Puppy and the cat!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfect time for a “leave it” and then praise/reward.
I totally agree. "Leave it" is such an important thing for them to learn. When they have that down, they won't get too out of hand with tug and also won't eat anything that they shouldn't. It could be a toy, food, a child, another animal. Most important command for a puppy to learn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't let mine work it out on their own, ever. I wanted my dog, not the cats, and it isn't up to them to get stressed or angry enough to lash out at the dog for being obnoxious. (And, I know my dog would retaliate, so letting them work it out would be a really bad idea.) If my dog starts bullying the cats, she's told to knock it off once, and if she doesn't listen, she goes in a cage for a few minutes so she can chill out. That usually does the trick.
A week or so ago, my dog and I were playing a game and she was really amped up. She had the tug toy and was shaking it and growling while I held the other end. Lila, my tortie, got triggered by this for some reason and lashed out and bit my dog on the side of her neck. I didn't tolerate that either! I took the cat out of the room.
JMO of course.
Yikes - that's scary to have the cat bite the dog. Hope your dog is okay.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pup just needs to learn to "leave it" and "gentle". That usually works with my cats and dogs. Also, agree that the cat will tell the dog when she's had enough. As long as you are supervising, they should eventually work it out. We have brought so many rescue animals into our home over the years, it takes a little time but they end up getting along just fine. They are only doing what comes natural to them.
Nice to know that eventually all your rescue animals get along fine. That's very encouraging to hear.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think you are off to a great start. I'm sure pup will settle down as he gets older too. He listens to you which is half the battle. :clapcat:
I hope so. I want my beautiful cat to be happy and at peace - she's such a sweetie. And I want my new pup to be happy too. He is very sweet too. :)

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally get it. Would love to see a picture of them. ❤
I'll try and see if I can attach a photo. This is the one and only time they shared a bed. My pup came over to find the cat in his bed, and crawled in with her. LOL.

Attachments

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll try and see if I can attach a photo. This is the one and only time they shared a bed. My pup came over to find the cat in his bed, and crawled in with her. LOL.
They are absolutely precious! I'm sure everything will be just fine. As soon as he learns to respect her space. Thanks for sharing!

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A tongue bath - LOL! He seems like such a sweetheart!
Oh, he absolutely is...but he's big, and clumsy. Your pup is small so it shouldn't be too bad to deal with. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as well and the cats actually hassle him. I think, they think he's a cat. Eli has a chasing instinct, so if he wants to play, he will chase. If he chases the cats, I have to say "leave it" and he will immediately stop. They are all pretty good at respecting each others space though. Ash (Lulu's brother) just had surgery and Eli has been really good.

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, he absolutely is...but he's big, and clumsy. Your pup is small so it shouldn't be too bad to deal with. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel as well and the cats actually hassle him. I think, they think he's a cat. Eli has a chasing instinct, so if he wants to play, he will chase. If he chases the cats, I have to say "leave it" and he will immediately stop. They are all pretty good at respecting each others space though. Ash (Lulu's brother) just had surgery and Eli has been really good.
That's awesome that you can say 'leave it' and Eli will stop. Amazing. When I first got the pup, I kept him on a leash afraid the cat would hurt him. Then they seemed fine together until the pup grew and started jumping on the cat. So now I'm working on 'leave it'. King Charles spaniels are adorable.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's awesome that you can say 'leave it' and Eli will stop. Amazing. When I first got the pup, I kept him on a leash afraid the cat would hurt him. Then they seemed fine together until the pup grew and started jumping on the cat. So now I'm working on 'leave it'. King Charles spaniels are adorable.
I understand. He will get it. You know the key, consistency and reward. Test him with something he would really go after, like food. Wishing you all the very best, keep us posted on your progress. :heartshape:

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand. He will get it. You know the key, consistency and reward. Test him with something he would really go after, like food. Wishing you all the very best, keep us posted on your progress. :heartshape:
Thanks a lot. I will keep you posted. My pup understands tons of commands but I never taught 'leave it'. I need to get on that. I just want my sweet cat to be able to move around anywhere she wants to go without a pup on top of her, and I just want my sweet pup to respect her space. I'll keep working on it. Thank you.