Purina pro

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is Purina pro healthy cat food. I don't get how friskies is an unhealthy cat food when friskies is also made by Purina and claimed to be healthy by them or does Purina pro contain bad additives also? I switched from friskies to Purina pro. I think he likes it more. I tried smalls a little bit with a free sample pack but he acted like it was poison no matter how little I mixed in his food he wouldn't eat it. Tasted it first time and that was it. I couldn't afford that anyway. Purina pro is more affordable for me but still pretty expensive. More than double friskies. I'm talking wet food btw. I feed some dry food to. Friskies and Purina pro mixed until friskies is gone

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had any problems feeding it to the cats, and you are talking a lot of years. But they get grain-free Tractor Supply food now, I can't afford the other. I also leave some grain free dry out too. You feed what you can afford. I had cats for many years on cheap dry and they did fine, but most were supplemented with what they caught. to me Friskies is good canned food, and the most affordable. My outside cats get that twice a day, hard the rest of the time, and of course a lot of mice. It's funny though, they will only eat shredded turkey and cheese (it HAS to have the cheese,) or they leave it on the plate, even outside cats get picky. One thing that is NOT picky is raccoons!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI - Purina Pro has a couple things in it that aren't great (soy flour and corn starch) and I personally don't like that they use a synthetic vitamin K but that's my own preference. Otherwise it's not a bad choice, as it doesn't have some things such as carrageenan :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
To me, it's hard to say one way or the other unless you compare a specific food, like Pro Plan Chicken and Rich in Gravy with a comparible Friskies. Overall though, I'd probably say Pro Pro is a little better ingredient wise, which isn't to say that your cat can't live a long time eating Friskies. Generally pates have less"bad" ingredients than gravy foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wish my cat would eat pate. I've been getting the entrees of whitefish and tuna, chicken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nlkiser198343

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I'm gonna try hills science next. I'm tempted to get a 15 pound bag of dry food for 45% off. I'd hate to see him not eat it tho

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Commercial cat foods have helped to extend the lives of our cats. Most brands make a variety of foods at different price points to keep pace with the competition, using various qualities of ingredients.

What's in My Cat's Food?: Designer Diets, Grain Free Diets | VCA Canada Animal Hospitals

Purina finishes a longitudinal study in the last few years and adjusted their formulas to match creating pro plan. Though the exact formulas test I believe were the Prime Plus.
9-Year Longevity Study in Cats | Purina Institute

Personally, I also recommend pro plan. My cats coats now are just as soft as my late cats' coats were on more expensive brands. The expensive brands didn't stop my cats from getting sick and in one case contributed to illness. I only avoid Friskies as I've been told by two vets that it has been known to exasperate underlying conditions due to sodium content. I did not ask the vets for further details.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only avoid Friskies as I've been told by two vets that it has been known to exasperate underlying conditions due to sodium content.
Interesting point, and to add to that there have been a number of members including my angel Poppycat who began throwing up from Friskies, so I gave up and just stopped feeding it at all.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Interesting point, and to add to that there have been a number of members including my angel Poppycat who began throwing up from Friskies, so I gave up and just stopped feeding it at all.
Lily got sick on it, and my friend's cat got sick on it too.