Purina Kitten One or Pro plan?

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I feed my 13 year old kitten both wet and dry Purina brand and today my vet said that Purina pro plan is better than Purina one. If anyone has time to help me see if that is true I have listed the ingredients for both dry foods below. Thank you!

Purina pro plan kitten
New: Chicken, Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Beef Fat Preserved With Mixed-tocopherols, Soybean Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product, Poultry By-product Meal, Natural Flavor, Wheat Flour, Sodium Caseinate, L-lysine Monohydrochloride, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K)], Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Taurine, Dl-methionine, Dried Bacillus Coagulans Fermentation Product. X462819.
Original: Chicken, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Animal Fat Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), Soybean Meal, Dried Egg Product, Poultry by-Product Meal, Soy Protein Isolate, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Animal Liver Flavor, Salt, Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Dried Colostrum, Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Sulfate, L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, Ferrous Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Sodium Selenite. V-4628.

Purina one kitten
Chicken, Chicken By-Product Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Rice Flour, Soybean Meal, Beef Fat Naturally Preserved With Mixed-Tocopherols, Chicken Meal, Whole Grain Corn, Soy Protein Concentrate, Liver Flavor, Soy Protein Isolate, Phosphoric Acid, Salt, Caramel Color, Fish Oil, Dried Carrots, Dried Peas, Choline Chloride, Taurine, MINERALS [Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite], Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, VITAMINS [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K)], L-Lysine Monohydrochloride, DL-Methionine. V415917

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I personally don't see enough of a difference to call one better than the other. I am sure there are other dry foods out there that don't have quite as much unnecessary stuff in them, but may be harder to find and/or cost more. Perhaps you can ask your vet why they think the Pro version is better - or maybe they were referring to the canned food? It would be interesting to hear what they say!! I take it that means you are good with the canned food for your guy? How is his overall health?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
There are definitely better kibbles at the price point, including grain free ones. Here’s a recent breakdown I did of kibbles in a similar price category to Purina One Dry food upgrade... with Evolve grain free probably being the best in the price bracket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both very much for the help. I kept her on purnia because that is what they were feeding her at the shelter. I will for sure look at the breakdown chart that you made Maurey. Price is not too much of an issue knock on wood, it's more that I don't want to switch up too much fir her all at once, she is still getting her kitten vaccines done every few weeks and I have only had her for less than five weeks. thanks again!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
If price isn’t an issue, I’d suggest considering an all wet diet. If you‘d prefer to keep feeding kibble, there are some really high quality options available, such as Dr Elseys :) Best of luck with the little girl!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, I feed my 13 year old kitten both wet and dry Purina brand and today my vet said that Purina pro plan is better than Purina one. If anyone has time to help me see if that is true I have listed the ingredients for both dry foods below. Thank you!

Purina pro plan kitten

Is your cat 13 weeks old or 13 years old? Kittens should be offered both canned and dry food and plenty of both because they're bottomless pits and growing. I'd buy a better quality brand of food and slowly transition the kitten over. It's ok to feed something else than what the shelter or vet recommends. Shelters can't afford expensive food and vets don't know much about nutrition.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much everyone! My kitten is 13 weeks old. I will look into better quality alternatives.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very similar but in my experience Pro Plan is higher in calories (compare to its equivelant Purina One) so it actually doesn't necessarily cost more expensive.

For dry food, I think Acana Wild Prairie is better as a starter. Maybe you go with ProPlan for wet food.

PoppyLove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you missclouseau, the cat pictured in your avatar is beautiful. What breed is he or she?