Traverso's Cider Doughnut Muffins

Makes: 12 muffins • Active time: 20 minutes • Total time: 55 minutes for the muffins
Amy Traverso's cider doughnut muffins. (Courtesy Krissy O'Shea/Yankee Magazine)
Amy Traverso's cider doughnut muffins. (Courtesy Krissy O'Shea/Yankee Magazine)

Equipment

• 12-cup muffin tin of ⅓ cup capacity
  • 3- to 4-quart saucepan
  • stand or hand-held mixer
  • cake tester
  • pastry brush
Ingredients

For the muffins:

• 2 cups (473 milliliters) fresh apple cider
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick; 113 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for greasing pan
  • 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups (315 grams) all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon table salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
For the topping:

• 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated sugar
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick; 57 grams) salted butter, melted
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and set a rack to the middle position. Lightly grease the muffin tin. In a saucepan, bring the apple cider to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer until the liquid is reduced to 1 cup, 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
  2. Using a stand or hand-held mixer, cream the butter with the sugar in a large bowl at medium speed until fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending well after each. Add the vanilla and blend.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, nutmeg, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add a third of this mixture to the butter mixture and beat just to combine. Add half of the reduced cider and beat to combine. Repeat with another third of the flour mixture, then the rest of the cider, then the remaining flour mixture. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups and bake until the tops are firm and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
  4. Prepare the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon. As soon as the muffins are cool enough to handle, brush their tops and sides with the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Recipe from "The Apple Lover’s Cookbook: Revised and Updated." Copyright (c) 2020 by Amy Traverso. Used with permission of the publisher, W. W. Norton & Company, Inc. All rights reserved.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Wow, they certainly look good, don't they? I used all my apple cider, so must buy more. I'm not going to buy another gallon, but a quart will work fine for these. Stay tuned!

I did not get the apples into the slow cooker for apple butter. Turns out that I did not have enough apples to do what I needed to do. So, out of 80 pounds of apples, I got 20 dumplings, 5 apple pies, 12 quarts of sauce, and one apple coffee cake. I'm hoping to make apple fritters next week. I'd like to try the recipe that LTS3 LTS3 posted. And we have 10 apples for munching. Still, that's not bad overall.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know if you make it and how it turned out :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Winchester Winchester a few more you might like if you still have apples:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! I am going to make apple fritters....just don't know when! And I've been wanting to try hand pies; I just don't know how difficult they are to make.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Japanese Milk Bread Rolls from King Arthur. This recipe uses the tangzhong method of making a roux of flour, milk, and water and then using that in the bread dough. lizzie lizzie Remember when we talked about this? I think you had tried it and you loved it; are you still making it? I finally tried it today.
Here is the result....They are light, they are fluffy, and they are wonderful! I made a bit of honey-cinnamon butter to put on them. They are worth making every single week!

JapBreadRolls.jpg

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Japanese Milk Bread Rolls from King Arthur. This recipe uses the tangzhong method of making a roux of flour, milk, and water and then using that in the bread dough. lizzie lizzie Remember when we talked about this? I think you had tried it and you loved it; are you still making it? I finally tried it today.
Here is the result....They are light, they are fluffy, and they are wonderful! I made a bit of honey-cinnamon butter to put on them. They are worth making every single week!

View attachment 357998
I sure do remember,and I make it every once in awhile....kind of as a special treat.I think I got the idea from Christopher Kimball.Reminds me very much of the thickener used to make the whipped frosting.Beautiful rolls Pam!

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
lizzie lizzie I make my thickener for peanut butter whipped frosting that way. Now I can do it with bread dough, too. It's an amazing dough!
Thanks!

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now I'm making my third batch of chocolate chip cookies this week. One batch was for a church event, One batch was for our friends, and this one is for my family, who was upset that he couldn't have the cookies from the other batches :lol2:

My friend turned me on to the Nestle Toll Hous recipe, which is one of the best recipes I've tried. I've used it ever since!

If anybody wants it, this is the link to the Original Nestle® Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Right now I'm making my third batch of chocolate chip cookies this week. One batch was for a church event, One batch was for our friends, and this one is for my family, who was upset that he couldn't have the cookies from the other batches :lol2:

My friend turned me on to the Nestle Toll Hous recipe, which is one of the best recipes I've tried. I've used it ever since!

If anybody wants it, this is the link to the Original Nestle® Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
There’s nothing like a good chocolate chip cookie recipe! I love them when they’re still warm from the oven. I also warm them slightly in the microwave later before eating. I’ve been doing the same with the brownies I make. Yum!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

A local news station interviewed the daughter of the baker who created the recipe and got the real original recipe, which if you read through the thread a few people have questioned.

There's a TCS thread with cookie recipes: Recipes - Cookies There are some chocolate chip recipes there.

I have a few chocolate chip cookie recipes cut out from the local newspaper that are really good.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
This was definitely quarantine baking. I made cookies for family and friends we won't be seeing at Thanksgiving--oatmeal butternut squash cookies.

IMG_0041.jpeg

I have some squash puree left over--I think I'll make another batch to keep at home and freeze. :yummy: