Putting out the call to all kitty lovers

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I never thought I would be writing this post.

One of my cats, a ten month old male kitten got out of my house four days ago and got stuck in one of my trees. Yesterday, a neighbor of mine came by with a thirty foot ladder to try to rescue him. Unfortunately that very kind and caring act only made the kitty go up higher. He is now on the very top branch. This will be his 5th night up there. I have tried coaching him with pouring food into a dish, shaking a food bag and popping off the lids of cans that contain wet food. Nothing has worked and he is meowing his little head off. It has been in the teens at night here.

How long can a cat survive in a tree? I was always been told that if they get hungry or thirsty enough they will come down. I am questioning that philosophy now.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I would sure love to hear them.

Thank you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Call the fire department. They have a ladder that can reach all the way up there, and despite the cliche, they do rescue animals in trees.

Mr. Meow, thank you so much for your speedy reply. I am very hearten by it.

My fire department will not touch this situation. They said they use to rescue cats from trees, but stopped doing it quite awhile back. I know time is of the essence now and he is so very frighten. I feel ashamed that I listen to the folklore that they will come down on their own.

I was thinking maybe a tree trimming service?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! You can try a tree trimming service. Call around and explain so maybe you find someone who has a cat. You can also rent tall ladders. Can you climb yourself? The cat will be scared and you need something for him to hold onto if you get up there. A towel to wrap around him. Wear a very thick coat. He may dig in. Even a back pack to place him in might work. A construction or roofing company might help. Our radio station and local news often puts things like this out to ask for help. Try calling ALL stations. Put this out on Nextdoor too. I know the cat climbed higher but if you keep trying with that neighbor, he might back down just enough to get him. Call local vets too and ask for ideas. This can’t be the only time this has happened locally. Someone will care. The local animal control may be of help too. What about the power company or some business that has trucks with bucket lifts? Can you place anything in the tree that the cat can use to climb down? Small platforms attached to the tree? Leave a ladder tied to the tree? I like your idea about a tree trimmer. They often use ropes to climb and can be suspended while using their free hands to get kitty. Kitty must be approached slowly so he is not more afraid. Coaxed verbally. I have climbed trees too. Cats are sometimes just afraid to back down. Kitty may calm though and begin to back down. He is just really scared. My whole heart is there. Please do let us know.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might try getting a lot of others to appeal to the fire department too. Maybe enough calls will get them to give in and help. Get it on the news and they may help. Get children to call if possible. Or, go there with children to ask! It’s a cold heart that will turn down a child asking for a hero to save a cat.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A long extension ladder might be an idea. If you can extend it so the end is above the cat that will keep him from climbing higher. Cats are afraid to come down because they want to do it head first, and then their claws won't latch into the tree.

A friendly painter also may have scaffolding that will go high enough to reach him. The phone companies also have those people who can climb their poles. And rock climbers.

If you live in Washington state, there's a volunteer rescue group called Canopy Cat Rescue that will get him down.

Cherrybug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try this: Have someone bring a friendly "mama" cat in a carrier who might answer the kitten's cries & coax it down with kitty speak. Of course, don't let the adult cat out of the carrier. I hope this doesn't sound silly but I know it's worked for other species to help calm down one of their own.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are dealing with this. Could you try a animal charity like the rspca. If you explain your situation they might be able to talk the fire service around. Convince them this is a emergency. I hope your kitty is down on the ground soon.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps if you get enough of your neighbors to put in multiple calls, the FD may just come out. They do help in situations like this elsewhere. A tree trimmer company would be the next best option. Beyond that, look into any place that has a cherry picker and is kind enough to help.

Otherwise an extended ladder, another person to hold the ladder, and a vented backpack is needed to put the cat in temporary. It could be dangerous, especially if the cat is stuck high enough from the ground and you are not use to ladders, or struggle to get the cat in the bag. That's why a cherry picker is ideal for this rescue.

VanCatMa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat stuck in a tree before, but I am thankful for the great suggestions provided in this post, so I know who to call, should I ever have a cat stuck in a tree.

With the utmost respect to those who suggested calling a fire department to rescue a cat stuck in a tree, the fire department is NOT who to call if your cat is stuck in a tree. If the fire department responds to rescue your cat stuck in a tree, that is one less fire truck/rescue personnel available to respond to people in need, during an emergency.

I truly hope the little cat was able to be rescued from the tree, and he returns home with his family, where he belongs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 I’m so sorry you’re going through this. I’m not sure who you could call, but I will certainly be thinking about it, as well as praying for you and kitten. Please, please keep us updated. :hugs: :redheartpump:

Thank you, BellaGooch BellaGooch . I think someone was listening to your prayers and I am happy to report that baby cat came down from the tree last night on his own. It must have been the tuna I set out for him. ;) He is healthy although still a bit subdued with me. I keep telling him that it wasn't my fault that he decided to go tree climbing. :)

Last edited: