Put Her Up For Adoption Again?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I rescued her a year ago. She is still afraid of my 2 cats and they do not accept her but tolerate. She will leave my bedroom on her own and jump on my couch. She no longer clings to me and is not territorial. Has never hissed or growled. I feel bad but I think she would be happier in a house with a kitten or a quit dog. Though maybe I'm reading her wrong. I forget to play with her since she is mostly in my bedroom I had blood work done on my cat Maggie who stopped playing. She is 100% healthy except some crystals probably from stress

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, it is very hard to adopt out adult cats (though not impossible). She seems fine. Not all kitties will become best friends. It is common for them to often just "tolerate" the other. I have two girls like that. She seems fine from what you describe.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I second sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws

I have a few Ferals recently moved to inside. The one, Mia - she's 5.5 years, barely leaves her safe room since June. It's tough as I really would like her to be happy and explore, but, I know it has to be on her time. My resident kitty, Charlie (6 years), is not too friendly with her at all - and that doesn't help.

What I've been doing with her (Mia) lately is slowly moving her food dish out of her safe room, literally 5 inches. It took a week before she showed any comfort level with that. This week I'll move it another inch or two. Eventually, my hope is that she will see it's safe everywhere and come out more on her own.

If you feed her in your room you could always try slowly moving the dish outside her comfort zone a touch at a time to help ease her more into the rest of the house since she's spending most of the time in your bedroom.

It's good that she at least comes on onto the couch and is less clingy. She sounds like a nervous kitty like Mia and needs to build some confidence.

Does she have higher places she can jump to and see the world? A window sill even?

Have you thought about trying the reintroduction process?

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I hope this helps.

Let us know how you're doing. :-)

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
She sounds to me like she is doing fine. Eating, using the litterbox, moving around your place, not hissing or growling or causing trouble with your other cats. That is a comfortable, good life for her. She would not be better elsewhere. She knows your place as home now, please don’t change that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. She eats with my cats but my cat Peaches chases her back to the bedroom after she eats. Coco is done first. Peaches is very protective of her food. Coco's mom never hissed or growled so its in her genes. She is a lot of fun til she sees my cats. Just started to get frustrated

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It took her 4 months to eat with my cats. I worry about my cat Maggie. She is sensitive. When Coco's in my living room,Maggie turns her head away when I try to scratch her behind her ears. She will not lick my hand. Maggie's fine otherwise

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Firstly - WOW cuteness all around. Thank you for posting those pictures! :-) Those kitties have it made! :-) Lucky kitties!

Coco is the one you are concerned with, yes?

After seeing those pictures I really have to agree with susanm9006 susanm9006 and sweetblackpaws sweetblackpaws she looks like she is doing pretty well. No need to rehome -she's at home for sure. I know how you feel though - with Mia not coming out of her safe room much I sometimes too get that twinge of "Maybe I'm not the best place for her. Maybe she'd be happier elsewhere." because we love them and want what's best for them and worry! She's home - she just needs a little more time and such. Some kitties, as we know, are slower than others... but she looks happy overall. :-)

Now I'm no expert - I'm still learning the ways of the cat, but, when I look at the picture of all three of them together, she looks nervous. She wants to participate but she's seeming to lack the confidence. Her tail is tucked in, back up like she's ready to take flight. Maybe because peaches chases her off?

Charlie chases Mia off too. I sit there and go *sigh* why kitty why!

The body language really does look like she is displaying uncertainty.

You mentioned too about the playing less because she stays in your bedroom a lot. I would suggest more play to build her confidence and with Peaches reaction perhaps a slow reintroduction while building up Coco's confidence would help the situation.

Last edited:

palikakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adopted Bradshaw at age 2 with his brother, we had 8 other cats. Bradshaw barely left our bedroom for 18 years. He lived for me coming home and getting into bed and loving on him. He had a clean bill of health from the vet and my husband called me at work and said something is wrong with Brad, he’s hiding in the cat box on the porch. He died on the way to the ER. Don’t worry, as long as she has a safe place she will be fine.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The pic with 3 cats is josie(Put down,almost 17),maggie,and peaches. Old picture,maybe 3 yrs old.. I have been spending more time with Maggie because of her acting upset sometimes.

susan denning

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm curious as to where you are with the crystals - If you feel those are under control, or if you feel that Maggie isn't coping at your home? Also, is it Maggie or Coco that is afraid of the other two cats?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got cat trees, up high places, toys, activities galore and I'm only a little jealous. Your cats are obviously taken care of past the point of most expectations.
I think you're doing fine, honestly.
A few of our girls are the same way. They tolerate one another but aren't best buds or anything, and everyone seems cool with this.
I wouldn't consider re homing yet!
My two Top Girls, Queen Bee and Baby Girl don't love one another. But they let the other have some oxygen. If they cross paths, there's a bit of hissing, slapping and annoyed noises from both but there has never been bloodshed or a hair out of place.
I honestly think these two just like to bitch.

If she hisses at the others, how do they react? Do they gang up on her, or just walk off like "whatever" and ignore her?
As stupid as this sounds, if they ALL like chase/kill games with something like a wand or a feather on a stick, this has helped us a lot in creating a cooperative kill mode. We let them chase the thing, attack the thing, corner the thing, and learn to work as their own little pack or tribe or whatever. (Initially there was some complaining, but it didn't last.)
We'd play this game, end it with them wanting more, then feed them in the same room.
They'll never be best buds, but there's no real fighting...just complaining sometimes! (We ignore it, or don't react. If they want to bicker, fine. Since there's never been any serious posturing, screaming, fighting or puncture wounds, we're good.)

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sometimes my 18 pound girl will chase my 15 pounder at mealtime, and they have lived together for years. I know it is frustrating, and I know you are worried about Maggie. But you are doing everything right - your place is AWESOME. I truly think it's going to be alright. I am glad you are spending more time with Maggie, this will help, I would think.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok. She eats with my cats but my cat Peaches chases her back to the bedroom after she eats. Coco is done first. Peaches is very protective of her food. Coco's mom never hissed or growled so its in her genes. She is a lot of fun til she sees my cats. Just started to get frustrated
'
look up on amazon surefeed microchip pet feeder. it is costly but i have one for each of my cats. i put their wet food inside and let them eat at their own pace. it is not kept cold, but since it closes, the food stays fresh for a few hours.

i have a slow and fast eater. i have no issues with their meal times.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
It would help if coco stood up for herself. Does not hiss,growl,or stand on her haunches I explained to my vet what my cat Peaches is like. He said oh, she's a bitch!. After eating she chases coco back in my bedroom. Maggie would play with coco but every time she tries, coco runs away. Because she remembers Maggie once being aggressive to her. I have 6 wand toys

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
'
look up on amazon surefeed microchip pet feeder. it is costly but i have one for each of my cats. i put their wet food inside and let them eat at their own pace. it is not kept cold, but since it closes, the food stays fresh for a few hours.

i have a slow and fast eater. i have no issues with their meal times.
That is a good idea! I would use it on Peaches. Maggie eats slow and knows when to stop. She gets the fat and protein she needs then leaves her bowl even when her bowl is not empty.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm curious as to where you are with the crystals - If you feel those are under control, or if you feel that Maggie isn't coping at your home? Also, is it Maggie or Coco that is afraid of the other two cats?
Coco is afraid of the other 2 cats. Maggie seems depressed sometimes. Because of coco or simply that coco won't play with her

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, some are timid that way, and some will always be dominated. But it doesn't mean they can't live harmoniously in time. What's going on with Maggie's crystals?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet thinks it's from stress but to keep an eye on it. Very small amoun

Last edited:

rawlins02

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It would help if coco stood up for herself. Does not hiss,growl,or stand on her haunches I explained to my vet what my cat Peaches is like. He said oh, she's a bitch!. After eating she chases coco back in my bedroom. Maggie would play with coco but every time she tries, coco runs away. Because she remembers Maggie once being aggressive to her. I have 6 wand toys
Sounds like Peaches needs a few time outs.