Purina dental treats. do they work? also any good non-kibbles treat?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i was thinking of my cat's dental health while browsing online and found this product:

anyone know about this? will this prevent plaque/tar tar build up? there is a better product that my friend reccomended, but i don't know if my cat takes well to her teeth brushed

and lastly, i found this treat that's almost without filler, and made of real meat but i don't know for sure if it's good or not. i feed Rivel 90% wet food with occasional kibble treat to reinforce positive behaviors.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
The raw chicken gizzard you asked me about in the other thread is a great treat for cleaning teeth. Gizzards are very tough and require cats to really work their jaw.

Cats tear and gnaw on meaty bones in the wild to clean their teeth. The idea that a starchy kibble can clean their teeth is laughable. Sorry, but it’s a scam.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The raw chicken gizzard you asked me about in the other thread is a great treat for cleaning teeth. Gizzards are very tough and require cats to really work their jaw.

Cats tear and gnaw on meaty bones in the wild to clean their teeth. The idea that a starchy kibble can clean their teeth is laughable. Sorry, but it’s a scam.
thank you :) i will just use that instead.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I would just start with a small piece (but not too small - large enough that they have to chew it) and see what your cat does. Monitor them to make sure they’re chewing properly.

Also don’t be surprised if your cat doesn’t want to eat it in a bowl. Cats prefer to eat meat on the ground and some will also carry it to a “safe” location before eating if they feel crowded. So be prepared that there may be a little mess. But it’s worth it to make them happy :)

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, i noticed when we play with feather stick if i give it to her she carry it to her cave. i took it before she could bite it and accidentally eat the feather tho.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The CET poultry toothpaste is yummy to most cats. Give teeth brushing a try. You might be surprised :)

IMO, most dental treats are no different from kibble. The only ones I would suggest trying are the CET dental chews. Each piece is pretty big so a cat has to really chew and gnaw on it to break it up enough to eat.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

so i tried lightly boiled gizzards today. she doesn't want it. i cut it into 6 chunks and she just ignored it. i cut it further into smaller pieces, then mixed his usual wet food and she cleverly lick ALL the canned food while leaving the gizzard behind.

does she just not like it? the preparation is wrong? have to be raw? maybe introduce smaller pieces first or just any other tips lol.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just will not eat organs, raw or cooked. Nothing you can do to change the cat's mind about that.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats just will not eat organs, raw or cooked. Nothing you can do to change the cat's mind about that.
yeah. i will try several other methods, if not well gotta get my hands dirty and manually do her dental hygiene

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
yeah. i will try several other methods, if not well gotta get my hands dirty and manually do her dental hygiene
I would try raw. It’s also better for teeth if raw because raw meat contains natural enzymes That clean teeth.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try raw. It’s also better for teeth if raw because raw meat contains natural enzymes That clean teeth.
Because it's not exactly fresh and i live in Indonesia where it isn't known for the market's hygiene lol.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ah darn it i will just try brushing her tooth. Just bought virbac CET toothpaste but the brush is overpriced. Can you use human baby toothbrush? It should arrive in 2-3 days

She does let me clean her ears with Q-tip. I hope she lets me mess with the mouth. Since virbac is supposed to taste good maybe i let her taste it first?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise

I want to try this for treats. Problem is I have tons of cat food but need to add stuff for free shipping! One of my cats, I shut her in a room and use my hands in her mouth and let her chew on the brush and get used to it or train her with treats. My other cats use wipes. Getting the gums is enough so you dont need to totally open her mouth

Last edited: