Purina Pro Plan Dry Food

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there any problem with feeding an adult cat the Purina Pro Plan sensitive stomach, or hairball management if there isn't necessarily a problem with those things? I just want to give Lulu some variety for dry food. I see all kinds of different dry foods in that line.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
sensitive stomach, or hairball management if there isn't necessarily a problem with those things?
I don't think this is a problem, but you can check the ingredients and compare with other brands and see what you think.
I agree with you, I like using several brands for variety, since different brands use different ingredients and also have different ratios of protein, carbs etc.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think there is a problem with it. The specialty formulas are a little bit pricier, but in my opinion, the ingredients tend to be a little better.

I feed all three of mine Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach with turkey and oatmeal, mainly because Evie tends to throw up food that has chicken as the first ingredient. It can be second, or third, but not first...lol!. I like several things about it:

1. Turkey is the #1 ingredient.
2. It has no fish whatsoever.
3. It's very high in calories, so a little bit goes a long way for my group. I only give them dry as one meal per day, and only on weekdays. So a 5lb bag lasts forever. Emerson gets between 1/8 and 1/4 cup, and Evie and Dexter get 1/8 cup each time they get it.

Of course, no food is perfect and I have some issues with it (I don't like how pea protein is as high as it is, but whatever), but overall I've found it to be a good food.

Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin & Stomach Turkey & Oat Meal Formula Dry Cat Food, 12.5-lb bag - Chewy.com.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses. What do you think about some regular and some grain free?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed their True Nature Turkey and Chicken pate, which is grain free. I haven't fed the grain free hard food because they only offer chicken and fish flavors.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Purina is fine. All my dogs and cats, since I was a little kid, have been eating Purina and there have been few problems.

Any problems that I do remember were caused by the food getting spoiled in storage.

One time, when I was a kid, our dogs started getting sick and throwing up and my father found out that the 50 lb. bag of Purina Dog Chow that they were eating from had gotten moldy. It was the mold that was making them sick. Dad threw out the bad bag and bought a new one. The dogs all got better within a day or so.

Casper eats Purina Cat Chow and he doesn't like to eat anything else. It's been a struggle to get him to eat wet food like we need him to. Except for Casper's medical problems being the reason why he shouldn't eat dry food, regardless of the brand, he has been healthy and happy eating Cat Chow.

In over fifty years of feeding Purina [Dog/Cat] Chow to the dozens of working dogs and pets that I have had, in all this time, these are the only two incidents where problems occurred.

Purina is "average" quality food. It is neither the best food nor the worst. I applaud you for wanting to feed the best foods possible to your cat. :)

I think that Purina Pro Plan foods are more expensive, too expensive for my budget, right now, but if you think that your cat would do better to eat Pro Plan and it's not too expensive for you, I think you should try it.

It's good that you do your homework and find out more about the foods you feed your cat beforehand. More people should do that! :)

Pro Plan or standard Purina, I think you can go with either one. Your cat... your choice! ;)

However, I would advise that you feed your cat at least 50% wet or canned food because a diet of exclusively dry food can cause constipation, especially if the cat doesn't drink enough water. Regardless of the food, cats should drink water at least once per day. Always make sure there is plenty of water! :)

Casper has a perineal hernia and that makes elimination difficult for him. Casper is a picky eater and only wants to eat his dry food. He was originally eating Meow Mix when we adopted him and it was a struggle to switch him fro Meow Mix to Cat Chow. We have been trying to get him to eat more wet food but he only licks the gravy and doesn't eat the food. Casper can be a stubborn, little fuzz face when he wants to. If only we could get him to eat the wet food that he needs, his problems would probably go away.

Bottom line: Purina? Go for it! Just make sure your cat gets at least 50% wet food and 50% dry. Make sure your cat drinks plenty of water. :thumbsup: