Pyoderma on front legs

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Giada had to be held at the clinic overnight a week ago. The vets put two IV lines in both her front legs, and when she was discharged she had two bandages that I removed when we were back home. The vet put those bandages on a a safety measure. Giada has hemophilia, so when they removed the lines they wanted to make sure so bleeding could happen on the way home.

Giada has been licking her shaved spots, but I didn't realize the damage until a few days later when we had a follow up visit and the vet saw she had developed pyoderma on both legs.

I'm treating her with a cream that the vet gave me for free. It's a natural antiseptic (Hypericum and Neem Oil). The vet told me the cream has a very bitter taste so the cat would not lick it off. But my Giada doesn't care, and she started licking it away. So I wrapping her legs with gauzes and tubular netting bandages.

Anyone with a past experience on this? How long will it take to heal? The vet wasn't able to tell me.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Pyoderma is not very common in cats. I wouldn't put anything topical on it because cats always lick off whatever is put on them. They aren't dogs, and will suffer the taste in order to be clean. Wrapping the legs is going to be hard as well because it is very easy to injure them in the wrapping process or having the wrap injure them. Most of the time cats will remove any bandage you put on them. Probably best that the air get to the area. If it is a pyoderma, systemic antibiotics will probably be the best choice and maybe even an Elizabethan collar. I would let your vet know that she is licking off the neem oil cream.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wrapping the legs is going to be hard as well because it is very easy to injure them in the wrapping process or having the wrap injure them.
My cat is extremely quiet and lets me handle her without any hassles.
She usually allows me to brush her teeth, clip her nails, brush her coat, etc.
Likewise, she is currently allowing me to wrap her legs without complaining, she doesn't fight or wriggle, so there is no risk of injuries.

Probably best that the air get to the area. If it is a pyoderma, systemic antibiotics will probably be the best choice and maybe even an Elizabethan collar. I would let your vet know that she is licking off the neem oil cream.
I let my vet know that she was licking it off. I asked her if a bandage could be useful, she said that cats tend to get rid of it, but my experience proved the opposite.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am quite sure you have researched Pyoderma, but from what I looked at it doesn't seem that it is being treated adequately. You didn't mention any sort of antibiotic and that seems to be the 'norm. Not only that, but it would seem the antibiotic (oral) treatment may need to last as long as a month or so, depending on what you read. The antibiotics can also be dependent on an analysis via a skin scraping to determine what kind of bacteria/fungus may be involved. The thing I worry about with you bandaging her legs is the issue of potentially 'harboring' the bacteria/fungus.

Perhaps all of the above has been done. I just didn't see you mention anything about these things. Hopefully, your approach will suffice, but I would at least check into the antibiotic aspect.
Bacterial Infection (Pyoderma) of the Skin in Cats | PetMD
Pyoderma in Cats - Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (animalwised.com)

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to admit that I did research Pyoderma, but in my language only, and there wasn't much. It was as if this was a rare or unknown issue, until I read your links.
My vet did mention some antiobitics, but then she changed her mind and told me to just use that cream.

This morning I called the vet and explained her that things aren't going too well, it seems to me that the left leg lesion is getting a little worse, despite it being wrapped and protected in a bandage.
I asked her to start an antibiotic therapy, she told me to buy a cream with antibiotic and cortisone (Gentamicin + Betamethasone) to be applied on both lesions for at least 7 days twice a day.

The bandage is fine, according to the vet, even because the cat is licking the lesions and this doesn't allow them to heal.
Giada is looking sad and depressed. At lunch she didn't want to eat, and this was the first time in her life. I had to sit with her and comofrt her for a while before she could feel like she had some appetite. I think that having both legs wrapped makes her sad.

Giada_20220506 left.jpg

Left leg (the hair is wet with medication)

Giada_20220506 right.jpg

Right leg (the hair is wet with medication)

Giada_20220505.jpg

Both legs with bandages

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty cat but she does look a bit sad. Maybe a soft collar like this one would help? Apologies for it being in UK Pounds but you should be able to get similar in America.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082SSRFJ3/?tag=
That photo was from last night. Tonight she's even more depressed 😔
I can't tell her anymore. She was happy and playful, now she's just a shadow.

I thought of a e-collar, but it could impede her movements, especially in the litter box.

Thanks for the link. I have a soft collar that could help. I will try over the weekend, when I can control her more.

Anyway, I am not in America, I'm Italian and live in Italy 😊

Tigger's Mum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That photo was from last night. Tonight she's even more depressed 😔
I can't tell her anymore. She was happy and playful, now she's just a shadow.

I thought of a e-collar, but it could impede her movements, especially in the litter box.

Thanks for the link. I have a soft collar that could help. I will try over the weekend, when I can control her more.

Anyway, I am not in America, I'm Italian and live in Italy 😊
My apologies. I thought you were in America. I'm wondering, as she seems to be even more depressed if the skin problem has developed into an infection. If she has a temperature she won't be very well. Maybe worth you getting her checked asap by the vet or another vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don’t want to tell you to go against your vet, so I will just say my peace and then stop.
Please don’t wrap the legs. Don’t apply anything topical. Wait and see if it gets better even with her licking.
Please consider the above ASAP. Please!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious. May I ask you why you advise against wrapping and medicating?

Things are like they are because she started licking her legs right after she came back home from the clinic.
At first they were just two shaved legs like it always happened before. Then I started noticing these two tiny pinkish spots, but I dismissed them as "I didn't notice them before, the vets must have shaved her down to the very bare skin". Giada would lick her legs constantly, but I didn't care. She's rather obsessive with grooming herself.

When we were at the clinic for the follow up visit, the vet saw these two reddish spots and told what it was.
She gave me that Hypericum cream, but the cat was still licking a lot, until I noticed that one of the two legs had developed this dark red, thick skin and wet area that you see in the photo.

I tried to clean it up with a gauze and the gauze got stained with some pink fluids, so I guess that the skin was badly damaged, and her licking couldn't do any good to it. It was only getting worse.
That's why I decided to wrap both legs.
Then the vet gave me that antibiotic cream.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I don't understand is why this happened.
I mean, she had been at the vets before, she got her legs shaved before, and nothing happened.
Why this time?

Could she have picked up something at the clinic during the overnight stay?

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My apologies. I thought you were in America. I'm wondering, as she seems to be even more depressed if the skin problem has developed into an infection. If she has a temperature she won't be very well. Maybe worth you getting her checked asap by the vet or another vet.
She's fine on that department. I've been checking her temperature (feeling her ears) every half an hour for the whole day.

Today she's more alert, she ate and acted like herself. Probably it was just a matter of getting used to the bandaging.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to be quick with this. I don't have time to do links to studies etc.

Pyoderma is not diagnosed by a visual look. There has to be a cytology, skin scraping done and that is put on a slide and stained and looked at under a microscope. Then bacteria and or inflammatory cells are seen that either identify a bacterial infection or something else, such as fungal etc. Some sort of diagnostic must be done to identify. In some situations, a culture is sent to the lab and whatever bacteria, or fungus is identified along with the correct antibiotic if indicated.

Betamethasone and Gentocin should not be used topically on cats. The problem is that these topicals can be absorbed enough through a cats skin to cause systemic issues, metabolic. renal. hepatic involvement can be manifest just from topical use. These products can cause a permanent thinning of the skin on the affected aea. If the cat licks off these products, which all cats will, the bad side effects are even worse. This can lead to the symptoms you are seeing. This can also lead to the increase in irritation you have seen in the area where these things are applied. The other problem is that you don't really know what you are treating. But, lets say it is a bacteria, which it probably was to begin with, you really don't want steroids on it because they will hinder the body's ability to fight off the infection.

Bandageing in cats is not easy. Just because the bandage stays on does not mean it is a good bandage. If a cat leg is bandaged the bandage must incoorperate the entire foot and leg. The bandage must start at the foot and go up the entire leg. The first layer is done of thick cast padding or cotton and it must be an even layer and thick enough to prevent and circulatory issues. You honestly can kill a cat with a poor bandage. You wrap the leg with even pressure from the toes up the leg with cast padding, cotton and then follow with a layer of gauze wrap. After that you can either apply tape or vet wrap but your outer layer of material cannot extend beyond the cotton. Every cat that has a bandage on should have an e-collar on to prevent the cat from removing the bandage.

Your cat should not have a bandage. Bandages are not for people to do at home. It takes special training to apply a bandage to a cat or a dog. It isn't about it staying on. Your cat does not need a bandage because bandaging is not the way to treat a skin disorder in a cat.

You asked why your cat got this. Perhaps there was something on the clippers they used that introduced bacteria. Maybe it was an allergic reaction to one of the scrubs they used.

I am not a veterinarian. I am just stating my opinion based on my experience and education (informal).

I hope your cat is feeling better soon.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Giada had to be held at the clinic overnight a week ago. The vets put two IV lines in both her front legs, and when she was discharged she had two bandages that I removed when we were back home. The vet put those bandages on a a safety measure. Giada has hemophilia, so when they removed the lines they wanted to make sure so bleeding could happen on the way home.

Giada has been licking her shaved spots, but I didn't realize the damage until a few days later when we had a follow up visit and the vet saw she had developed pyoderma on both legs.

I'm treating her with a cream that the vet gave me for free. It's a natural antiseptic (Hypericum and Neem Oil). The vet told me the cream has a very bitter taste so the cat would not lick it off. But my Giada doesn't care, and she started licking it away. So I wrapping her legs with gauzes and tubular netting bandages.

Anyone with a past experience on this? How long will it take to heal? The vet wasn't able to tell me.
I don't have constructive input, just wanted to send my well wishes for a speedy recovery to your beautiful Giada :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have constructive input, just wanted to send my well wishes for a speedy recovery to your beautiful Giada :)
:yeah:

Since I have never dealt with Pyoderma before either I am sending special thoughts and healing vibes for Giada and you. :vibes::vibes:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm following the advice from S silent meowlook , yesterday I removed the bandaging and medication, and put a collar to Giada. It's a soft collar around the neck, where it is really soft and comfortable.
I wouldn't like the kind of collar like the ones in the link, because I think they are heavier, and moreover the cat can't see around and could get nervous. I also read poor reviews on them.

I'm removing the collar at meals so that she can eat in peace. I see that if I allow her some more time without it, she immediately goes for her legs and starts licking them. I think I will have her wear that collar for not shorter than a week.

Giada 20220508.jpg

She doesn't look happy...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last Friday, that is five days ago, I found out that both cats had vomited their meal, very unusual, especially for Giada who had never thrown up before.
I also found the poor remains of a Scutigera ( THIS ) on the floor, it was clear that they chased the creature and ate part of it at night. Internet says that they are harmless for humans and pets, but nonetheless they can be irritant if the creature bites or stings.

So I thought that both kitties could have thier stomach upset because of this. I called the clinic, and off we went, again, with both cats. I think I have to find a house close to the clinic.

Freya was fine, after all... Now I wonder if this could have had anything to do with her last issues.
A quick blood test on Giada said that everything was fine, the ultrasound scan saw some irritation in her stomach, and the diagnosis was a gastritis. Both cats were given a shot of Cerenia, another syringe was handed to me to give to Giada only the next day, which I did on Saturday.

When Giada vomited, she soiled her e-cone, so I removed it and didn't put it on again since.
Her legs are doing fine, no more licking, no more medication.
We're just waiting for the hair to grow back on her legs.