Pumpkin is nearly back to his old self but continues to lose weight

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I posted a thread about the colour of Pumpkin's poop not long ago and that seems to have straightened out, whatever the problem was. He's pooping more and pees ok, so I tossed the extra (disposable) litter box and now he's back to using just one. He has another one in storage I can drag out if need be.

I've got food all over the house for him but I am concerned that he continues to lose weight. When I posted that other thread, I believe that I said he weighed 9.7 pounds on his baby scale. At the vet a few months ago he weighed 10.2. Today he was either 9.3 or 9.4, depending on how he stood on the scale. I tested it with a small bag of litter beforehand, so I believe this is accurate. So, Pumpkin lost 3-4 ounces in about two weeks. He's starting to feel bony around his shoulder blades and hips, which scares me.

He's not acting sick. Just the other day he was running and jumping on our extra-wide window sills. When I got up this morning I found that he played with some toys overnight. So why he's going through this escapes me. He is 100% better than he was about a week ago where he was sleeping most of the time and ate very little.

I feed him Purina Kitten Chow, which he's been on for over a year to help with weight gain. He has a variety of different cans of Fancy Feast, some of which is formulated for kittens (again, this is for weight gain). He has soft food and water in the living room and bedroom and plenty of kibble if he wants it.

This afternoon I was working in the kitchen and noticed that Pumpkin got up from his nap and licked his chops....either he finished snacking or he was getting ready to hurl. So being the paranoid Mommy that I am, I went to the bedroom and tried to get him to eat some treats and take his high-cal gel, similar to Laxatone. He refused both and sat in the corner on our bed with his back turned to me (see attached picture). Btw, he did not throw up.

A few minutes later he went back to his office chair and I managed to get some of that ointment on his ear that the vet prescribed. It's called "Mirataz," something he was on a few years ago and it helped him alot.

What am I doing wrong? is it possible that all the stress I've been under with my health and my own doctor being negligent, neighbour issues etc are getting to him? I don't want my stress to rub off on him. I'm trying to figure out what else to do but I am at wit's end, trying to figure out if there is more I can do.

I will call the vet on Monday morning and try to get him in next week. I am scared. What do you think? Thank you.

Attachments

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a previous thread that says how old Pumpkin is and when his last blood work was done, I didn't find it (sorry). So, those are my first two questions.

One of the things that comes to mind with a cat losing weight is hyperthyroidism, which is sadly more common that one might think.
And, if Pumpkin were to be like my Feeby, the only symptom that drew our attention was weight loss - none of the other typical ones like ravenous appetite.

Sometimes when Mirataz is given, it is accompanied by an anti-nausea med. That is on the basis that there can't be anything worse than a cat who is hungry but is nauseous at the same time! Mirataz does have some anti-emetic properties, so that might be enough for your cat to avoid nausea.

Sure, stress can change a cat's behavior and that will vary by the level of stress - probably not just weight loss though. But, ruling out health issues, is normally considered the best first step.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have a previous thread that says how old Pumpkin is and when his last blood work was done, I didn't find it (sorry). So, those are my first two questions.

One of the things that comes to mind with a cat losing weight is hyperthyroidism, which is sadly more common that one might think.
And, if Pumpkin were to be like my Feeby, the only symptom that drew our attention was weight loss - none of the other typical ones like ravenous appetite.

Sometimes when Mirataz is given, it is accompanied by an anti-nausea med. That is on the basis that there can't be anything worse than a cat who is hungry but is nauseous at the same time! Mirataz does have some anti-emetic properties, so that might be enough for your cat to avoid nausea.

Sure, stress can change a cat's behavior and that will vary by the level of stress - probably not just weight loss though. But, ruling out health issues, is normally considered the best first step.
Pumpkin is around 13-14 years of age. He gets checkups every year but the most recent bloodwork was a couple of years ago. When I took him for a checkup this past September they did no bloodwork. I decided to pass on that because he howls like crazy and it breaks my heart to hear him when they do this.

I have no choice but to get him in for more bloodwork and possibly a tummy xray and go from there.

He throws up once in awhile but not often enough to cause any alarm. When he does, it's usually a hairball, or sometimes some white froth or yellow fluid.

He got up to join me in the livingroom a few minutes ago, ate some treats and sat down next to me. He's eating more kibble as I write this. The MIrataz might be working already, I gave it to him about an hour ago.

Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no choice but to get him in for more bloodwork and possibly a tummy xray and go from there.
Some vets now automatically include a T-4 check in the blood work for older cats, so just make sure your does or have it added - that is what will check for the thyroid level.

Keep us posted.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided to pass on that because he howls like crazy and it breaks my heart to hear him when they do this.
Oh boy, I know what you're talking about, I had to help my housecall vet since he works by himself, last year with a big blood draw because we needed a number of tests, plus a urine needle "stick".

I'm honestly not sure I can do that again, so I have to say I don't mind going to the brick 'n mortar vet where they take the cats into the back and do that there :vibes::redheartpump: :hugs:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh boy, I know what you're talking about, I had to help my housecall vet since he works by himself, last year with a big blood draw because we needed a number of tests, plus a urine needle "stick".

I'm honestly not sure I can do that again, so I have to say I don't mind going to the brick 'n mortar vet where they take the cats into the back and do that there :vibes::redheartpump: :hugs:
I remember it very well....we were in the exam room and they took him in the back as usual....which I always dread and so does he. Wherever it is, it's not far away because I can hear him perfectly. I cry every time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try earplugs, seriously (Macks silicone ones are great) and I reminded myself of this with this post :).

My vet just expanded their clinic. There is a lot of echo for some strange reason and everything in the back can now be heard in the front.

The calmer you can be, the better for him :vibes::heartshape:

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to put him back on the scale tomorrow and see about his weight. Pumpkin is doing so much better. He pooped twice last night....both bm's were less than an hour apart and it's little wonder he seems so much happier.

So for now I believe it's no longer an emergency but I still need to address his weight issues. Increasing the number of locations around our apartment where he can find food is helping, and he LOVES that gravy I bought for him! When I washed his dishes this morning I found that Pumpkin ate ALL of his gravy. It looked like he licked the bowl clean! lol

dianajune

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful update, thank you ❣

What was it?
Thank you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's support. It's been rough between his health issues and mine.
Here's a pic of his new favorite snack. I will buy this as long as he wants it!
Resized_20230131_233218.jpeg