Punkin, Our Sweet Wild Girl

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After a few weeks of poor health, we lost our beloved "wild girl" last night. Punkin died in our arms after suffering a seizure. She was a gift beyond gifts, and my heart grieves deeply for this beautiful little animal. She was with us for nearly 15 years, born Dec. 21, 2005. Her sister, Peanut, remains with us and will provide us with a constant link to Punkin's memory. Not enough words can be said about her amazing life and what she brought to our family. She was our squirrel bug, our sugar-frosted flake, our bugs-n-bugs, our little shortstop. May she rest in peace after giving it everything she had in her final week of life. While I am practically paralyzed with grief right now, her countenance was so powerful that it keeps me from sinking into a really dark place as I grapple with the notion that she is gone, a thought that only a week ago wasn't anywhere near our minds. For a time we thought she was responding to the treatment we started Monday with the force feedings and the fluid drips, but she must have suffered a stroke at some point, with mini-seizures to follow. In the end, it was one massive seizure, perhaps a stroke as well, that took her. It was not an easy thing to experience but we were witness to her every moment of the last half hour of her life. As hard as it was, it was a rare gift. There was no medical intervention, no trip to the vet, no strangers standing around. After my wife said to me, "She's stopped breathing," I lay on the bed, my bed, next to Punkin and studied her body for signs of life, half expecting her to recover. I'm glad she didn't. She deserved to be at peace. She was one in a million. I would not be who I am at this moment had it not been for her. In honor of her passing, I'm posting one of my all-time favorite pics of her from about ten years ago and posting this link to a song that has long been a favorite of mine.

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Punkin, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I am so very, very sorry that your girl is gone. And so sorry that you had to go through that seizure. This is something I know from YEARS of working in the medical field, and seeing seizures from all sorts of causes...SHE WAS NOT THERE. She was not in pain. She did not know. I hope that eases some small part of your grief, at least. And this is something else I know, to the depths of my being...love does not die, it only changes form, and continues on, still Love. And Love abides, always and forever, Love abides. The sweetest part of Punkin, her love for her family, is now translated and purified into Love. And it is with you still, for Love abides.

Last edited:

daones

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for your loss, I am glad you were able to spend a lot of happy years with her and be a part of her life. Stick in there over time the grief will be gone but the love for her will always be there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You were there for her at her end as you were there for her in life. She sensed your love and concern and I'm sure she thanks you for sparing her the added fear of a vet visit.
It's hard to let them go, especially after so many years. The house, and your heart seem so empty, the pain unending in these first days of grief. Do not let her end take on more importance then that beautiful life. She shared your life's journey for a little while, and though she now follows a new path, it will forever parallel your own because you are bound together by the ties of love. These ties are a very part of you, because they are spiritual. She will forver be as close as your thoughts and prayers. She loved life so very much she would want you to go forward and to live it to the fullest, just as you would want for her if you were the first to go.
My heart goes out to you, I know how much trhis hurts. Bless you for making her life a happy one, and give that sweet sister a kiss from me, she hurts too. Take care........RIP beautiful Punkin. You will always be missed, you will have a secure place in loving hearts fpr eternity. May the good Lord bless and keep you, until you meet again!

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Memories are always with us and some songs resonate with our Souls,
A cat is a gift to our memories, more than a gift to our earthly bodies.

With joy we will carry on because we have to accomplish our duty.

Hugs and tears for Punkin the Cat!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry that you lost your little friend, she was beautiful. The end was tragic, I know how difficult that can be, years ago I came home to see Sebastian tangled in the mini blinds, crying, he had been sick and must've been trying to climb up or out and he got stuck, and when I untangled him he passed away in my arms. He didn't die from being tangled, it was just a tragic thing that happened at his end, but it was so very difficult for me to deal with at the time. But as time went on, it turned from being something horrible which it was to something sweet, I held him when he died, he literally hung on because he knew I would be home soon, he didn't die alone, and looking back on it I can do so without feeling horrible; you had a similar situation where what you witnessed was awful, but you and she were all there and at home, and as awful as it was it was bittersweet too. She is fine now, just fine, probably relieved to be out of her pain riddled body, and is healthy and happy and doing just fine now, and when you meet again one day it will be wonderful.

I have found that the homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara helps with sudden shock and grief and sadness.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope your hearts heal a bit more each day, Lord Bless you......:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You made me cry, your love for her, your dedication to her life, is strongly visible in your words. No doubt, she was one in a million and nothing in the world would replace her in your life and in your heart.
She was really beautiful, a nice cute face.
She was loved so much, and she knows that and for this she is grateful. You'll be in her heart till the day you will be reunited, never to part again.

RIP Punkin, you're a new bright star in the sky.