Pupils were different size, now one eye is cloudy?

lynxx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

This is my cat Boo. Yesterday when I came home from work I noticed her right eye's pupil was smaller than the other. She ate her dinner normally, but didn't want to play and seemed tired. She was squinting her eye like it was painful. I looked it up online and found several different causes, but since there was no discharge, she wasn't acting like she had hit her head or had an ear infection, I decided it was probably inflammation of the tissues behind the eye. Her and my other cat play rough sometimes and he tends to bite her around the face and neck area. So I would watch her carefully and probably take her to the vet tomorrow if she started acting really weird.

Well, this morning I woke up and she was a normal cat again! Her pupils were pretty much the same size, she wanted her breakfast and she wasn't squinting or acting tired. I was so relieved!

But just now I was looking at her and noticed her right eye is slightly cloudy? She's not squinting it, there's been no discharge and she seems fine. I'm so confused! Maybe this is still a part of the inflammation/infection she possibly has?
Heres a pic of her eye as it looks right now:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Link once had a slightly cloudy eye. It was red too (which was noticeable because he has blue eyes so the red infection turned one eye purple). In his case it was the same with no obvious signs of discomfort. It was a quick dye test and eye ointment at the vet. I think about $80 bucks later we were home and within a week his eye was clear.

Point being that it may not be cataracts. You don't mention Boos age but usually cataracts are in older cats. I would start with an exam and see what the vet thinks before you get too worried. It sounds like it was worse and has gotten slightly better so I would guess more likely some sort of injury. A vet visit would likely give you much peace of mind and heal up her eye quicker.

Last edited:

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a human doctor, not a vet.  Cloudiness of one pupil could well be due to a cataract and you should take your cat to the vet as soon as possible. 

It is notoriously difficult to make a diagnosis from a photograph, but your cat could, perhaps, alternatively be suffering from glaucoma. This is a rise in pressure of the fluid inside the eye because there is a problem with ocular drainage.  However acute glaucoma in humans, and in cats, is usually associated with inflammation and pain.  The photo does look more like a cataract than glaucoma as there is little evidence of inflammation.  Whatever, you should take Boo to your vet as soon as you can. 

Treatment of glaucoma is by eye drops to dilate the intra-ocular drainage.  Cataracts require surgery in humans, and in cats, but your vet will examine Boo and give you a diagnosis and will check her also for diabetes which is a common cause of cataract.

Regardless of the possible diagnosis, Boo could lose her sight in the affected eye if you delay in taking her to the vet.

She is a very beautiful cat. 

Please keep us posted,

Geoffrey

sebanazabal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi lynxx

I know this thread has been inactive for more than 3 years, but I need to know what happened with Boo. Yesterday, I woke up to my 7 month old cat with a cloudy right eye, just like in the picture you showed of Boo. I spent hours googling for images of cats with the same cloudy eye, and only your picture of Boo looks like the eye of my cat.

I wanted to ask you what happened with Boo. Did the cloudy eye simply cured itself, or did the vets gave you a certain diagnosis?

Im from Uruguay, and I have taken her to many vets and no one has a definitive explanation as to what is causing the hazy eye, so Im trying to learn what illness she may have by other methods. Of course I will keep taking her to the vet until we come to a conclusion.

Please, Im very preocupied for her
Thank you very much