Purchasing a Maine Coon - your suggestions?

Naperbug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi- as you might see from other posts I am in search of a new friend to be our house pet.

so I came across this 7 month old female Maine Coon. The breeder will provide all vaccine papers along with TICA registration documents.

the price is $1600 (including dropping her an hour away from my home from Michigan.

any suggestion if price is good?
Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The price sounds to be in the normal range for the US, but what's more important than that is verifying if this is an ethical, responsible breeder.

Does this breeder show their cats? Have the breeding cats been tested for common health issues that affect Maine Coons, like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Does the breeder provide a contract for buying the kitten, with health guarantees, agreements to never declaw the cats, and to take the kitten back if you aren't able to care for her anymore for any reason? How many cats does the breeder have, and how many litters do their cats have each year? At 7 months, what vet care has the kitten received, and has she been spayed?

I would make sure to ask all of these questions if you have not already done so. I'm not sure if this is the case in the US, but for reputable breeders here in Canada they usually have long wait lists and most kittens are spoken for long before they reach the standard age of 14 weeks when they go home, so it's quite rare to see an unclaimed purebred kitten from a reputable breeder available at 7 months old, unless it's a cat that was held back for breeding and then the breeder decided to let the cat be a pet instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Naperbug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nice post, thank you for guiding. I’ll ask all that

george775

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi- as you might see from other posts I am in search of a new friend to be our house pet.

so I came across this 7 month old female Maine Coon. The breeder will provide all vaccine papers along with TICA registration documents.

the price is $1600 (including dropping her an hour away from my home from Michigan.

any suggestion if price is good?
Thank you in advance.
I don't have any advice, very pretty cat. I've always wanted a Maine Coon or another Siamese. I hope everything works out well.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The price sounds to be in the normal range for the US, but what's more important than that is verifying if this is an ethical, responsible breeder.

Does this breeder show their cats? Have the breeding cats been tested for common health issues that affect Maine Coons, like hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Does the breeder provide a contract for buying the kitten, with health guarantees, agreements to never declaw the cats, and to take the kitten back if you aren't able to care for her anymore for any reason? How many cats does the breeder have, and how many litters do their cats have each year? At 7 months, what vet care has the kitten received, and has she been spayed?

I would make sure to ask all of these questions if you have not already done so. I'm not sure if this is the case in the US, but for reputable breeders here in Canada they usually have long wait lists and most kittens are spoken for long before they reach the standard age of 14 weeks when they go home, so it's quite rare to see an unclaimed purebred kitten from a reputable breeder available at 7 months old, unless it's a cat that was held back for breeding and then the breeder decided to let the cat be a pet instead.
I will reiterate all of this and add, in the US most reputable breeders also have very long wait lists.

However, sometimes, a purchase can fall through for many various reasons and a breeder may find themselves with a kitten older than the usual age they would go home at. Or, as already stated, was being held to assess for their breeding program.

Where did you learn about this breeder? $1600 is a good price, yes.

I do find it a bit unusual the cat is allowed outdoors, though, and more so if not yet spayed. Do find out about that.

I would ask why the cat is still with them at this age. She appears to be a very nice looking cat so I hope all works out for you!

platty

Hobbyist Bengal Cat Breeder
Adult Cat
Purraise
Never owned one but my partner is anchoring after one i can tell so if we get one i'll be posting on here lol