Pumpkin Will Be Crossing The Bridge In A Few Days

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello. This is the saddest post I've ever written here. I've come here for years with worries and just to check out other folks posts about health, behavior and fun stuff. Your advice has been uplifting and amazing and I'm grateful. Thank you all!

The Orange Pimp, Punkass, the Pimpster, The Orange Jerk, Mr. Stinkalicious (IE Pumpkin) will be helped to the bridge in a few days. He has been battling the autoimmune disease Pemphigus and the resulting diabetes now for nearly 2 years. He's almost 16. He's skin and bones, can't jump up on most things now and has lost interest in play and catnip. He has become increasingly cuddly as opposed to his usual friendly but not affectionate self. He has two paws that have become hard and cracked and painful because of his disease (s) and today he had a seizure as he lay next to me on the couch.

We met at West End Shelter for Animals, a no kill place in Ontario Calif. in 2004 1 year after my beloved Dad died. I had spiraled into depression and was nearly suicidal. Adopting him would eventually be the push I needed to decide to get treatment instead of deciding to jump in front of a commuter train. He saved my life. I had a large dog background and he was very outgoing and friendly. So it was an easy transition. But he's all feline at the heart. He charmed everyone he ever met, cat lover or not. He will leave behind fans and friends in three different states. He followed me to Northern VA in 2013 as I quit journalism and tried to make a new life. After that didn't work out, he followed me to Houston, TX where we lived for 3 years. Finally, he followed me back home to beautiful and sunny, progressive southern CA.

He's done much more for me than I ever could for him, but I tried my best. Over the next few days, I will be with him. My job assignment recently ended this week and that's when he started to show signs of much more physical degradation than I noticed before. It may have been I just didn't have the time to notice between work and school. I intend to make these final days and hours the best I can for him. He will still get his insulin, but he will eat whatever the hell he wants to eat. He may even have a few visitors.

Thanks so much again everybody. I will post a final update in a few days.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this vampyre08 vampyre08 It sounds as if the two of you have had a wonderful life together. Helping him cross as painlessly as possible now that the end is near is the kindest thing you can do for him.

We'll be here for you if you need us in the days to follow.

Big hug to you both.

:hugs: :catlove:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's done much more for me than I ever could for him, but I tried my best.
Please, don't measure what you did and what you could have done for him by a human point of view.
In Pumpkin's eyes you have done everything he needed. You gave him a home, love, care and treatment till his last day. And now you're spending time with him.
I think that in Pumpkin's eyes you have done and are doing more than he could ever expected. And he showed you that he was happy for this by giving you his love and friendship.
He was lucky to find you as you were lucky to find him.
You both have saved each other's life. You both had a mission and have accomplished it.
Give Pumpkin a big hug for me :alright:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There comes a time when quality of life is put against quantity. When living is just existing.You, the person who loves that little boy above all else, will know when that time is reached. It will be hard, one of the hardest things you will ever do. But you are strong, filled with his love that will give you the strength you need. You can't let him suffer, it will be the last act of love you will bestow upon him, it will preserve his dignity and allow him to escape the pain his tiny body has endured and that he has fought against so hard. The bond you have formed is a strong one, almost 16 years of love and commitment, hold on to it, it is something that can never be taken from you. He saved you, and now you will save his memories to bring comfort to you in your time of grief. He was in your life for a reason, you shared your life journey for a while and he brought you joy and a reason to live. You in return gave him what he wanted above all else, your love. In this time of thanksgiving and joy, celebrate having him in your life, thank him for what he gave you, and for what he will continue to bring, his love to fill your heart. Love is a spiritual presence, although the physical body can fail, love will be eternal. You will learn a new life's order, his new path will always parallel yours until one day when it crosses again.
Remember too, that Pumpkin would never want you to be so sad when he goes, he loves you too much for that. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, he only wants happiness and joy in your life. Take his legacy of love and share it when you are ready, it honors his memory and distracts you from your grief. Do good in his name, donate to a local shelter, pay for the adoption of a little one to give them a chance in this world to find a forever family to love them. Giving happiness to another makes you feel a little better about yourself. Surround yourself with people who understand what you are going through, it helps to let a little of the pain escape, comfort others who are having the pain you are going through, it helps the heart to heal.
Time is the only thing that helps. Give yourself time to grieve. The loss to your life is huge but the love you have gained in your heart and soul is priceless. Please know we are here for you if you need us, we have stood where you stand. I will keep you in my thoughts today, I'll include you both in my prayers. My heart cries for what you are going through, take care, my friend.......give that sweet Pumpkin a kiss from me, and hug him tight. I wish I could hug you both! :hugs:

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't have said it any better than the last 3 posts did, I echo their words. You and he had a wonderful trip through this life together, but when one can no longer go on it must come to an end, and if his quality of life is no longer good sadly it must be him, but do not despair, he will be born again in the next life and you will see him again one day.

As you know you will feel all sorts of emotions for awhile, fight against the depression and anxiety that surely will come, stay strong, drink lots of water, eat good and get rest, but also take time to quietly sit and reflect on what you meant to each other. I think in awhile he will send you another "partner" to take care of, one who needs you and vice versa, just as Sebastian who passed two years ago tonight sent me Sylvester 3 months later, we found each other, in the darkness, he helped my mental state and I helped him, it doesn't replace them but it surely repairs broken hearts and spirits. He had a long life with you but the time spent together is never long enough, but you are helping him and he will be relieved to leave his painful Earthly body and start his new life, "their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven".

I am sorry that you have reached this inevitable point, I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless......:alright: :grouphug: :rbheart:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There comes a time when quality of life is put against quantity. When living is just existing.You, the person who loves that little boy above all else, will know when that time is reached. It will be hard, one of the hardest things you will ever do. But you are strong, filled with his love that will give you the strength you need. You can't let him suffer, it will be the last act of love you will bestow upon him, it will preserve his dignity and allow him to escape the pain his tiny body has endured and that he has fought against so hard. The bond you have formed is a strong one, almost 16 years of love and commitment, hold on to it, it is something that can never be taken from you. He saved you, and now you will save his memories to bring comfort to you in your time of grief. He was in your life for a reason, you shared your life journey for a while and he brought you joy and a reason to live. You in return gave him what he wanted above all else, your love. In this time of thanksgiving and joy, celebrate having him in your life, thank him for what he gave you, and for what he will continue to bring, his love to fill your heart. Love is a spiritual presence, although the physical body can fail, love will be eternal. You will learn a new life's order, his new path will always parallel yours until one day when it crosses again.
Remember too, that Pumpkin would never want you to be so sad when he goes, he loves you too much for that. Just as you would want for him if you were the first to go, he only wants happiness and joy in your life. Take his legacy of love and share it when you are ready, it honors his memory and distracts you from your grief. Do good in his name, donate to a local shelter, pay for the adoption of a little one to give them a chance in this world to find a forever family to love them. Giving happiness to another makes you feel a little better about yourself. Surround yourself with people who understand what you are going through, it helps to let a little of the pain escape, comfort others who are having the pain you are going through, it helps the heart to heal.
Time is the only thing that helps. Give yourself time to grieve. The loss to your life is huge but the love you have gained in your heart and soul is priceless. Please know we are here for you if you need us, we have stood where you stand. I will keep you in my thoughts today, I'll include you both in my prayers. My heart cries for what you are going through, take care, my friend.......give that sweet Pumpkin a kiss from me, and hug him tight. I wish I could hug you both! :hugs:
That is amazingly beautiful! And very comforting. Thanks so much.

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You guys are amazing. My sister sees Pumpkin as the new animal partner sent to me by our German Shepherd BeBe. BeBe was a stray who found our family in Baldwin Hills back in 1991. She died at 11 of nasal cancer, we euthanized her at a hospital in West Los Angeles in 2000. I fostered two kittens in the years following, found homes for them, but I was not ready for another companion animal until 2004. For whatever reason, it seemed right at the time. I live with Major Depressive Disorder and having Pumpkin made me realize I needed to go in for counseling and medication in 2005. My MDD is recurring. So every recurrence, I am able to keep it in check with the tools I've learned over the last several years and with Pumpkin's presence. Now I'm afraid it might get away from me again. But I'll fight on.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
:bluepaw::bluepaw::bluepaw: Did you find something to soften his poor little paws, would coconut oil be ok?:greenpaw: My heart goes out to you both. Pumpkin and you found each other when you needed each other. May the memory of the warm wonderful times sustain you in the coming trying times. By making sure he doesn't suffer with lingering deterioration you are showing the great love the two of you share and giving the greatest gift you can. Many, many years ago I was in the same position with my beloved pony Dusty when he was 22. Not letting him suffer through another winter with kidney failure was both the greatest gift I could give him and the most heartbreaking thing I had ever done. My dad and our dear vet stood at the top of the ramp crying on each others shoulders while I was down in his final resting place with him as he went to sleep with his head in my lap:rbheart: The pain does ease with time and as your heart opens again. Follow the excellent advice from the other posters and keep your dear understanding sister close. Don't sink into depression, but stay strong as Pumpkin would want you too. We are here for you. :alright::grouphug::grouphug2::hugs: :lovecat2::hearthrob::redheartpump: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Hello. This is the saddest post I've ever written here. I've come here for years with worries and just to check out other folks posts about health, behavior and fun stuff. Your advice has been uplifting and amazing and I'm grateful. Thank you all!

The Orange Pimp, Punkass, the Pimpster, The Orange Jerk, Mr. Stinkalicious (IE Pumpkin) will be helped to the bridge in a few days. He has been battling the autoimmune disease Pemphigus and the resulting diabetes now for nearly 2 years. He's almost 16. He's skin and bones, can't jump up on most things now and has lost interest in play and catnip. He has become increasingly cuddly as opposed to his usual friendly but not affectionate self. He has two paws that have become hard and cracked and painful because of his disease (s) and today he had a seizure as he lay next to me on the couch.

We met at West End Shelter for Animals, a no kill place in Ontario Calif. in 2004 1 year after my beloved Dad died. I had spiraled into depression and was nearly suicidal. Adopting him would eventually be the push I needed to decide to get treatment instead of deciding to jump in front of a commuter train. He saved my life. I had a large dog background and he was very outgoing and friendly. So it was an easy transition. But he's all feline at the heart. He charmed everyone he ever met, cat lover or not. He will leave behind fans and friends in three different states. He followed me to Northern VA in 2013 as I quit journalism and tried to make a new life. After that didn't work out, he followed me to Houston, TX where we lived for 3 years. Finally, he followed me back home to beautiful and sunny, progressive southern CA.

He's done much more for me than I ever could for him, but I tried my best. Over the next few days, I will be with him. My job assignment recently ended this week and that's when he started to show signs of much more physical degradation than I noticed before. It may have been I just didn't have the time to notice between work and school. I intend to make these final days and hours the best I can for him. He will still get his insulin, but he will eat whatever the hell he wants to eat. He may even have a few visitors.

Thanks so much again everybody. I will post a final update in a few days.
:hugs::grouphug::alright::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump::lovecat2::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update. Pumpkin crossed the bridge yesterday around 4:30 p.m. He was 15 1/2 years old. I attached some pics from his final minutes. A friend documented it. I held him for 15 mins before he got his final shot and at least 20 minutes after he was gone. I waited til he started to feel a little less warm. Its like I had to be sure he was gone. His carrier was donated and I will donate any unused medical supplies to a shelter who needs to give shots. I want to thank you all once again. It's been a wonderful learning experience. He was the best cat I could have ever hoped for. He will be cremated with his favorite toy.

Attachments

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Update. Pumpkin crossed the bridge yesterday around 4:30 p.m. He was 15 1/2 years old. I attached some pics from his final minutes. A friend documented it. I held him for 15 mins before he got his final shot and at least 20 minutes after he was gone. I waited til he started to feel a little less warm. Its like I had to be sure he was gone. His carrier was donated and I will donate any unused medical supplies to a shelter who needs to give shots. I want to thank you all once again. It's been a wonderful learning experience. He was the best cat I could have ever hoped for. He will be cremated with his favorite toy.
:grouphug::hearthrob::redheartpump::grouphug2::rbheart::vibes::vibes::vibes::angel: :lovecat2: :angel3:
I am glad you were there for him in his finale moments and that you had someone there for your support.
A friend had a ring in the shape of a heart with a little pawprint on it to hold a small quantity of her beloved dogs ashes when he passed. When she goes she will have it buried with her. I believe this is the website. There are some very lovely pieces.
Pet Cremation Jewelry
If you'd like a pet memorial that you can keep with you always, consider a cremation necklace, ring, or charm. Pet cremation jewelry looks much like any other piece of jewelry, but it includes a small sealable chamber where a small portion of cremains can be kept. This lets you honor your pet and keep them close to your heart.

Warm hugs to you from Bonny, Scott and Gypsy

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So very sorry for your loss of Pumkin. Glad you found each other and shared the time you had. It is good that you were there in the end. Our kitties make our lives so much better. What seems like the end is only temporary. Our cats go to a perfect place and are in perfect condition while they wait for us. I wish for peace to fill your heart.

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great! I would love to have a piece of jewelry with his ashes. I will use these guys. Maybe not right away because I'm between job assignments now, but soon! Thank you.

vampyre08

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is great! I would love to have a piece of jewelry with his ashes. I will use these guys. Maybe not right away because I'm between job assignments now, but soon! Thank you.