Punkin Is Not Well

rexinminn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Punkin seemed on the rebound a mere week ago. She wasn't eating much, sometimes at all, so a trip to the vet a week ago this past Friday she received sub-cutaneous fluids which helped her energy level. But the rebound didn't last. Her blood results were excellent for a cat of 15, but there seems to be an underlying condition exasperating her health. We were so discouraged this weekend we called a mobile vet to come to our house to put her down. The vet and her tech came this morning and were here nearly two hours, working with us to try to find the best possible options for our girl. For now we have decided to continue feeding her by syringe, 10 ml at a time, five times a day. We are mixing a slurry I'm making of broth (no onions) mixed with a paté-type cat food, butter and water which is heated, mixed thoroughly, and allowed to cool. Our girl has become transformed in just the last ten days, she's lost so much weight. I'm not seeing a positive ending here, but she is still leaping up to us on the furniture during her occasional forays away from the bed where she spends most of her time snoozing. We will also be doing regular sub-cutaneous fluid for her every other day, so hopefully that will help. I'm glad she's still with us, as I had fully expected the vet to put her down today, but Punkin just won't quit. She's an amazing and beautiful animal whose end is near, but it simply has not come yet. We will know when to let her go.
Punkin on Table 10.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear of Punkin's ill health and the fact that the vet can't find out the cause, just makes it more frustrating for you.

One thing that helped my seventeen year old cat a few months ago was Lactose-free whole milk, warmed up. Cats love the smell of milk and being lactose free, it won't hurt Punkin's tummy. The fact that it is whole milk will give her much needed calories and fat. Did the vet show you how to administer fluids under her skin?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that Punkin is having so much difficulty. I know how sore your hearts must be, but it seems that you have excellent veterinary care for her, and someone willing to fight so long as she is willing to fight! jefferd18 jefferd18 's advice about the lactose-free milk is as good as I could have given.

Meanwhile, I'm lighting a candle for Punkin.

00LitCandle.jpeg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another option would be goat's milk.

I'm glad you now have a mobile vet to care for her; mobile vets greatly reduce anxiety for our fur babies, and it sounds like you've found an excellent one, who's willing to work with you.

I'll send you a PM with my other suggestion.

Margret