Put It Off Long Enough

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been retired from breeding for several years now, but held off on spaying Camie since I always held out the hope I would be able to breed her someday. Today I finally realized that it is over - the official end of Posiepurrs Persians so I made an appointment to have her spayed. I'm not happy but it is the right thing to do. She will be spayed Sept 27. Here is my baby.
IMG_1094.JPG

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs - That's just about two years exactly after she Granded, so she's just turned five then, yes? I don't get to the shows these days, but I remember her so vividly, and I feel a little sad that others won't have the opportunity to see her now.

For those who never had the chance, Camellia is one of the most beautiful Shaded Silvers ever to grace a show - and the CFA Judges all agreed. I've never seen clearer, more saturated eye colouration on any Persian; her irises have the sort of depth of colour usually associated only with Russian Blues and Egyptian Maus.

Thanks for sharing this, Lynda. I know that everyone here wishes Camie a quick recovery, and a long and enjoyable retirement. What an incredibly beautiful girl she is!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I will show her in premiership and will see how she does. Premiership is said to be tough to show in this year. It is a difficult thing for me to admit that I will never have kittens in the house again and that I will never see Camies beautiful babies. I briefly considered doing foster care, but my husband gets so attached I am afraid that would not work. He is the reason we kept several of the pet kittens that have been born here - he just refused to let them go.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my husband really threw me a curve ball last night. He was the one who encouraged me to stop breeding due to our age (60s). Last night he told me to start looking for an adult male to breed Camie to! He said he realized just how much I loved breeding and showing and didn't want me not to be able to do it. While I desperately want to breed her, I am thinking I may go ahead with the spay. I have to weigh out the pros and cons of it all first.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my husband really threw me a curve ball last night. He was the one who encouraged me to stop breeding due to our age (60s). Last night he told me to start looking for an adult male to breed Camie to! He said he realized just how much I loved breeding and showing and didn't want me not to be able to do it. While I desperately want to breed her, I am thinking I may go ahead with the spay. I have to weigh out the pros and cons of it all first.

posiepurrs posiepurrs - Our sixties are a time for re-inventing, Lynda. I'm with your Husband on this (big surprise, right?) - once the shows get into your blood, it's pretty difficult to just walk away. Beyond that, the strides you've made in eye colour in shaded Silvers and Goldens shouldn't be taken lightly.

Camie is one of the most beautiful girls ever to grace the judge's stand, and the judges have always agreed. You've always been meticulous about genetics, and with Camie as Dam, I don't see why you and she (and your Husband) couldn't produce an NW.

If age really does play a factor, do what I do when I'm mowing half a dozen acres, trimming and edging the estate, weeding, mulching, snowblowing, and generally pretending I'm 30 - pretend you're thirty.

Good luck, no matter the decision you make!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs - Our sixties are a time for re-inventing, Lynda. I'm with your Husband on this (big surprise, right?) - once the shows get into your blood, it's pretty difficult to just walk away. Beyond that, the strides you've made in eye colour in shaded Silvers and Goldens shouldn't be taken lightly.

Camie is one of the most beautiful girls ever to grace the judge's stand, and the judges have always agreed. You've always been meticulous about genetics, and with Camie as Dam, I don't see why you and she (and your Husband) couldn't produce an NW.

If age really does play a factor, do what I do when I'm mowing half a dozen acres, trimming and edging the estate, weeding, mulching, snowblowing, and generally pretending I'm 30 - pretend you're thirty.

Good luck, no matter the decision you make!
Camie! :loveeyes:

She is so gorgeous. She has the most angelic little face. posiepurrs posiepurrs I agree with your hubby too. Just one litter. Her kittens would be stunning. I also agree with 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine - good luck with whatever you choose. Age is just a number. I am 47 in real life. In my head I am 25 and always will be. :woo:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a really gorgeous picture of Camie! So striking, yet it conveys her "sweetness" and a bit of fear..

I just wanted to comment on how beautiful she is...

Man, any offspring of hers would be so dramatic...and I hope, very sweet....If I were you, and decided to mate her, I would keep all her kids....:evilgrin:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is a really gorgeous picture of Camie! So striking, yet it conveys her "sweetness" and a bit of fear..

I just wanted to comment on how beautiful she is...

Man, any offspring of hers would be so dramatic...and I hope, very sweet....If I were you, and decided to mate her, I would keep all her kids....:evilgrin:
She really is beautiful. My DD was standing by me earlier and when she saw Camie's picture she immediately commented on how gorgeous she is. I don't think I'd be able to part with her kittens either. :loveeyes:

One of my favorite things about Persians is their ability to always look innocent even when they are guilty as sin. It's those big eyes. My Sophie is brilliant at this. :lol:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks goodness, I really didn't want to say a word against your decission, but It seems to be a sin to spay Camie without breeding her at least once. She is so wonderful that the world deserves some tiny Camies to share more beautyness –and to show other breeders what comes out of a good job.
Are you part of a mentor program? That way at least you can still have an impact on the improvement of the breed.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never really wanted to stop breeding but it was the best thing at the time though. Even if I do breed Camie, her chance of conceiving is greatly reduced due to her age (most Persians are bred in the first year or so). I have put out feelers with other breeders to see if anyone has a boy I can buy. I do belong to the Breed council which writes the breed standard and I try to unofficially help newbies.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like I am getting a male. Things just sort of fell into place. One of the breeders I reached out to told me of another breeder who had posted a proven male for sale ( she had to many, to closely related). I contacted her and we talked and plan on talking again tonight. He just turned 5 and while he is not the ideal cat I would choose, the situation isn't ideal either. Camies biological clock is ticking. I am not thrilled with his eye shape - not quite round, more teardrop in his photo. Eye color leaves a little to be desired, but that could also be my computer. His pedigree is wonderful. A friend of mine is judging at a show close to the breeder (who is going to be showing at the same show) in late October so she volunteered to bring him home. As soon as all the paperwork is done and it is official, I will post his photo, but for now you can check it out on her site: Cherrybirdie Cattery. He is on the available page - Jimmy Choo.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations, so happy for you! :clap:I peeked at the website and Jimmy Choo's pic. I'm sure he'll be a wonderful addition to your family. All the best, this is definitely exciting news.