PureBites freeze-dried duck liver

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was hesitant to buy it at first, since Juli turned away from cooked chicken liver when I made some for her. My first homemade cooked chicken food, with chicken liver, she has had to be tricked into eating by mixing in other toppers etc.

As soon as I opened the pack of duck liver, she came over. When I gave her a piece she gobbled it up!

Is duck liver that different from chicken liver? The ingredients says pure duck liver, so it’s not something added that’s making it so appealing to her.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not certain about the nutritional equivalence of duck vs chicken liver. Maybe mschauer mschauer can field this one. I think they are both sufficiently rich in Vitamin A. If you wanted to try to make a batch of homemade with the duck liver, there’s a conversion calculation for using freeze dried ingredients vs fresh.

If I’m reading my Krista recipe calculations correctly, that formula is:

( (100- % moisture fresh) / (100 - % moisture freeze dried ) * desired fresh weight

% moisture fresh is looked up from USDA database
FoodData Central
For duck liver, that % moisture is 71.8 (Water g /100 g serving)
% moisture freeze dried is going to come off the PureBites label.
PUREBITES Duck Liver Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats, 2.6-oz bag - Chewy.com
5% moisture

So, if your recipe called for 45 g of fresh liver, the amount of freeze dried to use would be:
((100-71.8) / (100-5)) * 45 = 13.4 g of freeze dried

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JulietteTruong

Sassy but sweet calico girl
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I did not know purebites has duck. I will try it. Was the chicken liver freeze dried?
I got it from chewy! It’s on sale too.
The chicken liver I used for my first homemade cooked batch was fresh.

I’m not certain about the nutritional equivalence of duck vs chicken liver. Maybe mschauer mschauer can field this one. I think they are both sufficiently rich in Vitamin A. If you wanted to try to make a batch of homemade with the duck liver, there’s a conversion calculation for using freeze dried ingredients vs fresh.

If I’m reading my Krista recipe calculations correctly, that formula is:

( (100- % moisture fresh) / (100 - % moisture freeze dried ) * desired fresh weight

% moisture fresh is looked up from USDA database
FoodData Central
For duck liver, that % moisture is 71.8 (Water g /100 g serving)
% moisture freeze dried is going to come off the PureBites label.
PUREBITES Duck Liver Freeze-Dried Raw Dog Treats, 2.6-oz bag - Chewy.com
5% moisture

So, if your recipe called for 45 g of fresh liver, the amount of freeze dried to use would be:
((100-71.8) / (100-5)) * 45 = 13.4 g of freeze dried
Oh! Thanks! I think I’ll try the cooked chicken with duck liver next. I get the feeling she’s not thrilled with chicken liver

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once bought a little pack of PureBites duck liver for our cats and they loved it! The smallest hint of it on their food made them go crazy.

I've been making food with (pure) freeze-dried chicken liver dog treats but will have to give the PureBites a try if the gigundo container of chicken liver is ever gone! Our cats love fresh chicken liver but I really hate handling (and storing) it... then there was pandemic shopping (fresh wasn't always easy to even in before times) so freeze-dried it has been! I do really like the convenience.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl hates fresh or cooked liver but she loves freeze dried liver. But she won’t eat it rehydrated. So for homemade, I make food without liver and give her freeze dried as a snack. That’s the only thing that worked for us.