Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community
Share A Funny Cat Story To Win Gwen Cooper's Book! Click here for details

Pyrantel Pamoate Dosing Question/Problem

Discussion in 'Cat Health' started by mej_1, May 17, 2014.

1. mej_1

mej_1 Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jan 19, 2010
    USA
    I was told by my previous veterinarian that I could use OTC Pyrantel Pamoate horse and dog products for my cats. She said that cats get 9 mg/lb and I could use the dosages on Drontal as my guideline, even though they were higher. She suggested using the liquid OTC products for horses because they are usually around 50 mg per ml, whereas the dog products are 2.27 mg or 4.54 mg per ml. So with the horse products, the cats would get less liquid. She said I'd have to figure out the exact dosage myself because each product is different.

So that brings me to my problem. I found a liquid Pyrantel Pamoate wormer on Amazon that is 50 mg per ml. The problem is that people in the reviews can't agree on the dosage for a cat and it's making me question my own math. I think they are all wrong and I'm right. Here's the one review that's throwing me off - http://www.amazon.com/review/R13P1P...ge=&ref_=cm_cr_pr_cmt#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

If a cat gets 9 mg/lb then an 8 pound cat would get 72 mg, right? Which means an 8 pound cat would get 1.44 ml of this particular product, right? Not the 0.45 ml that was suggested in the product review, right?

Just to reiterate, my previous veterinarian said it was ok to use an OTC Pyrantel Pamoate product on my cats. Unfortunately, she moved away and my current vet sucks. She won't call me back and her employees are clueless morons. That's why I'm asking this question here.

2. stephanietx

stephanietx TCS Member Veteran

Dec 1, 2005
    Texas
    I wish I could help, but I have no experience.  I would try to locate the manufacturer's website and either email them or see if they have the info there. 

3. red top rescue

red top rescue TCS Member Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Acworth GA, USA
    What we use is the dog concentration, and this is the manufacturers recommended dosage:

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings></xml><![endif]

NEMEX2 (pyrantel pamoate, 4.54 mg./ml.) – 1 ml. per 2 lbs.  Wormer for rounds and whipworms

Newly Acquired Animals: Worm immediately, repeat in 2 weeks, then follow above recommendations.

Liquid Daily dosage: One ml per 2 lbs of body weight or 1 teaspoon (5 ml) per each 10 lbs. of body weight.

By these calculations, an 8 lb. cat would get 4 ml. of this concentration which equals 4 x 4.54 mg. = 18.16 mg. total.

The 50 mg./ml. is the large animal concentration, which we dont keep around lest someone make a mistake and dose it like the dog concentration.  I don't think a cat should be getting 72 mg.

The article you referenced is correct:  "The dosage suggested by both vets, for a medicine at this concentration, was 0.45 mL, or 0.09 teaspoons for my 8 pound cat. This calculation was based on the suspension concentration, at 50mg per mL for this particular bottle. This matches up with Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, which references 5-10 mg/kg. My 8 pound cat weighs 3.6287 kilos, so the dosage would be 18.1435 to 36.287 mg."

I recommend you get the dog concentration.  It's available at most feed stores.

[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <m:smallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument></xml><![endif][if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif][if gte mso 10]><style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;mso-style-noshow:yes;mso-style-priority:99;mso-style-parent:"";mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;mso-para-margin-top:0in;mso-para-margin-right:0in;mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;mso-para-margin-left:0in;line-height:115%;mso-pagination:widow-orphan;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}</style><![endif]

Last edited: May 17, 2014

4. mej_1

mej_1 Thread Starter TCS Member Young Cat

Jan 19, 2010
    USA
    You're wrong, Red Top Rescue. The Merck Veterinary Manual and the Handbook of Veterinary Pharmacology both indicate a cat receives 20 mg/kg while dogs receive 5-10 mg/kg, depending on weight.

An 8 lb. cat is around 3.63 kg. So 20 mg x 3.63 kg = 72.6 mg of Pyrantel Pamoate. According to Drontal (the prescription wormer), an 8 lb. cat would receive 72.6 mg (1 pill).

A 25 lb. dog would receive 56.8 mg (11.36 kg x 5 mg = 56.8 mg), while a 5 lb. dog would receive 22.7 mg (2.27 kg x 10 mg = 22.7 mg).

If I used the NEMEX2, I'd have to give an 8 lb. cat 1 tbsp. (72 mg / 4.54 mg = 15.85 ml or 1 tbsp) vs. the 1.44 ml with the Pyrantel for horses at 50 mg/ml.

Yes, a cat dosage is higher than a dog. Wow, I can't believe everyone is underdosing their cats. Or is my math really that off? Are there any licensed techs or veterinarians here that can verify my dosage is correct? Maybe I'll ask the local spay/neuter shelter since I just recently got a bunch of cats "fixed" there.

5. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Most of us don't deworm this way, we just get dosage for one cat at a time from the vet.  I doubt we are under dosing our cats.

6. catwoman707

catwoman707 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    It is dosed at APPROX  0.1 ml per 2 lbs. at most vets.

Suppoedly this is how you calculate the dose to be exact.

Body weight in pounds divided by 2.2 gives you the body weight in kg.

For example, a 15 pound cat is 6.81 kg.

Then, take the kg weight and multiply it by 5 -- in the example above, the 15 pound (6.81 kg) cat would get 34 mg of the pyrantel.

Since each ml contains 50 mg, take 34 and divide by 50......34/50 = .68 mls. The dose of the pyrantel for the 15 pound cat is .68 mls.

Here is a dosing chart to use:

8 pound cat .36 mls

9 pound cat .40 mls

10 pound cat .45 mls

11 pound cat .5 mls

12 pound cat .54 mls

13 pound cat .6 mls

14 pound cat .63 mls

16 pound cat .68 mls.

Personally I dose my rescue cats higher, about 0.1 per lb, but it's not what they actually tell you.

It is extremely mild, no harm will come from a higher dose either.

Repeat in 2 weeks.

I also have drontal here, label says each pill contains 72.6% pyrantel.

2-3 lbs-1/2 pill

4-8 lbs-1 pill

9-12 lbs-1 1/2 pills

13-16 lbs-2 pills

Last edited: May 19, 2014

7. red top rescue

Dec 27, 2012
    Acworth GA, USA
    We may indeed be underdosing our cats here at Red Top,since we've been using the dog formula,  although the Cherokee shelter I foster for does their own worming and uses generic drontal, I'm not sure of the dose becaue I don't do it..  Tastes bad, though, so we've been using the Nemex2 here.  I dont have a lot of resident cat adoptions, have not heard of any of our adoptees testing positive for round worms, though.

8. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    My vet just says to use 1 ml for any cat over 5 pounds and under 15 pounds :tongue2:. And .5 ml for kittens. I find that a little too general so I prefer to go a little more based on the cat's exact weight. But I've always gone with the 5-10 mg/kg dosage. Now that I see that the Merck manual does say 20 mg/kg for cats so I guess I have been underdosing, with my vet's advice :dk:. It's always seemed to work anyway.

With the Merck dosage, for a 10-pound cat you'd use roughly 1.7 ml of the 50 mg/ml concentration.

9. catwoman707

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    See and my ...oh boy of course can't think of the darn name, anyway it just goes to show you the different vets recommendations.

I think for the most part it is right around 0.1 per 2 lbs, I just got in the habit with rescue cats and kittens to up the dose since it's virtually harmless.

Nobody is right or wrong here :)

10. littlejaggers

littlejaggers TCS Member Kitten

Jun 27, 2015
    My vet told me to dose at .1cc per pound then repeat in 3 weeks.

11. catwoman707

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    That's what I do, but repeat in 2 weeks not 3.

12. nstaib

nstaib TCS Member Kitten

Jul 1, 2015
    with your history in rescue, can you dose a 3 week old kitten with this?
    if so, what would the dosage be, he weighs 8 ounces, so i'm having a hard time finding anything for this orphan.

13. catwoman707

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    I'm not sure why you feel you need to give him wormer at this age, but the dose would be 0.1 ml.

14. nansiludie

nansiludie TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 14, 2014
    I'd like to add in this, I buy this wormer for round worms and follow the dosage on the package

I get a syringe from a local pharmacy, walmart gave them to me for free. get the dosing syringe, the regular one. I mix the dosage with a little canned pate cat food or tuna water.

15. nstaib

nstaib TCS Member Kitten

Jul 1, 2015
    he already has worms, otherwise, i'd just wait. thanks for the dosing info. he was found in a barn inside a bucket with the remains of the rest of his littermates. he was the only one that survived.

shawneecatmom purraised this.

16. catwoman707

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    Oh.....poor little baby :( How sad.

Very glad he found you to care for him!

nstaib and shawneecatmom purraised this.

17. red top rescue

Dec 27, 2012
    Acworth GA, USA
    Actually we discussed last year, aside from the different dose per weight between puppies and kittens (kittens get twice as much), the main confusion stems from the fact that pyrantel pamoate suspension is sold in several different CONCENTRATIONS.

The lowest concentration is 2.27 mg. of pyrantel pamoate per ml.

The Nemex2 BRAND contains 4.54 mg.of pyrantel pamoate per ml. so giving 1 ml. = giving 4.54 mg.

However, another common concentration of the pyrantel pamoate suspension is 50 mg. per ml, i.e. TEN TIMES as much as the Nemex2, so therefore giving 1 ml. = giving 50 mg.

So you need to know the concentration you are using before you can say what the amount to use is.  @catlover707 is obviously using the 50 mg./ml. suspension, and I am using the 4.54 mg/ml suspension.

If you want to be even more confused, the same drug is used for humans at a rate of 11 mg/kg. to treat pinworms and the concentration is given as "250 mg. per teaspoon."

It would certainly be very helpful if the world would get together an all use the same measuring systems.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

18. nstaib

nstaib TCS Member Kitten

Jul 1, 2015
    it is the 4.54 mg/1ml. it would be AMAZING if the dosage was the same across the board! that would be WAY too easy though! the best part is the concentration differences! at least the stuff that i was able to find is for tiny critters. they have the 50mg/1ml on the next aisle over. i LOVE med dosing for critters ALMOST as much as i like having to HUNT for the meds they CAN use!

19. mperkins52

mperkins52 TCS Member Kitten

Sep 26, 2015
    I am greatly confused reading the posts and would love some help ..... I have 4 ferals (mother and three grown kittens) all about 8 to 9 lbs that we TNR'd at our house ..... they have remained here .... it now appears they may have worms. I have the Columbia Lab Pyrantel Paomate (Pyrantel base 50mg/mL).  The cats usually eat together. We planned to apply wormer to some canned food when we know they all four are there to eat. I have seen from .45 ml to 1.7 ml per cat. One local rescue person told me 8 ml (i.e., 2 ml per cat) for the four cats if we feed them together, then repeat in 3 weeks and 3 weeks after that. That sounds high compared to what I have read here. Feeding them individually will be difficult since they stay together most of the time..... Any help would be so appreciated ....

20. catwoman707

Dec 16, 2011
    Vallejo, CA
    For young kittens I give 0.1 ml per lb, but as the size/weight goes up it is reduced a bit.

For 8-9 lb cats I would dose them at 0.6 mls each.

It's going to be difficult to hide that amt of pyrantel in the food!

What makes you say they have worms?