Quarantine baking

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am irritated with the NY Times today. They have a notice that covid-19 information is free at this time. Some of their covid-19 culinary information is freely available, like the snickerdoodle pound cake that I showed Winchester Winchester . Today they have an article with 21 recipes for quarantine baking, sections for easy, intermediate, advanced. Click on any of the links and they want to know my account. So I enter my (free) account information and it wants me to buy an account for cooking in order to access these recipes.

Does this not seem like bait-and-switch to you?
That's not fair and I'd let them know it's not fair.

Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country really frustrate me sometimes. On FB, they throw a lot of their recipes online. But when you go to the recipe, then it says that you have to sign up for a free account. And now they're charging $1.00 a month for access. Now, a dollar isn't really all that much, I agree. But many people are out of work right now and have yet to receive unemployment or anything. And, in my case, I'm already subscribing to both magazines in print. Sometimes I think they're a little too greedy, IMO.

It just bugs me.

Baking today. I'm making sticky buns. I've had a hankering for sticky buns lately. Rick saw the butter in the fridge yesterday morning and asked me what I was making. When I told him I was making sticky buns on Monday, he wondered why I couldn't make them yesterday. Because I didn't feel like it! He wasn't amused. And, you know, it's not like he never gets any treats. Geez.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baking today. I'm making sticky buns. I've had a hankering for sticky buns lately. Rick saw the butter in the fridge yesterday morning and asked me what I was making. When I told him I was making sticky buns on Monday, he wondered why I couldn't make them yesterday. Because I didn't feel like it! He wasn't amused. And, you know, it's not like he never gets any treats. Geez.
:flail::crackup:

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester We must think alike - I was looking for cake flour yesterday too! Now, here's my question for you. Cake flour is easy enough to make: 1 cup all purpose flour minus 2 Tablespoons, plus 2 Tablespoons corn starch. But I agree with you that mixing and sifting, sifting, sifting just before baking is a nuisance. Have you ever mixed up a batch of "homemade" cake flour in advance?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I watched this video the other night. I don't have Hennessy but I do have Grand Marnier. I think it would work just as well. :yummy:

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I would love a piece of your lemon loaf! Please!
C catapault I have not made it in advance and stored it, so I can't say anything about it. I just try to always have it on hand. I use Softasilk by Pillsbury, simply because that's what the store usually has in stock.
Kat0121 Kat0121 I love Grand Marnier!

I made the Tender White Cake from King Arthur this morning. Frosted it with Easy Buttercream, one of their recipes. The cake is simply wonderful. Great texture, awesome flavor. (I just used skim milk in the cake as that's all we ever have in the fridge.) It is just so good. It took me about 10 minutes longer to bake it than the recipe stated (probably because of my oven issues). The frosting? Ehhhhh, not so much. I wasn't impressed. Part of it is that I'm out of clear vanilla and the brown vanilla kind of colored the frosting. And I didn't like the way it set up; I could have used more powdered sugar, but boy, it was awfully sweet as it was and I didn't even use all the powdered sugar the recipe called for. I'll make the cake again, but I'll use my own recipe for the vanilla frosting. Still, we each enjoyed a piece earlier this afternoon with a good dollop of fresh strawberries and it was yummy.
Tender White Cake

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I use Swans Down cake flour as that's what stores seem to stock here in New Jersey. Except right now, of course. I asked a friend who is a professional baker. She said 14 ounces AP flour, 2 ounces corn starch. Sift, sift and then refrigerate or freeze.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Winchester Winchester The IGA actually had one box of Sofasilk cake flour. Just one, mind you. You had mentioned this brand, so into my cart it went. When I got home I noticed that it is enriched and bleached. But hey, in these covid-19 times we take what we can get and are grateful, right? And for the limited number of cakes I'll be baking it's no biggie.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama , I'll trade you two large sticky buns for a slice of the lemon loaf and a slice of your cinnamon swirl loaf. My, that looks tasty!
C catapault , I can only get Softasilk cake flour in my store. That's all they carry. One of these times when I do a King Arthur order, I'm going to try their cake flour. I use it when I make my white coconut cake and when I make spongecake crusts for my cheesecakes. And now for that tender white cake from King Arthur. I'll have to try your homemade cake flour. Thanks!
betsygee betsygee , I love biscuits. Yours look so good!

Rick wants a frozen peanut butter pie for our Memorial Day dinner. I'm kind of hungry for a lemon meringue pie. I don't know, there's something about lemon in the spring time. I'll do his PB pie and make a lemon meringue later on.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama , I'll trade you two large sticky buns for a slice of the lemon loaf and a slice of your cinnamon swirl loaf. My, that looks tasty!
I'll absolutely trade the lemon loaf, but not sure if the cinnamon swirl loaf is up for trading or not. I kinda made an error in measuring the ingredients and put 1/2 cup of butter instead of 1/4 cup. :doh: Since it's the first time I've made it, not sure how it's supposed to turn out. It's ok, I think. Obviously not low fat. :rolleyes3:

MikyPiky

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I made some scones yesterday for the first time in my life. I didn't add mix ins cause I prefer them plain. They came out perfectly, golden brown and steaming! We served them with tea, butter, and jam. They were SO good! I will definitely make again!

I also have been making a quick baked apple treat when I want a little treat. It's so yummy. I'm starting to love desserts with apples, I used to hate them!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I keep baking like I have been doing the last week, that "Quarantine 15" is going to be a reality. :lol: Oh, well, I'll be running out of flour soon, and who knows if I'll be able to find more in the store or not.

Today's baking was Banana Double Chocolate Muffins. They are just as delicious as they sound, so in case anyone wants to try making them, I posted the recipe in the Recipes - Cakes And Other Baked Desserts thread.

IMG_0816.jpg