Putting his food in his water bowl....

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've got an almost one year old mainecoon mix. Hes a 10 but he wont stop putting his food in his water bowls.

I'm just wondering why.
Wet food, dry food, treats- it all goes in the water dish (especially right after I deep clean his food mat)

He immediately tries to fish it out and eat it so I don't think hes trying to save it for later. And he does this with his wet food as well so its not that he prefers it softer.

I know theres a simple fix to this problem but I've got to wonder what hes trying to do?
He picks up paws full of wet food and plops it into his water bowl at every meal 😅
I had to leave a note above his food mat that he gets fresh water twice a day because there's people viewing our apartment and I don't want them to think hes forced to drink dirty water lol

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is this a cat who is fed and given water outdoors? Could he be trying to kill any bugs that get into this food bowls? I know it sounds like a crazy question, but since you mentioned people viewing your apartment, I thought it might be the case. If so, you can keep bugs out of the food dishes by placing them inside a low sided pan filled with water - think cookie sheet. The water in the pan acts as a moat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
Is this a cat who is fed and given water outdoors? Could he be trying to kill any bugs that get into this food bowls? I know it sounds like a crazy question, but since you mentioned people viewing your apartment, I thought it might be the case. If so, you can keep bugs out of the food dishes by placing them inside a low sided pan filled with water - think cookie sheet. The water in the pan acts as a moat.
Hes strickly indoors but he was taken from my parents yard at 4 months old :( someone straight up left him there since he was very well groomed with absolutely no issues.. They found him at around 2 months before telling me about him since it was getting colder outside. I don't know what horrors he faced out there in those two months but maybe he has memories of bugs on his food x.x Luckily there are no bugs in my apartment (i would also start acting crazy) but hes still doing it but I suppose he could remember :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know that is the answer since his food is indoors - I only mentioned it because you felt the need to let other people know his water isn't dirty. I was not able to figure out how other people would know about that unless the food/water was outside. Nonetheless, it could be a pattern of something he picked up from his time outside, even if it wasn't involving bugs.

Maybe he was doing something similar outside to 'save' his food and that part is still ingrained in him despite the fact that he knows he can go ahead and eat it now?!?!

Perhaps, you can try setting a second water dish nearby and see what happens. I have heard, but never have seen it in any of my cats, that the water should be placed a bit away from the food rather than them being next to each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayzieka

Ziggy & Zim
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know that is the answer since his food is indoors - I only mentioned it because you felt the need to let other people know his water isn't dirty. I was not able to figure out how other people would know about that unless the food/water was outside. Nonetheless, it could be a pattern of something he picked up from his time outside, even if it wasn't involving bugs.

Maybe he was doing something similar outside to 'save' his food and that part is still ingrained in him despite the fact that he knows he can go ahead and eat it now?!?!

Perhaps, you can try setting a second water dish nearby and see what happens. I have heard, but never have seen it in any of my cats, that the water should be placed a bit away from the food rather than them being next to each other.
Oh! I thought they would think his water is dirty because its filled with food floating around in it XD (LOTS OF FOOD) I replace it at every meal and he has a separate bowl farther away but sometimes he drags his food into that one too...

I could put a bowl in another room but he carries his treats around so would probably still put them in but it would definitely help lol

He does try to burry his food with air for about 10 minutes before he starts eating..
I wont think too hard about the logic of burying your food before you eat it but i suppose he could be trying to save it.. to eat 5 seconds later XD maybe he just enjoys watching me clean his water dishes.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I can contribute, which is probably unhelpful, is that, after owning my first cat ever for about 8 years, I've found their memory to be FOREVER.

Willy saw a squirrel out the window 5 years ago in one specific location, and to this day, always looks there FIRST every time he goes to the window. Even if nothing is there.

Sadly, a neighbor's cat died, and the two were friends. We live in an apartment building and used to let our cats out in the hallway and they would bond. Whenever Willy goes out in the hallway (he usually does whenever I open the door, because the hallway is a normally inaccessible part of his environment), the first place he looks is where the other cat would have been. It makes me sad every time.

Anyway, I agree with a previous comment that maybe your cat had a specific experience that led to starting this behavior, and it might just last forever now... cats are weird (but smart and wonderful) animals.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who really knows what goes on in a cat's mind?! They can have some quirks that are completely unexplainable. But that is what makes them so unique!

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who really knows what goes on in a cat's mind?! They can have some quirks that are completely unexplainable. But that is what makes them so unique!
Yes... When I was growing up, my family were exclusively dog owners my whole life, and my cat I own now was my first cat. But I've also since been exposed to other cats as well.

Dogs seem far more predictable. Which makes sense, given their pack mentality vs. cats being solitary hunters. I love them both. But cats are more unique individually.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Playing in water, tipping water and dropping toys in water, I have seen before, but never had one drop their food in their water. Very unique behavior . I guess I would try moving his water bowl to a different, distant location. Most cats actually prefer this and it might stop him messing. And I would also try adding water to his wet food so he has to lap it.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And I would also try adding water to his wet food so he has to lap it.
Right, the only thing I could think of was he wanted his food moist. Coons are crazy about water though. I’m sure that is quite the mess to clean however. Occasionally my cat will become obsessed with water and smack her bowl to make the water spill. She would do this over and over, until finally, I just scooped her up and put her in the tub with a big bowl of water. Let her play and get it out of her system.