Purina Pro, Science Hill’s Diet, or Royal Canin for dry?

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! My 4 yr old DSH girl eats a combination of wet and dry food. For wet, she gets a variety that mostly consists of Tiki Cat.

But for dry, she initially came to me having been eating PureVita Chicken and Pea. Her vet, however, recommended she not eat grain-free, so I transitioned her to Purina Pro Essentials Chicken and Rice. I feel overwhelmed, though, by choosing the best food for her when so many beloved foods seem to be grain-free. Has anyone had success with a “vet-approved” dry food type? I am worried about the one she is on now being too calorically dense, but I’m not sure which brands or varieties may be potentially better.

She is 9 lbs and the vet would like her closer to 8.2 as well!

Photo for fun <3

Attachments

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with Purina Pro, but I've had cats on both Science Diet and Royal Canin. I've had good experiences with both, but in my experience, my cats have preferred Royal Canin. I actually ended up having to donate the Science Diet K/D I bought for my last cat because he wouldn't touch it after tasting the Royal Canin renal support.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadybugsMama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't have any experience with Purina Pro, but I've had cats on both Science Diet and Royal Canin. I've had good experiences with both, but in my experience, my cats have preferred Royal Canin. I actually ended up having to donate the Science Diet K/D I bought for my last cat because he wouldn't touch it after tasting the Royal Canin renal support.
Thanks so much for your input! Which Royal Canin lines have you tried? Or has it just been the renal support? :)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To be honest, I don't think if weight loss is the goal feeding dry will help.

I heard about RC calm cat food and was considering it as a treat while I am away for my boys.
In reading the ingredients I had to decline. It sounds horrible for cats: wheat, wheat gluten, rice, beet pulp and corn and more that are not species appropriate.
I know dry food needs plants for some sort as a binder but I do not think Royal Canin is very good quality, as plants make up the majority of the dry food. Not a good diet for a meat eating animal. No wonder so many cats become obese and get diabetes.
I would try freeze dried raw instead of dry or heavily limit the dry. If you must feed dry, look for more animal proteins in the dry. I don't think Royal Canin, Hills or Purina are very good quality in terms of pet food, just big marketing budgets and tug your heart strings advertisements.

GuyandCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Flybynight 100%... So does my Vet. My vet does not recommend any of those brands. Hence why you will never see Hills or Canin in his office. Can someone plz tell me why these 2 brands are recommended by so so many vets. Look at the ingredients, in my opinion they are horrible... I understand some people can't buy really expensive feline appropriate food, but Royal and Hills is not cheap. I think there are way better options but that is only my opinion. Orijen cat kibble is one of the few kibbles that looked decent to me .Orijen compared to Canin or Hills is like night and day for me .. I have no idea if this is true or not I am just going by the Ingredients. Is there someone on this site that can compare the 3 brands and go by each Ingredient one by one and explain to some of us NEW cat owners who are 100% confused as to what constitutes a good or bad choice..
Or a article on this even would be great.
Good luck with your food Choice and beautiful Cat ya got. Peace :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why does your vet recommend against grain free foods? It is known that grain free diets can cause heart issues in specific dog breeds but it does not apply to cats. There has been discussions on this topic here on TCS.