Purebites/puresnacks

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats love them, so I bought the larger bag for dogs since it was cheaper. They have a hard time with the larger chunks so I tear them up but I noticed they're super greasy and oily. One piece even dripped oil.

Are they supposed to be like that? Or did I get a dud bag.
I don't remember if the ones for cats were that oily.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I have NEVER had anything oily come out of purebites freeze dried chicken from the LARGE bag, I use 6 bags a month for dogs and cats. I buy from Chewy.com

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Occasionally I've run across oily pieces in the Purebites dog size (I also buy that size because of the price point). Some breasts have a LOT of fat on them, and I figure that's what that is. I believe Purebites are actually RAW when they are freeze dried...that's why their texture is pretty different from the other freeze dried chickens out there.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said. Though I've never really come across anything too oily. In fact I only get some residue on my fingers when I tear it up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly: it's chicken fat. Which probably makes them all the tastier for cats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Evie's Mommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you everyone for your responses! I feel better now and will definitely buy more.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had that experience sometimes too. I just figured it fat and fine for them to eat.

Subspace

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same experience here. Grabbed a chicken piece that was a bit more tan compared to the rest and gave it to my kitten. She stuffed it in her mouth and spat it back out. I grabbed the piece (thinking it was too big for her), ripped it in half and got a good amount of oil on my fingers. She ate it all after that.