Puppy and the cat!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, the cat has disciplined the pup with a swat, for sure. And the cat is not afraid of the pup one bit. The cat has a whole room to herself with kitty litter, water, and food - and the pup can't get there. But the cat will drink out of the dog's water bowl, not her own. Sigh. It does sound like a game to the cat. The cat is 14 years old but I have only had her for a little over a year. Her owner passed away and his family was going to put her down so I took her. Individually the cat is adorable - sweet, affectionate, loving. And my new pup is adorable - sweet, happy, loveable.
If the cat gives the pup a swat, how does he react?
Lila (cat) will smack the crap out of Livie (dog) if she gets too forward, but 30 seconds later Lila is back and baiting Livie to chase her. Lila seems to have a love/hate relationship with her. I don't let outright bullying happen. But if Livie is persistent in being annoying, Lila will drive the point home better than I ever could.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're doing great. I know it can be exhausting. The goal is to have a safe and peaceful household. Can you try positive rewards for the puppy when you call him away from the cat...or have you already tried that? If they are just left alone to do their thing, can you watch and reward him if he leaves her alone? What are they like when left alone together? It doesn't seem like they are aggressive with each other. What about kitty, does she like treats?
Hi there!!! Yesterday I just let them be and I've been videotaping them. One thing for sure - the cat is not afraid of the pup in any way. And I saw her discipline the pup when he got too rough - ie - pulled her ear. The cat is always in the pup's face too - ie drinking the pup's water when the cat has her own water in a safe space the pup can't get to. Yes, I do give the pup treats when I call him away from the cat. And the cat likes treats too. I don't ever leave them alone together without my supervision, but I don't really think they would harm each other. Individually, both the cat and the pup are sweeties and I love them both. I struggle to understand the cat because I didn't raise her but took her in when her owner passed away and the family was going to put her down. But for now, I'm videoing their interactions.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there!!! Yesterday I just let them be and I've been videotaping them. One thing for sure - the cat is not afraid of the pup in any way. And I saw her discipline the pup when he got too rough - ie - pulled her ear. The cat is always in the pup's face too - ie drinking the pup's water when the cat has her own water in a safe space the pup can't get to. Yes, I do give the pup treats when I call him away from the cat. And the cat likes treats too. I don't ever leave them alone together without my supervision, but I don't really think they would harm each other. Individually, both the cat and the pup are sweeties and I love them both. I struggle to understand the cat because I didn't raise her but took her in when her owner passed away and the family was going to put her down. But for now, I'm videoing their interactions.
Everything sounds totally normal to me. I think it is going to be just fine. Take a breather dear, and relax a bit, you deserve it!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know. I guess I'm just tired after trying for 6 months. My latest strategy is to just let them 'be' and see what happens. I'm hoping they can figure out a way to 'be' with one another. I can't live like this.
I think at this point that's a good way to do it, supervised of course. I honestly get the feeling the cat has grown to love the pup, but the puppy still is learning that cats don't always play like puppies. Livie had a few claw marks as a puppy for being over bearing, but at this very second she and Goofy and cuddled up in a bed at my feet, sound asleep.
You have been doing a LOT to train this puppy right, and he's 8 months old or so? Typical teenager age! Let them be and see what happens, and keep up on that training and you'll be SO thankful you did all this work when he was young when he's a nice, well adjusted adult. Hang in there! :)

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HI there,

Well, today is day 4 of just allowing my pup and cat to 'be' together. I've stayed out of it. For a long time I thought they did well together until the pup got a bit bigger than the cat and started jumping on her, pushing her around etc. The cat squawked a lot, hissed, and I kept the pup on a leash for a while teaching him 'manners'. I felt so badly for the cat. But wow, by allowing them to just 'be', I certainly discovered the cat is not in the least intimidated by the pup. The cat may squawk and hiss at times but never runs away or hides. As a matter of fact, the cat instigates a lot of the interaction. The pup is actually quite gentle but totally adores the cat. The cat is like the queen and rules the scene. I think I'm the issue - not them. I didn't raise the cat and feel at a loss at times about 'who' she is. But I find if I stay out of it, they seem to work it out themselves. Thanks everyone, for your input. You have helped me enormously!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Honestly I think that by giving the cat that bit of time while you were holding the puppy back, she found her own confidence and place in the household. You were more of a help than you realize ❣

This is absolutely fantastic news, thank you so much for the update, and Happy New Year!!

SuzanneMarie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I think that by giving the cat that bit of time while you were holding the puppy back, she found her own confidence and place in the household. You were more of a help than you realize ❣

This is absolutely fantastic news, thank you so much for the update, and Happy New Year!!
Happy New Year to you, too. I do feel so much better. I give them both lots of loving and individually they are both so darn sweet. When the cat's previous owner was sick, she never left his side and I admire her loyalty. I'm glad I can give her a home because they were going to put her down when her owner passed. But my dog passed last year and I'm a huge dog lover - hence the new pup. But things are definitely looking up. Thank you.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI there,

Well, today is day 4 of just allowing my pup and cat to 'be' together. I've stayed out of it. For a long time I thought they did well together until the pup got a bit bigger than the cat and started jumping on her, pushing her around etc. The cat squawked a lot, hissed, and I kept the pup on a leash for a while teaching him 'manners'. I felt so badly for the cat. But wow, by allowing them to just 'be', I certainly discovered the cat is not in the least intimidated by the pup. The cat may squawk and hiss at times but never runs away or hides. As a matter of fact, the cat instigates a lot of the interaction. The pup is actually quite gentle but totally adores the cat. The cat is like the queen and rules the scene. I think I'm the issue - not them. I didn't raise the cat and feel at a loss at times about 'who' she is. But I find if I stay out of it, they seem to work it out themselves. Thanks everyone, for your input. You have helped me enormously!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU.
:happycat:Fantastic! I'm old school I guess, and that's just the way I've always done it. I'm so glad it worked out. Now you are well on your way to a Happy New Year and a happy household! :happycat: