Resolved Push Notifications??

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... What exactly does this statement mean, as well: "Enabling push notifications requires a supported device. Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications." It is noted right underneath the Enable Push Notification 'box' in Preferences.
I think with xenforo, push notifications aren't supported by safari on mac OS nor on any iOS-based browser. I got this from reading bits and pieces of the relevant thread at xenforo's community threads area:

For example, with my mac, I get a box with a gray background on my preferences page which indicates that 'push notifications [are] not supported' for me (which makes me super happy as I don't want them and I don't use mobile devices).
See:

Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 8.58.53 AM.png

All push notification boxes were toggled 'on' as a default, so I'll probably untoggle them, what the heck (even though my browser doesn't support them and it wouldn't matter what I do on this preferences page for them).

If you do have a browser/device that allows for push notifications and you don't want them, my guess is to address that on your own Preferences page. The pop-up box 'never ask again' on the log-in page is probably Cookie-derived, so if the Cookie isn't saved, it may keep popping up?

FeebysOwner FeebysOwner , I'm just pitching in because you ask about that particular statement you saw (where I quoted you, above), and I can give a visual example because I don't have a supported device.
:hugs:

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just in case it helps any - I went into Preferences, unchecked each and every box under the individual options for receiving Alerts/Push Notifications, and then checked some of them just as a test, and saved the changes. I logged out, closed/re-opened browser, and then logged back into this site.

The enable push notification banner/request is at the bottom of the screen again. Then, I checked Preferences, all the changes I had previously made are intact.

EDIT: Went back to Preferences and checked the overall "Enable Push Notifications" and still left some of the options I had selected previously stay checked. Logged out and back in again, and now the push notification banner/request did NOT appear.

From this it would seem that you have to Enable Push Notifications under Preferences, and select certain options for the ones you want to receive, and that will stop the banner/request at the next log in. I am going to try one more test...

EDIT 2: I unchecked ALL individual push notification options, but left Enable Push Notifications checked. Logged out/in, and received the enable push notification banner/request again. Checked Preferences and the Enable Push Notification was unchecked.

So, at least in my case, to stop the banner/request, you have to check/pick AT LEAST one individual push notification option in addition to checking the overall Enable Push Notification box.

It would appear that you will only stop the banner/request if you either never log out of the site, or select at least one push notification option.

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you try untoggling everything to do with push notifications, and save changes? Is it that you don't want push notifications, or that you just don't want the pop-up on the log-in page?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not sure what I want tbh. I just think that if there is an option to never be asked again about push notifications, it ought to work.

Goes back to what I said yesterday: each time you log out of the site it disables the Push Notifications and the next time you log on to the site the 'enable push notification' banner/request will appear again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still get the same 'enable notice' when logging on each time. I think that seems to be what is expected given the statement in 'Preferences'.
"Enabling push notifications will enable them for this device only. If you log out of this device, you will need to re-enable push notifications."

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry about the confusion!
Push notifications ... is now commonly used in websites that serve dynamic content. It's simply a way to get your notifications even when you're not actively browsing the site....

They are useful for people who want to make sure they get an immediate alert for content that they follow - where [they] want to see any responses as they come in. Otherwise ... decline them.

Email notifications are unaffected by this, so feel free to say no and forget about that.
You ought to provide this information -or at least a link to it- with the message that automatically pops up. Ideally, we also ought to be able to disable it permanently. (I also had NO clue what it was & not about to allow it for that reason.)

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You ought to provide this information -or at least a link to it- with the message that automatically pops up. Ideally, we also ought to be able to disable it permanently. (I also had NO clue what it was & not about to allow it for that reason.)
I'm sorry but there's no way for us to explain all of that in the note. Push notifications have been around the web since 2009 and most users are familiar with them. This is not advertising and merely a site feature, it's just how the platform works. We have the site help section here for people who need help with deactivating the feature.

You certainly do not have to enable it. Just like you don't have to get notification emails. These are optional features for users. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.