Putting Weight On A Rescue Cat?

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise
Any ideas?
We got her last week. Now, mind you, she just got spayed so that may be part of it. Still recovering possibly. Her surgery was on the 14 of May.

But anyway, it's hard to tell due to her coat....

But she is seriously boney. The APL gave her a clean bill of health..BUT...so far...we took her Wednesday to be treated for a cold, because she came home sick. On top of that, she doesn't eat much. They said the cold will last anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks. She was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic...which I found strange, because they said it was viral??? Whatever.

Anyway, I have TRIED EVERYTHING. I got Kitten's milk, I got a calorie paste, I have wet food and dry food. It's like pulling teeth. She really is very skinny under all of that. On top of the bubbly nose and sneezing.

I got the kitten milk, because the vet suggested it would be easier for her to eat when sick. However, it's not doing much.

She is more active in the past 24 hours, then she was prior. But in my experience an 8 month old cat is generally more perky. Any ideas here? When she does manage to eat, she has more energy. But her cloggy nose is not helping the situation.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - yeah, poor baby, she can't smell anything so nothing appeals.
She is more active in the past 24 hours, then she was prior
This is a good thing! She's doing her best to get better. Have you tried putting her in the bathroom and running a hot shower to try and help her clear her airways?

Goat's milk? Can you get an appetite stimulant from the vet?
Have you tried gently heating canned kitten food or even adult canned to try and increase the smell factor?

Try some really stinky canned food - there are some brands that smell up the whole house, ummm, let's see, Merrick, Fancy Feast (not so much smelly but most cats will eat it), Pet Pride pouches from Walmart - not so much for smell but it has a lot of gravy that she might go for (my Big Guy won't eat the bits even if I chop them into smaller pieces).

How about mackerel or tuna? Treats? Raw egg yolk (the white must be cooked).

Best of luck to you!!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would recommend feeding her high protein wet, and dry. You want high protein, not just high calorie high carbs or fats. You want her to gain muscle weight, not just fat. Kitten foods are something i often feed a sick, or new rescue that needs lots of nutrition. Once she is healthier you can always switch to adult foods. They normally will put on weight fairly quick.

I would recommend 2 or 3 wet meals per day, and leave dry out for her all the time. My favorite dry food is Dr elseys, when i had kittens i often used Merrick kitten food. i feed a wide variety of wet foods as well.

I like to look up food in several different places, but these two are my favorite.

https://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MidlifeDaydreams

Midlife Daydreams
Young Cat
Purraise
How about mackerel or tuna? Treats? Raw egg yolk (the white must be cooked).
ok, so just the yellow raw? Should I just separate it and throw out the white? And thank you.

So it's 8 pm now, and she's active. Still sneezing, but at least she's perking up. She did eat some of the wet food. I tried a new brand.

I mean the scary part was her not pooping at all. Just pee. So at least she finally pood. It's nerve-wracking. I got Pepper at the APL, but that was 10 years ago and she was a lot sturdier and healthier. Currently, our APL is overwhelmed. That and she was removed from a hoarder home, notorious for sick animals. I guess it just takes a while for the cats to get into prime shape?

My other thought, was too many meds at once? There were apparently so many cats removed, it became sort of an assembly line at the APL. Tons of shots, dewormers, flea and tick meds, antibiotics etc... An old co-worker of mine is the one who did Chloe's paperwork. She said it was quite the scene when all the cats came in. Said the lady who was hoarding, is a repeat offender. So I'm thinking possibly the immune system was jolted quite a bit and maybe all of that together with all those meds, plus being microchipped and spayed, was just a lot on her little body all at once?

And I'm definitely trying the egg yolk. She's a hugger, this one is. Always right up underfoot. I had to put a bell on her, so I don't step on her! I couldn't hear her at all, then I was tripping over her. LOL I just wish she'd get better soon. It's hard having someone so small, and not being able to understand if they're hurting. My kids shout whats wrong with them, from the roof tops!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess it just takes a while for the cats to get into prime shape?
Yes, definitely

So I'm thinking possibly the immune system was jolted quite a bit and maybe all of that together with all those meds, plus being microchipped and spayed, was just a lot on her little body all at once?
I'm thinking absolutely yes, including the stress of transport, the new location, being handled by unfamiliar people, lordy, what a lot for a feline to deal with.

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I volunteer at shelter, and we did have some cats with similar situation.
when we wipe up runny nose with warm, soft towel, for minute or two they can smell food.
It is hard to feed cat who cannot smell. but if they taste and smell the kind of food they like, even if it is just at the beginning and they get their nose stuffed right after, they tend to eat it for good amount.
Hope this helps you.

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello, I've just been in a similar situation with a rescue, don't worry it will take longer than a week, it was nearly three weeks before my bag of bones was close to normal weight and he spent that time resting 23.9 hours a day. Just keep on doing what you're doing and she'll be fine

She's lovely, congratulations on the new family member.