Putting a collar on my cat

sasha.mccartney2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning fellow cat-enthusiasts!

I'd like to hear your opinion on putting a collar on a cat.

My cat Haku is an indoor cat, he is chipped but I still put on a collar on him, i guess it's more for the human's eye than for him. He doesn't seem to mind at all, putting it on was no problem and he didn't try to take it off whatsoever. When I registered his chip i got a small badge saying he's registered and his registration number, there is no personal information from me on it, nor a bell or something similar noisy and annoying, but if he'd get lost they'd see the badge and know where he's registered so they can contact those people who can contact me.

But I guess those are just excuses, since if a vet or shelter would scan his chip it'd give the the exact same information, the question is just if a potential finder would bring him to the vet and not just keep him for themselves. But as long as he stays indoors, which is the plan, the collar is purely for the human's eye. I might take it off again.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are people out there who would take in a cat they find on the street and not bother to have a vet check for a microchip. Kind of "finders keepers". So a collar with ID tags is a visual indicator that the cat is owned by someone.

My cats are indoors only and are microchipped and wear collars with ID tags. Some TCS members do not put collars on their indoor-only micropchipped cats. I guess it's preference and how comfortable you are if the cat somehow gets outside and if someone finds the cat and takes it home instead of to a vet or shelter to be checked for a microchip.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree a collar is just one more assurance that you will be contacted. Cats get out, period. Most people will start to feed a stray cat showing up, but never think of taking a cat to a vet to see if they are chipped. A collar would get them to look closer.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
At Petco you can have a tag made with your first name and phone number and vet info on the other side. My cats have no desire to go outside. If something or someone scares them they hide. Still, it would be a good idea especially with a black cat. If Maggie were to somehow get out and I cant find her, I have clicker trained her to come when called. Immediately pops out! Annually the vet checks that the micro is still working

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! On the other side of the spectrum, any collar used on a cat should be a break away type to prevent choking/asphyxiation should they get outside and get the collar caught on something. Should that be the case, the collar will break and then becomes pretty useless as a source of identification for lost cats.

bella.cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, if your cats get out, a collar would be great for identifying them.
Sometimes collars can get caught on things, but I doubt there is anything too dangerous inside your house, and you should use break-away type of collars anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sasha.mccartney2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your interesting answers. As far as I'm concerned in german pet stores you only get those break-away collars for cats. I'm gonna watch him but so far he doesn't mind at all about the collar so I guess he's fine.

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like having a collar on my cat. It gives me piece of mind knowing that if he were to get out, people would a) know he's not a stray and b) people who might not bother to take a cat in to get scanned, might be willing to call my number which is on his ID tag. Also, in my city it's technically required that cats wear their city license tag and rabies tag anyway. His collar is that breakaway type.

Sammygirl95

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally think collars are a good thing just in case your cat gets out. Anytime I find a stray animal the first thing I look for is a collar with information on it. Personally, my cats don’t wear collars only because they know how to take off the breakaway collars and I don’t feel comfortable with any other type of collar.

HPeters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your collar should be break away, if its not and the cat gets out, it runs the risk of getting caught on something and choke itself.
I have also heard stories of the pet tags getting caught in small spaces ( the space between deck boards or in a floor vent) so I would recommend a plate tag similar to this. Ultimately if someone wants to keep a cat, theyre probably going to overlook any identification anyways.

Attachments

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like those plates. I put a hanging tag on Delilah and she's so small that the tag interfered with her eating.

She is fine with her collar. Plus I need the bell.

jeannem

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will try putting a break a way collar on Suki when she gets more used to us. Otherwise I will try a harness for her tags. It just day 2 so their is plenty of time.
j

Father of furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Shade hates his collar and will break them off every chance he gets. He has learned to put a paw under his and push till it breaks. The longest a collar has lasted is 2 days. Noka on the other hand has no problem with a collar and has kept hers on.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put a collar on Delilah before I even let her loose in the apartment. The bell is a sanity saver for me. And I only had her 2 days when I got it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like someone posted: not everyone checks your cat for school.

Next up: chips move! I had the vet check all 3 “kitten’s” chips during their 18 month old annual visit/vaccines.

A collar in my experience doesn’t bug your cat. Like someone posted you can buy collars with your pet’s info embroidered on it.

Your cat’s fur will part over time showing a collar mark; even if your pet’s collar comes off.

Break away collars are safe.

⭐I freely admit that Jackie wears bow ties because I think they are cute. However since he seems to dislike wearing them I take the bow off and only make him wear it every once in awhile. I’m willing to bribe him for the cuteness!
28CBDF96-7667-4E9C-A485-5B4747885908.jpeg

Floyd and hendrix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
with perseverence and patience i believe its good to get all your cats used to all types of collars and harnesses for different purposes. microchipping and registration should be done always regardless indoor or outdoor
my cats are allowed to be 'naked' when indoors (as all my other full time collar wearing cats eventually balded at collar site and if im not home, i feel its safer),unless im doing something like going in and out a lot and one of them might door dash, ill put their collars on
i use a very light, loose elasticised, buckle collar for initial collar and lead training
breakaway collar with bell for outdoors and lead walking
harnesses when going in the car or for walks in different locations
all collars with id plate rather than tag (is lighter, can't get caught on things and doesnt 'tinckle' in food and water bowl)

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are indoor only. they are chipped but wear no collar. Even the break away ones can fail to break away (it's rare).

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a harness is more uncomfortable then a collar. I don’t make Jackie wear tags though! (& definitely not a bell!!! Cats have to good of hearing to do that to them!) After all I am bribing Jackie to ‘come her to this spot and eat some cookies while I put on/take off your harness.’ I just clip his collar on/off and Give him a pet or 20. I would attach the tags to his leash before I attached them to his harness. Then again I just ordered a surgical onsie for my escape artist! I’m not sure if he will wear it with his harness or instead but enough with the escaping!!!
⭐Jackie goes into his carry bag/cat purse to go into the car. I bought it to take him to the vet since he is happiest in my arms.