Putting Cats Away At Night.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kaia and Binx are both right around 18 months old now. Ever since we got them, we have put them in the laundry room at night. I would love them out at night, but my husband doesn’t feel the same....so we compromise. They know the routine and are following me around by 8:30pm waiting for me to get their last dinner and put them in their room.

Neither cat is overly affectionate. Kaia just wants to be outside 24/7, and while she will let you carry her around and purr up a storm, she has never sat on our laps and doesn’t even nap near us (always chooses one of the kids beds to nap on). Binx is affectionate at times, will sit with me for 5 min max but that’s it, never naps beside me and has his favourite spots to be.

I’m wondering if locking them away at night has made them less affectionate towards us? We had never locked any of our previous cats away at night so I have nothing to compare to. Maybe it is just the way these two are?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens sleep piled up with their siblings and even as they grow they like to sleep with people or cats. I do believe that this strengthens their bond. All but one of my cats was allowed free rein at night. The one kitten that wasn’t grew up to be a very remote cat who allowed petting but no lap time. So in my experience being locked away didn’t help them them become people cuddlers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured this probably had something to do with it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes, not always, multiple cats that grow up together might be a bit closer to each other than to their humans. But, I also think cats can pick up on how people react to them as well. How is your husband with them, in general? If he doesn't spend much time interacting with them, that could attribute to their overall 'aloofness'.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are free in the house at night. They usually go to bed about 11 p.m. If I go to bed also, they will follow me and sleep with me, which I love. But if I stay up reading, they find their own spots to spend the night and sleep there.

Mingo was not a cuddlebug for a couple of years, and then I got Lily, who naturally was. He observed her behavior, and soon began sleeping with me and climbing into my lap, which he had never done before. I think they just don't know to do that unless they see another cat doing it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Twice in my life I have had to keep kittens in a large bathroom for an extended period of time. They had ample room, food was not near the litter, visited several times a day. Of all those kittens, only one ever became affectionate, so there must be something to that. I have never felt bad about it because it was nice bathroom or dead in the street, but it did seem to alter their outlook.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my mom has a cat that was always put in the laundry room at night time. Now he asks to go downstairs when he is tired. Mom always gives him a good night treat and now it is a regular routine for him. He is a really sweet boy and loves my mom. In saying that, I believe that the more time you have with them only helps build a stronger bond, but if they don't let you sleep, sometimes it is your only option

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They are both just a year and a half. I think I will start leaving them out at night and see what happens. I doubt they will sleep with us as my husband will likely push them off the bed, but I can definitely see them sleeping with one of my girls, or even on the bed with our dog (dog loves them, they love the dog!).

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 3 year old cat has to be quarantined for Ringworm in my spare bedroom for the first 3 months we had him and I'm pretty convinced that's why he won't sleep with us.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat Maggie is emotional. You can tell when she's upset about something. Locking her up would not be a good idea since she likes to play at night. I do sometimes lock her out of my bedroom for 30 minutes. She bothers my cat Peaches at night. Even while Peaches is sleeping.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bourbon was not an affectionate cat when i first took her in. Until now she is a grumpy lady at most times. :)

However, from the beginning I encouraged her to sleep with me in bed. She usually sleeps just above my head, occupying where my pillow should be. It took months, but now we share this very deep bond. I cannot sleep without her with me, and if I go up late at night watching TV she'd fetch me in the living room and tries to coax me to bed. I am the only one who can cuddle her and kiss her. She is not that close to my husband. She does not allow anyone else to pick her up, just me. So I also believe sleeping with your cat will strengthen your bond.