Putting out the call to all kitty lovers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Any updates yet?
Yes, I am sorry catsknowme catsknowme that I didn't reach out to members on this site last night when the little flame-point stinker came down on his own, (actually it was early this morning). I set out tuna and some wet food for him and placed two flashlights down at the base of the tree. About four in the morning I heard him meowing at my front door. Thank you so much for your concern and interest in his safety. :)

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You are in our thoughts.

Well those thoughts along with my friend, BellaGoocha's prayers, must have done the trick. He came down that tree like a little pro at about four this morning. (The tuna didn't hurt matters either). Thank you, my friend for sending good vibes our way.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps if you get enough of your neighbors to put in multiple calls, the FD may just come out. They do help in situations like this elsewhere. A tree trimmer company would be the next best option. Beyond that, look into any place that has a cherry picker and is kind enough to help.

Otherwise an extended ladder, another person to hold the ladder, and a vented backpack is needed to put the cat in temporary. It could be dangerous, especially if the cat is stuck high enough from the ground and you are not use to ladders, or struggle to get the cat in the bag. That's why a cherry picker is ideal for this rescue.
Thank you, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose ! Early this morning he put on his big boy pants and came down the tree on his own. He is kinda of subdued now and doesn't want a whole lot of petting, I'm just glad that he is safe. Thank you for your suggestions. A neighbor of mine was actually getting ready to call a tree trimmer and pay out of his own pocket just to get the little stinker down.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 - How's it going? Is the cat safe yet?

DreamerRose DreamerRose I am happy to report that he came down on his own early this morning! He had spent a total of six nights in that tree. My neighbors were so supportive and one was planing to call a tree trimmer himself to get the little guy down.

I am so grateful for your thoughts and interest in this little feline. What a wonderful group of people you all are on this site.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Call them regardless. I would think that they are in contact with other rescuers across the country. It's worth asking!

Update: He took matters into his own paws and came down that tree like the big boy he is. :) The tuna I set out for him probably helped as well. I now know who to call if this should ever happen again thanks to my friends on this site. Thank you so much, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 for letting me know about cat rescues in this country and also for caring about the little guy's welfare. He has a friends on this site and I told him as much this morning.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a cat stuck in a tree before, but I am thankful for the great suggestions provided in this post, so I know who to call, should I ever have a cat stuck in a tree.

With the utmost respect to those who suggested calling a fire department to rescue a cat stuck in a tree, the fire department is NOT who to call if your cat is stuck in a tree. If the fire department responds to rescue your cat stuck in a tree, that is one less fire truck/rescue personnel available to respond to people in need, during an emergency.

I truly hope the little cat was able to be rescued from the tree, and he returns home with his family, where he belongs.

He has decided to come down on his own, VanCatMa VanCatMa - around four this morning! I am so relieved and I know you all must be as well. Yes, the fire department said they use to but not anymore. I am glad they expanded on that because I was beginning to think they rescued cats only in the movies. Thank you so much for your interest. He is not having much to do with me as of yet but I know he will come around.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
A local fire department, utility company- they have bucket trucks for working on power lines- or a tree service like Davey or Asplundh may be necessary if the cat is that high up and hasn't come down yet.

One of my neighbors was getting ready to do just that today, was even going to pay for it himself. He couldn't stand the thought of that kitten stuck up in the tree for one more night. I was planing on doing the same thing. Much to our delight kitty decided early this morning to come down on his own. I don't know how he did it because I didn't witness it, only knew he was meowing at my front door at four a.m. Thank you for your suggestions and interest.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Try this: Have someone bring a friendly "mama" cat in a carrier who might answer the kitten's cries & coax it down with kitty speak. Of course, don't let the adult cat out of the carrier. I hope this doesn't sound silly but I know it's worked for other species to help calm down one of their own.

Not silly at all- who knows what will work in a situation like this? I am ready to try anything. Fortunately little baby came down on his own early this morning. But I was actually wishing that his mother cat was with me so she could actually coax him down, maybe even go up the tree and get him, I have seen one do that when her kitten was caught up on a slide. Thank you, Cherrybug Cherrybug for your thoughtful suggestion, much appreciated.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thank goodness! I will spread the news because a lot of people had posted to me about your baby. We are all very glad he decided to “put his big boy pants on!” :clap2: :banana2::woo::clapcat::lovecat2::happycat:Thank you for letting us know so we can all rest easy again.:hugs: Oh, give that neighbor our thanks too! Great human!
Thank you, Jcatbird Jcatbird You are no stranger to cats, I think you might have met a couple in your time. ;)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
So glad he's got himself down. Brilliant news. When you've finished making a fuss of him I think you should have words with him about the worry he caused with his climbing. ;) Give him a extra cuddle from me.

Thank you, Tik cat's mum Tik cat's mum ! Yes, I made him sit in the corner and think about what he has put us all through.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Jcatbird Jcatbird You are no stranger to cats, I think you might have met a couple in your time. ;)
No stranger to cats or to worry. I breathed a sigh of relief when you posted. I also laughed when you said you made him sit in a corner and think about what he put us all through. I bet he won’t do that again! Poor little guy! I bet he can feel my hugs from here!

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Whenallhellbreakslose Whenallhellbreakslose ! Early this morning he put on his big boy pants and came down the tree on his own. He is kinda of subdued now and doesn't want a whole lot of petting, I'm just glad that he is safe. Thank you for your suggestions. A neighbor of mine was actually getting ready to call a tree trimmer and pay out of his own pocket just to get the little stinker down.
I am so happy that he finally came down. Yes! 👏 Did you hear about the cat who lived in the tree for many years? I think it was on Animal Planet years ago. The cat only came down temporary to eat food and then go right back up. The residents built him a treehouse and gave him a feline friend, so he wouldn't be so lonely. Apparently, there are other "tree cats" out there. Here is a video of one in Texas who has been living in tree for 2 years. Pretty Amazing! 🙂

P.S. That is a great neighbor you have. Class act all the way! You are so lucky to have a neighbor like this. What a blessing! 😊

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Was about to do just that. A cat loving neighbor was also going to call the tree trimming Calvary as well. No need as baby cat took matters into his own paws and found his way down. (He was beyond forty feet off of the ground.)
He got down, ate the tuna I left at the base of the tree and then he came aknocking at my front door. Thank you, klunick klunick .

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so happy that he finally came down. Yes! 👏 Did you hear about the cat who lived in the tree for many years? I think it was on Animal Planet years ago. The cat only came down temporary to eat food and then go right back up. The residents built him a treehouse and gave him a feline friend, so he wouldn't be so lonely. Apparently, there are other "tree cats" out there. Here is a video of one in Texas who has been living in tree for 2 years. Pretty Amazing! 🙂

P.S. That is a great neighbor you have. Class act all the way! You are so lucky to have a neighbor like this. What a blessing! 😊

That is different- I thought only Leopards lived in trees- didn't know that some little ones did as well. (They can always climb up in a tree, it is the coming down that floors them.) That was so nice that the residents gathered around and protected him. There are some truly wonderful people in the world. I found them on this site and in my neighborhood last week. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you, tabbytom tabbytom . This experience has taught me the value of reaching out to members on this site, not to mention the goodness of everyday people. I forget that sometimes.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

Yep, glad that you remembered and reached out here and as members here are very helpful and many have lots of experience on the topic of cats and are not selfish in their sharing and thus have helped many members that needed help. And of course, there are nice everyday people around us and and sometimes, all we need to do is ask.

Glad all things turn out well for the kitty.