Pumpkin supplement for cats

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been reading that pumpkin is really good for cats' digestion and has good source of vitamins and fiber, what is the best pumpkin product y'all recommend? I'll make sure to introduce it slowly to my outdoor cats' diet

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is a good source of fiber and an excellent source of moisture. Pumpkin puree is more than 90% moisture. It is a questionable source of vitamins however because cats lack (or lack sufficient amounts of) many enzymes that utilize plant-based nutrients. Cats are evolutionarily designed to get those vitamins from meat. For example, cats cannot convert beta carotene to vitamin A. For the fiber and the moisture alone though, we can overlook whether or not those pumpkin vitamins are bioavailable (cat can use them.) Any pumpkin puree that's simply pumpkin (no spices, no pie filling!) or a pet/cat formulated pumpkin topper like those made by Tiki Cat and Soulistic will be suitable. Remember, it's just fiber and moisture. Anything the cat can get out of the pumpkin through digestion (maybe some small amount of iron and potassium but probably not the vitamin A from beta-carotene) is simply bonus.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Generally, veggies have no use in a cat's diet. Pumpkin is probably the only one that is ok to give once in awhile to help with constipation. There are canned and pouched cat foods that contain pumpkin. That's easy enough to include in your cat's diet. There are pet specific pumpkin only products such as Weruva's Pumpkin Patch Up you can buy at pet stores but they're no different from a large can of pumpkin puree you can buy at a store for way less.

A can of 100% pumpkin puree can be portioned out into small cat serving sized portions (use ice cube trays) and frozen to use whenever needed. Any brand works, even store generic. It just has to be 100% pumpkin only, not pumpkin pie filling or anything else. Libby's is one brand name you can find in grocery stores and big box stores.

For digestion help, look into probiotics. Here's some info:

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat eats Farmina venison and pumpkin wet food every day. It is the only food besides his raw dehydrated food that he will eat. He eats 1-11/2 cans a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Pumpkin is a good source of fiber and an excellent source of moisture. Pumpkin puree is more than 90% moisture. It is a questionable source of vitamins however because cats lack (or lack sufficient amounts of) many enzymes that utilize plant-based nutrients. Cats are evolutionarily designed to get those vitamins from meat. For example, cats cannot convert beta carotene to vitamin A. For the fiber and the moisture alone though, we can overlook whether or not those pumpkin vitamins are bioavailable (cat can use them.) Any pumpkin puree that's simply pumpkin (no spices, no pie filling!) or a pet/cat formulated pumpkin topper like those made by Tiki Cat and Soulistic will be suitable. Remember, it's just fiber and moisture. Anything the cat can get out of the pumpkin through digestion (maybe some small amount of iron and potassium but probably not the vitamin A from beta-carotene) is simply bonus.
Interesting analysis of the nutrition value, than you so much
I think I'll look for a supplement, it's just tough trying to feed 20 cats and making sure they get the suplements ;

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Generally, veggies have no use in a cat's diet. Pumpkin is probably the only one that is ok to give once in awhile to help with constipation. There are canned and pouched cat foods that contain pumpkin. That's easy enough to include in your cat's diet. There are pet specific pumpkin only products such as Weruva's Pumpkin Patch Up you can buy at pet stores but they're no different from a large can of pumpkin puree you can buy at a store for way less.

A can of 100% pumpkin puree can be portioned out into small cat serving sized portions (use ice cube trays) and frozen to use whenever needed. Any brand works, even store generic. It just has to be 100% pumpkin only, not pumpkin pie filling or anything else. Libby's is one brand name you can find in grocery stores and big box stores.

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise

[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
IM going to look into this product and the Weruva one. Thank you so so much
It's just that my outdoor cats seem to have stomach issues here and there and there's no really an effective supplement that can help them with their digestion. Would I add a little bit of pumpkin to each plate? IMG_6519.PNG
This is how i feed them daily

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
What’s a good amount to add per meal? A teaspoon, once a day? How often per week?
those are things im still trying to figure out, my 24 cats would have me run out of pumpkin the first day i get it for them lol

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat eats Farmina venison and pumpkin wet food every day. It is the only food besides his raw dehydrated food that he will eat. He eats 1-11/2 cans a day.
is his stool and digestion appearing healthy?

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats won't eat pumpkin straight up or mixed with food but may eat canned cat food that contains pumpkin.
Sylvie is one of those cats. I tried adding a bit of Libby's pumpkin puree to her food and she refused it, but she eats Rawz rabbit & pumpkin canned food with no complaints.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What’s a good amount to add per meal? A teaspoon, once a day? How often per week?
Every cat is different but based on our experience, I'd start with a lot less! I put small amounts in our cats' homemade food. Each batch gets a heaping teaspoon, each batch is 11 meals. So each cat gets one heaping teaspoon over 11 days. We feed it because one cat has a tendency to get constipated. The right amount helps but too much can make her constipated, too. (Pumpkin can work both ways.)

I've always used either Weruva's packets or (now) Beechnut baby food. It's organic pumpkin and (at least where I am) cheaper to buy and easier to use than Weruva since it's in a little jar instead of a pouch. It's much, hm, more pureed than Weruva -- it looks very, very different -- so maybe it would be worth trying if a cat hasn't liked Weruva pumpkin.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
so I plan on trying (in no particular order):
-Weruva pumpkin cat supplement
-Farmina cat food
- Libby's pumpkin
- Tiki Cat
- Soulistic
I will post an update soon on here on which one I'm currently trying and if the cats like it :)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I second the Farmina foods with pumpkin. I don't feed them everyday but like the mix of proteins, Pumpkin & venison, pumpkin & quail and duck and pumpkin.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the Farmina foods with pumpkin. I don't feed them everyday but like the mix of proteins, Pumpkin & venison, pumpkin & quail and duck and pumpkin.
The Farmina Venison and pumpkin is the only wet food that my cat will eat more than a few bites of at a time. He will kind of eat the duck and quail ones. I don't know what I'll do if they stop making it, or he decides he hates it.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
L livismom1
Have you tried the other Farmina lines - lamb and blueberry or wild boar and apple might be liked.
There is also quinoa & coconut Varieties.
Also, I think it may be Tiki Cat who does a similar food with pumpkin but with chicken.

livismom1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
L livismom1
Have you tried the other Farmina lines - lamb and blueberry or wild boar and apple might be liked.
There is also quinoa & coconut Varieties.
Also, I think it may be Tiki Cat who does a similar food with pumpkin but with chicken.
My cat is a jerk! Lol. He hates everything. He will nibble on the boar and apple flavor. He despises the quinoa one I tried. He hates every other brand of wet food we've tried. He was fed trash dry food (meow mix and kit n kaboodle) for over 6 years before coming to live with me. So the fact that after a year, he is finally off dry food completely and I have found 1 wet food and 1 raw dehydrated food that he will eat, is a win. My daughters farm cats have gotten pounds and pounds of wet and dry food that Oliver won't eat.