Pureed cat food, do they make it1?

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive been struggling to find a cat food that my cat will eat a decent amount of without leaving 1/3 of it in the dish.  First of all, he'll only eat chicken. Second of all, he'll only eat patee. Third of all, he rejects almost every single cat food I give him even if it is chicken and patee.  I discovered last week that if I beat his favorite cat food chicken patee to, like, a sauce (a Puree), he will inhale quickly it and leave hardly any in the dish. I use a fork to mash up the already-mashed-up (lol) patee, and then I push it with the back of the spoon into the bottom of the dish (steel) and kind of grind it against the bottom of the dish, moving the spoon all around, until all the texture is gone, and then it looks almost like jelly and even quivers a little! I make it into a little heap,in a clean dish and he just loves it. 

After months of trying everything, I had landed on Purina One Classic Chicken recipe. But it is time consuming to process his food this way. Do they sell something like this?

Thanks!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Get one of those mini blenders (add spring water). Have you tried Merrick chicken or duck pate, fancy feast classic liver & chicken, nutro natural choice chunky chicken? My cats love all 3!

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My fussy cat will only eat pate foods, and I find I still have to water them down a bit and make it more puree like. He wants to lap up his food rather than bite it. :rolleyes:
I've used my hand blender to puree food when I've bought non pate food. And like bonepicker bonepicker add water to get the right consistency.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get one of those mini blenders (add spring water). Have you tried Merrick chicken or duck pate, fancy feast classic liver & chicken, nutro natural choice chunky chicken? My cats love all 3!
My 3 love all of these foods, too. The Merrick turkey pate is a good one, also. Nutro Natural Choice is a great line in general for picky eaters. They have minced, sliced, soft loaf (pate) and chunky loaf. They have a wide variety of flavors, too. The loaf varieties (regular and chunky) are very soft so they are easily blended if you need to

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not tried Merrick food!  Dont' forget, so far it HAS to be Smoooth (no chunks, even if soft) and JUST chicken—no turkey, liver, etc.  But chicken comes in different styles by different makers, so I try different makers. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Merrick LID chicken is very soft and juicy, my cats really enjoy it because its not super dry and hard like some pate. For some reason the Turkey and Duck are not as soft as the chicken. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not tried Merrick food!  Dont' forget, so far it HAS to be Smoooth (no chunks, even if soft) and JUST chicken—no turkey, liver, etc.  But chicken comes in different styles by different makers, so I try different makers. 
Merrick has pates that are smooth. They do have chicken available. Nutro Natural Choice has chicken soft loaf for kittens and seniors. I give both (on occasion) to all of my cats. Their ages are almost 3 and almost 9. They all like it a lot.

Kitten

http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/nutro/canned/kitten-soft-loaf-chicken-recipe.aspx

Senior

http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/nutro/canned/senior-soft-loaf-chicken-recipe.aspx

Nutro also has a chicken soft loaf for adults but it is in the perfect portions line.

http://www.nutro.com/natural-cat-food/nutro/perfect-portions/perfect-portions-chicken-recipe.aspx

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Merrick LID chicken is very soft and juicy, my cats really enjoy it because its not super dry and hard like some pate. For some reason the Turkey and Duck are not as soft as the chicken. 
Mine love the Merrick LID line. I agree about the chicken. Mine like it the best out of all of them but they will eat them all- with a topper of course.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buy a mini food processor or hand blender and use it to turn most any canned food into smooth pate with some water
You can find inexpensive ones at Target and Walmart. I got a mini food processor for $10 at JC Penney awhile ago.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a small Cuisinart mini-prep food processor: it's great for cat food and people food, I use it all the time!

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone! 

I'll tell you what I get worried about when I think of food processors etc, and that is that there will be a lot of food that will get stuck to the sides, the bottom the blades and whatever and lot of food will be lost—and since the cans are so small, and I can't do a lot at once, it's a large % of the food that will be lost.  My cat basically LOVES food only when the can is first opened.  But he does not eat a lot at once.  (It says on those cans to feed your cat a ridiculous amount per pound! does anyone agree it's too much?) Anyway, for those little cans, he might eat only 1/3 of that can at one "sitting." ("crouching")  He must have a small stomach, especially for a large cat.

So, would you suggest I would process a whole little can at once? And would it keep tasting good, even though it had been out in the air and getting exposed to whatever it is that is gets exposed to that makes him only love the first meal from the newly opened can?  (I'm not sure anyone will identify with my rambling thoughts about this~)

Because I think it must be a time-saver to use a machine!  Does it get as smooth as my standing there mashing it with the back of a spoon for 5 minutes? 

thx.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to make food in order to syringe feed my Lucky awhile back. I would toss a can in the blender, add some water (you probably don't need as much as I did) and liquefy the whole thing. It wasn't that hard to get it all out. Some of it stuck, but that happens with everything in a blender.

Last edited:

wendalore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a small cat of Merrick chicken pate and he liked it. I'll get more.  A big can of special diet chicken pate, he did and didn't like.  Mostly didn't. Thanks!

Charly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a female calico with similar issues. It is a constant trail and error. She also loves pureed chicken. I found this brand which has long, narrow tinfoil packets. You tear off one end and squeeze the puree on to the plate. They have all the required nutrition. The down side is the product is expensive, but my cat loves it. They have different formulas such as 'skin and coat'.
The product name: purr puree, plus (kit cat international Pte Ltd)
www.kicat.com.sg

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is his teeth okay? My Krista is going through this texture preference right now because her teeth are bothering her again. She's already had extractions and I think it's only a matter of time before they all get pulled. Up until last night, she would eat Rawz pate without fuss. I think she must have broken a tooth last night because now she'll only lick the gravy or if I spread it thin enough and mix it with enough moisture, but not too much, then she'll lick it up. But if she has to chew too much, well, there's something wrong. She winces and flings the food. I was only able to get her to finish a very thin plate with a lot of tuna water and only after I gave her some pain medication from the last time she had tooth extractions. Cats hide pain and don't understand that broken teeth can be extracted and the pain goes away. If you're waiting for him to tell you his teeth are hurting, this may be it.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tikicat (Petco) makes food that is a mousse. Comes in a pouch. No chunks, smooth consistency, similar in texture to Gerber baby food.